OT: - The Old, The Obscure, and the Forgotten - Round 3 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, The Obscure, and the Forgotten - Round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kaizen - had to add this one, which I believe is the original version, performed by the Springfield's:

Thanks Scud49. I didn't know there are so many versions of this song.

"Silver Threads and Golden Needles" is a song written by Dick Reynolds and Jack Rhodes.[1] It was first recorded by Wanda Jackson in 1956. The original lyrics, as performed by Jackson, contain a verse not usually included in later versions, which also often differed in other minor details.

Reaction Score
Another highly talented group that certainly is way back in the rear view mirror now - Poco. This song, Barbados, is from the late 70's:

Reaction Score
Very powerful message from James Brown, but I think this song has always been somewhat obscure:

Reaction Score
I bought this 12" EP in the early 80s to get a different obscure Dire Straits song; Twistin' By the Pool, and this cut (even more obscure) was on that vinyl.
Bought it at a basement record store in Burlington, VT that is still in business
I was surprised I could find it to link but I guess everything is on YouTube these days. That's a good thing....
This has a Jazz feel to it with Mark singing scat and some tasty piano.

Reaction Score

PoppaBear included Mary Hopkin in this thread. I heard on the radio that today is her 72nd birthday, so happy birthday Mary. Her biggest hit was Those Were the Days in 1968. For today’s trivia, in 1971 Mary married Tony Visconti who was one of the boys from my old neighborhood in Brooklyn. He was a couple of years ahead of me in high school. Her song Goodbye was written by Paul McCartney who appears in this video.

Reaction Score
Here's a cut i listened to a lot in my undergrad days, the record is long toast but it keeps coming back in other formats:

Reaction Score
Oh yea, Savoy Brown- these guys used to get a good amount of air time on Radio Luxembourg when I was over there in the late 60's, early 70's. I used to hear this great tune a lot back then:

Reaction Score
Oh yea, Savoy Brown- these guys used to get a good amount of air time on Radio Luxembourg when I was over there in the late 60's, early 70's. I used to hear this great tune a lot back then:
My senior year at UC Santa Barbara Savoy Brown opened for Ten Years After in Pasadena. I drove 150 miles to hear them and was completely blown away! I drove back to Isla Vista, then turned around the next day and drove down for the second performance! Both bands put on an incredible show (IMO) that i have never forgotten, now 52 years later. Kim Simmons, Chris Youlden...those guys were working at 120% !! (Not to mention TYA, who proceeded to dominate)

Reaction Score
Guess i'll throw in a TYA cut, this from Woodstock where they hit it out of the park, all members of the band were firing on all cylinders:

Reaction Score
Bruce Cockburn - from our neighbor to the north, did some great stuff way back when, like this one - just a gorgeous acoustic piece of music:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom