OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 22 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Reaction Score
Michael Dinner - he put out one album in the early 70's called the Great Pretender. It had one song on it that was simply delightful - "Jamaica". The melody and the steel drums are just great:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
One of the other threads reminded me of these guys. This might've been a minor hit for them from their debut album in the 90s, but I think they were quickly forgotten.

Reaction Score
Here is a classic song from the golden age of folk music from the late 50's and 60's. It is one of my dad's favorite songs. This version is by Seamus Kennedy, a local irish/folk balladeer.

So, the song is old and the performer is fairly obscure...

Reaction Score
Emy Jackson 夢みるマイポーイ Say Yes My Boy 1965, very popular song as I was a kid.

Reaction Score
Another one from Emy Jackson. She is the first Japanese artist to have sold a million records singing in English (for Crying In A Storm)
- Crying In A Storm (1966)

Reaction Score
Here is an old favorite of mine. "In Houston, we not only sing, but we dance just as good as we want."

The lyric is actually “we dance just as good as we walk” but a definite great tune.

Reaction Score
Obscure to be sure. Actually I own a copy of this...wonder what it's worth? Any offers?

Reaction Score
Obviously not forgotten or obscure, but I felt I had to post one Beatles tune. So I've picked "I'll Be Back" - this one I'd say did get lost in all the frenzy back in the 60's, but damn, I think it's brilliant. John Lennon's lead vocals, George Harrison's lead guitar, the 3 part harmony...its haunting and beautiful:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Obviously not forgotten or obscure, but I felt I had to post one Beatles tune. So I've picked "I'll Be Back" - this one I'd say did get lost in all the frenzy back in the 60's, but damn, I think it's brilliant. John Lennon's lead vocals, George Harrison's lead guitar, the 3 part harmony...its haunting and beautiful:

The second side of A Hard Day's Night was put together in about a week. They were told they needed to put together a second side for the soundtrack album, and they had nothing. So the writing, arranging, recording, and mixing happened in a week.

And I think it is, bar none, the best side of music the Beatles ever did, and one of the best anyone ever did. You can't do that, Things we said today, I'll cry instead, this one -- all absolutely amazing.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
When I saw that they actually had musicians playing guitars, I thought that might improve ruin the Shaggs, but this is just priceless. Some of them actually crack up during the recording. Here they are, the old, obscure, horrible, but very influential Shaggs:

Reaction Score
The second side of A Hard Day's Night was put together in about a week. They were told they needed to put together a second side for the soundtrack album, and they had nothing. So the writing, arranging, recording, and mixing happened in a week.

And I think it is, bar none, the best side of music the Beatles ever did, and one of the best anyone ever did. You can't do that, Things we said today, I'll cry instead, this one -- all absolutely amazing.

Yea BB, I agree....pretty mind boggling how these guys all got together - in Liverpool of all places - and what they did album wise in about 6 years. I have a lot of favorite groups and artists, but it's like Tom Petty once said - "Hey, there's the Beatles....then there's everyone else".

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Going waaaaay back to the 90s (Jacqueline and Pauline are identical twins)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

@Bigboote I think "Things We Said Today" is a fantastic song, and one of my Beatles favorites.

Reaction Score
@Bigboote I think "Things We Said Today" is a fantastic song, and one of my Beatles favorites.

And Mary McCaslin did a fabulous cover of it- I used to hear it on KTCL Ft Collins, Co. a good amount back in the 70's:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
And Mary McCaslin did a fabulous cover of it- I used to hear it on KTCL Ft Collins, Co. a good amount back in the 70's:

Ms McCaslin has done some really good work over the years. I always liked her "Old Friends" song. "The gifts they've given stay with us everyday..."

Bama fan

Reaction Score
This one is not very old, but it is obscure to me at least. Never heard it before yesterday, but the guy is good. It was on a soundtrack to an Italian series I watched.

Reaction Score
Ms McCaslin has done some really good work over the years. I always liked her "Old Friends" song. "The gifts they've given stay with us everyday..."
Oh you bet Bama, that was another KTCL favorite, they played a lot of her, Kate Wolfe, Joni, Bonnie Raitt, Judy Collins, Wendy Waldman, Emmy Lou, Laura Nyro, etc

Reaction Score
Another "Don't Let Go" version, this time from Commander Cody accompanied by some good old time film clips:

I think the Ross sisters are at 0:45. They were extraordinary acrobats. I'll find them and post later. Thanks for the C. Cody add.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom