OT: - The Old, The Obscure, and the Forgotten - Round 3 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, The Obscure, and the Forgotten - Round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, I'm sure many of us have heard of the Grand Ol' Opry.

Here are a couple of old songs from the hey dey of the "barn dance" style radio shows from the late 50's and 60's. (Thanks for exposing me to this silliness dad.) The logic almost works on this one...

Reaction Score
Homer and Jethro was another duo who made a living from this kind of thing...

A parody of a Johnny Horton song. I have a Canadian navy veteran for exposing me to this song.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's one I stumbled upon recently. This is one of my favorite Leonard Cohen songs, here performed on a BBC show in 1967:

Reaction Score
1. Go to YouTube and search for a song you like.
2. Once you have the song, highlight and copy it from the address bar on the top. You accomplish that by doing a right mouse click, highlight the address, and then select "copy" from the menu that will appear.
3. On the UCONN website, once you are in the song thread, hit reply, then right click, go to "paste" and the song address should appear.

Hopefully that does it, if not please let me know any q's you might have...!
Many thanks. I may have to ask my 9 year old grandson to do it.

Reaction Score

Look forward to your contributions - and I'd be a double cooked goose without help from my son with this stuff over the years. :D

Reaction Score
If I might add one additional step that has saved me some potential embarrassment, I use the 'Preview' function in the upper right corner to check and make sure that I've copied and pasted what I actually wanted to before I hit 'Post'. A couple times it has been a wise move for me.

Reaction Score
Santana - this one from the Moonflower album was a gorgeous recording, but damn, it was pretty well ignored and overlooked:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Man...this thread has me confused! If it's just old, that could be pretty much anything. But some of these songs seem too famous to me to be obscure or forgotten. But what do I know?

Anyway, I already defined the 90s as kinda old, so 80s is even more so. These guys certainly weren't unknown, but the hair metal scene got quite saturated for a while and they were never the most famous or popular. I think they're probably my favorite from that era. Here's one of many of their songs I dig.

Reaction Score
I encourage everyone to give this a listen. Brilliant American music.

"Early in the Mornin'" Recorded 1947-1948 by Alan Lomax, Parchment Prison Farm, Mississippi

Reaction Score
Man...this thread has me confused! If it's just old, that could be pretty much anything. But some of these songs seem too famous to me to be obscure or forgotten. But what do I know?

Sorry for any confusion - what I was thinking: many, many, songs are old of course, but you have a favorite, maybe it was never well known, or maybe its still well known, doesn't make any difference, you still like it. Now some songs are simply obscure, whether they be old or fairly recent....they are obscure. And forgotten - maybe it was a well known tune from long ago, but heck, its been lost to time and could use a little re-birth. I was just trying to uncover different categories for us to play with.

Reaction Score
If I knew how to enter a song on this thread it would be “Those Were The Days My Friend” by Mary Hopkin. If someone could snatch it off of YouTube and put it on here, I’d appreciate it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Now here's a great Van song thats always been obscure and forgotten about:

(Star of the County Down)
Here is Loreena McKennitt doing the Seven Joys of Mary to the tune of Star of the County Down (which wasn’t written for either set of lyrics):

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

My all-time favorite Rock chick. I remember watching her sing on the "Sonny and Cher Show" and performing a song with Cher. Linda just blew her away with her strong voice and sweet demeanor. Great song

Reaction Score
My all-time favorite Rock chick. I remember watching her sing on the "Sonny and Cher Show" and performing a song with Cher. Linda just blew her away with her strong voice and sweet demeanor. Great song
One of my old favorites by both the Eagles and Linda Ronstadt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak