The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022 | Page 29 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2022

Reaction Score
It’s all about the pieces staying in tact there’s a ton of variables with this team, it’s how this roster was constructed. All about getting hot at the right time. Will have to catch the Astros by suprise gonna need unsung hero’s in the postseason.

Reaction Score
Sorry but it’s reality. Nothing has changed over the last few years, because of Cashman, and this roster feel pitching to hitting isn’t set up to win a series against a solid winning team. I will root like hell but you all know I have said this for years. Love my Yanks but Hal and Cash have stayed with the pattern of the HR or nothing. We will have 4-5 hitters in the lineup at .225 or less. That’s not good baseball sorry if you disagree.

Waiting to eat crow and I’d love to, but doubt I will.
The point is: I’m not disagreeing with your points. I just figure, hey, it’s October: playoffs are coming. Anything can happen.

I’m a very objective person, but playoff time when fans need to throw that objectivity away and root root root. The Giants 2008 Super Bowl and UConn’s 2014 title “bucked reality” (I get reality is what actually happened, but I think you get my point).

Reaction Score
The point is: I’m not disagreeing with your points. I just figure, hey, it’s October: playoffs are coming. Anything can happen.

I’m a very objective person, but playoff time when fans need to throw that objectivity away and root root root. The Giants 2008 Super Bowl and UConn’s 2014 title “bucked reality” (I get reality is what actually happened, but I think you get my point).
How often does the best team win it all. Gonna need to get hot and lucky to beat the Astros, which is always a factor the hope is you play like the team in first half of season and learn from the torrid slump we were in.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
looie throwing 100 mph peas.
everybody tuning up.
'Giancarlo Stanton decided that only 400 feet was a little too puny for his liking:
Ho-hum, just a casual 457-foot howitzer from the big guy. That secured Stanton’s seventh career 30-homer season and gave him 377 for his career, tying Jeff Kent and Norm Cash for 76th on the all-time list. His next one will tie Matt Williams, and two after that are a couple Hall of Famers in Tony Pérez and Orlando Cepeda at 379. Stanton has really begun to enter some lofty territory.'

thirty-two years old.
Yankees 3, Rangers 1: Sevy twirls no-hit mastery in seven

Reaction Score
looie throwing 100 mph peas.
everybody tuning up.
'Giancarlo Stanton decided that only 400 feet was a little too puny for his liking:
Ho-hum, just a casual 457-foot howitzer from the big guy. That secured Stanton’s seventh career 30-homer season and gave him 377 for his career, tying Jeff Kent and Norm Cash for 76th on the all-time list. His next one will tie Matt Williams, and two after that are a couple Hall of Famers in Tony Pérez and Orlando Cepeda at 379. Stanton has really begun to enter some lofty territory.'

thirty-two years old.
Yankees 3, Rangers 1: Sevy twirls no-hit mastery in seven

They really need that Seve we saw last night to make a move. That’s a must!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
62!!!!

All Rise - the new home king of the American League.
So, the NL still honors Bonds and Sosa? Judge isn't the all-time season leader?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
So, the NL still honors Bonds and Sosa? Judge isn't the all-time season leader?
Not biting on this one.

Judge is the AL season home run leader with 62.

Reaction Score
Not biting on this one.

Judge is the AL season home run leader with 62.

He’s the all time leader in a single season for baseball period.

The 8.5 hat sized monster that hit 73 as well as the runner ups Sosa and McGuire didn’t do it the right way. Everyone has an opinion but baseball is it worst own hypocrite. You can’t say “yes” to ones record for HRs but then keep that same guy out of the HOF for cheating, can you?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He’s the all time leader in a single season for baseball period.

The 8.5 hat sized monster that hit 73 as well as the runner ups Sosa and McGuire didn’t do it the right way. Everyone has an opinion but baseball is it worst own hypocrite. You can’t say “yes” to ones record for HRs but then keep that same guy out of the HOF for cheating, can you?r
Judge has his own advantages over Maris and Ruth in terms of training, supplements, and whatnot. And he's a behemoth to begin with. He never had to go through what Maris did (or Aaron for career HRs) regarding death threats for attempting to break Ruth's record and for not being the fan favorite Mantle was in '61.

Bonds won 4 MVPs during his big head period. The BBWWA votes for MVP. It also votes for HoF. So there are your hypocrites, not MLB powers that be. if you'd like more hypocrisy, Bud Selig is in the HoF and he basically sanctioned the whole steroid era.

So, records are what records are. But personally, I still find Maris's record more impressive because of the personal cost to him. And Ruth's for that matter, as it was fewer games.

Fwiw, Bonds was on track for HoF even before steroids. He was on pace for 51 dingers during the strike season of 1994. And he wasn't going out of his way to try for HRs until after seeing other roiders get paid. It's certainly within reason Bonds could've challenged 61 w/o PEDs if he made that his goal.

Even with the PEDs, looking at just 2001, Bonds averaged a HR every 6.52 abs. Judge averaged a HR every 9.19. PEDs improve recovery and maybe increase muscle mass. But you still need to get bat on ball. And Bonds did that like no other.

Lastly, if you really think Bonds was a fraud when he'd already had multiple 40+ HR seasons before PEDs, let's remember that Judge only hit 39 last year.

One thing Judge has going for him is the cosmos. The Yankees record today is 99-62. So maybe achieving the record last night was in the stars.

But you believe what you want, I'm not going to stop you. But you do sound like a homer in doing so.

Reaction Score
Judge has his own advantages over Maris and Ruth in terms of training, supplements, and whatnot. And he's a behemoth to begin with. He never had to go through what Maris did (or Aaron for career HRs) regarding death threats for attempting to break Ruth's record and for not being the fan favorite Mantle was in '61.

Bonds won 4 MVPs during his big head period. The BBWWA votes for MVP. It also votes for HoF. So there are your hypocrites, not MLB powers that be. if you'd like more hypocrisy, Bud Selig is in the HoF and he basically sanctioned the whole steroid era.

So, records are what records are. But personally, I still find Maris's record more impressive because of the personal cost to him. And Ruth's for that matter, as it was fewer games.

Fwiw, Bonds was on track for HoF even before steroids. He was on pace for 51 dingers during the strike season of 1994. And he wasn't going out of his way to try for HRs until after seeing other roiders get paid. It's certainly within reason Bonds could've challenged 61 w/o PEDs if he made that his goal.

Even with the PEDs, looking at just 2001, Bonds averaged a HR every 6.52 abs. Judge averaged a HR every 9.19. PEDs improve recovery and maybe increase muscle mass. But you still need to get bat on ball. And Bonds did that like no other.

Lastly, if you really think Bonds was a fraud when he'd already had multiple 40+ HR seasons before PEDs, let's remember that Judge only hit 39 last year.

One thing Judge has going for him is the cosmos. The Yankees record today is 99-62. So maybe achieving the record last night was in the stars.

But you believe what you want, I'm not going to stop you. But you do sound like a homer in doing so.

Wow I didn’t need to see all the numbers but thanks. By the way not at all a homer if it was Ohtani I’d say the same so you’re wrong there but nice try. And did I say Bonds was always a fraud no I didn’t so wrong again. He was already a HOFer before his hat grew 2 sizes I’ve always said that so don’t go there. Bonds was a stud the best player in the game before the needle hurt the game, not close. Sosa wasn’t a very good player but suddenly became Hulk Hogan and was good. McGuire, solid HR hitter already not great overall but again suddenly great. Say what you want they all gained major numbers because they did the needle. It improved their batting averages and with that their power was incredible.

I knew Bonds path prior and I know why he did it, feel for him. But he’s a cheater no way around it. Should he be in the Hall, well if Papi is how is he not? Three times the baseball player.

But no matter, the numbers when he did it just mean zero to me. You can think what you want that’s fine. But baseball late 90searly00s wasn’t too credible. Just me!

Reaction Score

Kind of a silly post. Judge had 52 homers as a rookie and was robbed of the MVP. Only thing that has slowed him to this point is a litany of injuries.

We all know Bonds was 1A or 1B without steroids and a first ballot hall of famer but he was a skinny 5 tool consistent 35-40 homer guy without them and an inhuman 73 homer guy with him. The strike year was Bonds best power season before he started taking roids in '98 (that we know of) but he was still only in 5th place for homers.

Of course he should be in the HOF along with Clemens, McGwire, Sosa...it was all sanctioned by MLB just give a little context to what happened, unfortunately MLB still wants to pretend it didn't all happen.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I struggle with steroids tainting the numbers issue.

On one hand, clearly, steroids helped guys like Sosa, Big Mac and Bonds all bash home runs.

On the other, you could be the strongest guy in the world with the shortest recovery time after games / workouts, but you still need to make contact at the plate. Bonds was an insane hitter, batting .328 the season he set the record, with 177 walks (and only 93 strikeouts).

They cheated. It helped them. But to what degree, we will never know.

Either way, Judge has hit more home runs than any hitter ever in American League history. Judge has closed the case on that.

Reaction Score

On one hand, clearly, steroids helped guys like Sosa, Big Mac and Bonds all bash home runs.

On the other, you could be the strongest guy in the world with the shortest recovery time after games / workouts, but you still need to make contact at the plate. Bonds was an insane hitter, batting .328 the season he set the record, with 177 walks (and only 93 strikeouts).

Either way, Judge has hit more home runs than any hitter ever in American League history. Judge has closed the case on that.
It helped them all tremendously, that's why people take them. They deserve to be in the Hall because they are HOF worthy players (Bonds best position player of generation, Clemens best pitcher of his generation) and baseball condoned it. I never got the whole, you still have to hit the ball argument. Yes, you do it just makes you way better at it than you were before you took steroids.

To what degree did it help? Just look at the before and after.

Reaction Score

There were some better batting averages through the period but the numbers didn't increase like HRs for sure so who is to know. Although a couple .362 and .370 averages for an already good hitter in Bonds makes me believe he was seeing the ball really well.

As you say, is what it is. For the old timers it's Judge, for those who disregard the period it's Bonds. I'm fine with it either way, just wished for Bonds sake he didn't jump in the mud he was already too good for baseball to ruin that!

Reaction Score
I'm fine with it either way, just wished for Bonds sake he didn't jump in the mud he was already too good for baseball to ruin that!
That's what frustrates me the most with Bonds. If it's true that Bonds didn't take steroids prior to the 2008 season, then he would have been a no-brainer Hall of Famer prior to his steroid use.

In terms of the record, in my mind, Judge is the true king of home runs, but in reality, my opinion means nothing. Everyone knows the steroid usage by Bonds, Sosa and McGuire, so I don't need an * or removal of their achievements to validate that Judge has done.

Reaction Score
Without Aaron Judge this team doesn’t win 80 F ing games this year not 80 and you have writers who say he shouldn’t be MVP it’s the biggest BS statement I’ve ever heard.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Aroldis, we bid you adieu. You may now get all the tats you desire.

w.t.f?!?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom