OT: - The Old, The Obscure, and the Forgotten - Round 3 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, The Obscure, and the Forgotten - Round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looking at the OP, it's a bit open to interpretation, but maybe all the songs are supposed to be old, and can be forgotten, or never were known, or something. But then, how old is old? Time flies, this album is from 25 years ago. Was kind of a hit in the alt country scene. Ryan Adams went on to some acclaim solo and in other groups, but seems like you don't hear anything about Whiskeytown anymore. I had this album for a while, seemed like it was hit and miss, but I really like this one then and still do.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think I've got the story right on this. John Fogerty originally released this as The Blue Ridge Rangers without attaching his name to it. Later got repackaged. It's a solo project he did. Album of classic country/folk cover songs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess we're calling 40-50 years ago old. Eagles (before Bernie Leadon left the band and after Don Felder joined - I think that's him on the steel guitar). With Linda Ronstadt. Guess this one's a little obscure too. Song was originally recorded by Wanda Jackson (think I'll find something for her later.)

Silver Thread and Golden Needles

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wanda Jackson (Queen of Rockabilly) and Jack White covering a (newer actually 2006) Dylan tune. Supposedly the song was inspired by Alicia Keys. We'll go with obscure here. But "old"? Rockabilly sound.

Thunder On the Mountain

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorta old (1978). A Mann and Weil (with collaboration from Leiber and Stoller). Originally recorded by the Drifters (1963). But IMHO George Benson did it much better.

Here's a live version. Enjoy.

On Broadway

Reaction Score
I'm currently reading Neil Young's autobiography "Shaky' - it's very insightful and a highly enjoyable read. Turns out the first song of significance that he wrote was this beautiful gem - "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing":

Reaction Score
Great video for a great song!

I distinctly recall thinking it was Ray Charles singing the first time I heard this song. Was very surprised when the DJ said "Sir Douglas Quintet" :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom