The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021

Reaction Score
What worse that 3 runs in two games against Detroit? How about 3 in 3 games! They are getting shutout through 7 innings. Detroit is going to sweep them. Cashman has a big problem with this team...he needs to take bold action.

And....the Clint Frazier experiment needs to end. The guy has talent, but seems to have a mental block in New York. I have no doubt he will eventually hit...but it won't be with the Yankees.

Don’t you worry we have the best pitcher and baseball. This team is sad to watch and between Cashman and Boone the management is dreadful. 90 games is talked like it’s a done deal with this team but without drastic changes or trades they will be lucky with 85.

They may be better than the Orioles I guess but for now, that is all in the East. What a pitiful weekend in Detroit embarrassing. George would be chopping people when they get home I wish someone in ownership had the smarts to do the same!

Reaction Score
Don’t you worry we have the best pitcher and baseball. This team is sad to watch and between Cashman and Boone the management is dreadful. 90 games is talked like it’s a done deal with this team but without drastic changes or trades they will be lucky with 85.

They may be better than the Orioles I guess but for now, that is all in the East. What a pitiful weekend in Detroit embarrassing. George would be chopping people when they get home I wish someone in ownership had the smarts to do the same!
They are the worst yankee team I have seen since 1966.

Reaction Score
They are the worst yankee team I have seen since 1966.

I think Horace Clark, Jake Gibbs, Stick Michael, Ron Woods and Steve Whitaker could hit as well as half this lineup right? Lol.....funny stuff but scary that it may be close to the truth.

Reaction Score
I think Horace Clark, Jake Gibbs, Stick Michael, Ron Woods and Steve Whitaker could hit as well as half this lineup right? Lol.....funny stuff but scary that it may be close to the truth.
They had decent pitching (Stottlemeyer, Stan Bahnsen, Al Downing, Steve Hamilton, and Jim Bouton), Whitey Ford was still on the team but was not the pitcher he had been. Arguably the best hitter that year was Joe Pepitone. Mantle had 23 homers that year but was in so much pain he could barely run around the bases. Maris was in his twilight as well. The team was a team of old guys mostly, with the exception of rookie Bobby Murcer who didn’t see a lot of pt yet.

Reaction Score
They had decent pitching (Stottlemeyer, Stan Bahnsen, Al Downing, Steve Hamilton, and Jim Bouton), Whitey Ford was still on the team but was not the pitcher he had been. Arguably the best hitter that year was Joe Pepitone. Mantle had 23 homers that year but was in so much pain he could barely run around the bases. Maris was in his twilight as well. The team was a team of old guys mostly, with the exception of rookie Bobby Murcer who didn’t see a lot of pt yet.

Murcer was my first favorite player in all reality, Stan Bahnsen as well. During wiffle ball games I wound up lefty like Bobby did in prep to hit and when I pitched I brought the ball behind my back like Stan B did. I have both autographs in my scrapbook. Murcers first full year I believe was ‘69 and he then had a string of nice years but never had a 100 rbi season which I can’t belive despite it being tougher then with mostly crappy teams.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
During wiffle ball games I wound up lefty like Bobby did in prep to hit
Oddly the only Yankee batting stance I remember from the 60s is Fred Talbot's. Elbows straight out, 90 degrees from the letters and hands 90 degrees from the letters, more than a foot out from his chest. Never saw another stance remotely like that. Granted he was a pitcher, and I don't understand how he could even manage his .143 with that stance, but it was as memorable as Dick McAuliffe completely facing the pitcher with the most open stance ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another run today on 5 hits. Let’s keep trotting these guys out there lol. Cliffy please help me with your positive thoughts about this team, you’re tough to find when they’re not winning.

Reaction Score
Murcer was my first favorite player in all reality, Stan Bahnsen as well. During wiffle ball games I wound up lefty like Bobby did in prep to hit and when I pitched I brought the ball behind my back like Stan B did. I have both autographs in my scrapbook. Murcers first full year I believe was ‘69 and he then had a string of nice years but never had a 100 rbi season which I can’t belive despite it being tougher then with mostly crappy teams.
What I remember most about the old Yankee Stadium was the sound made when Mantle hit a long ball. Unlike any other from other players hitting a HR. Best way to describe it is, sounded like the crack a large tree makes when being cut down.

Reaction Score
Oddly the only Yankee batting stance I remember from the 60s is Fred Talbot's. Elbows straight out, 90 degrees from the letters and hands 90 degrees from the letters, more than a foot out from his chest. Never saw another stance remotely like that. Granted he was a pitcher, and I don't understand how he could even manage his .143 with that stance, but it was as memorable as Dick McAuliffe completely facing the pitcher with the most open stance ever.
Didn’t McAuliffe have a fist fight with Tommy John. I recall it made national headlines. McAuliffe was a Connecticut native, grew up in Farmington.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Anyone else see that stat last night during the game that the league average for outs made running the bases is 15. The Yankees have made 27 outs on the bases...including yet another grounder to SS in front of Sanchez (who had just ripped a double) who took off for 3rd and was tagged out by about 10 feet. That's not "aggressive baserunning" as Mr. Boone tried to explain away the stat, that's bad base running.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Anyone else see that stat last night during the game that the league average for outs made running the bases is 15. The Yankees have made 27 outs on the bases...including yet another grounder to SS in front of Sanchez (who had just ripped a double) who took off for 3rd and was tagged out by about 10 feet. That's not "aggressive baserunning" as Mr. Boone tried to explain away the stat, that's bad base running.
Sanchez made up for that later by striking out with the bases loaded.

But...maybe Frazier gave them a spark last night. It was great to see the team so excited.

Reaction Score
Sanchez made up for that later by striking out with the bases loaded.

But...maybe Frazier gave them a spark last night. It was great to see the team so excited.

Thank God again for the pitching. Multiple chances with RISP and only way to score in a BB and wild pitch lol, they're dreadful. How many innings only 6 hits again? Of course they were excited, someone they played finally hit as bad or worst than them in a game, a rarity in itself.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm going to interrupt all this Yankee moaning to ask you baseball fans, how in hell is this batter interference? Tell me who Perez had a play on and whether he even attempted to make a play on the runner scoring?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Another run today on 5 hits. Let’s keep trotting these guys out there lol. Cliffy please help me with your positive thoughts about this team, you’re tough to find when they’re not winning.
thus far, for overall pitching of starters and bullpens, the yanks and padres are way out in front of everrone, so im thinkin' yanks and padres in the world series. dodger arms darn good, too.
the bullpen is the best in baseball.
u sound lonely, mebbe u should get a dog?
defense wins championships.

and, oh, have sum:
'mr andujar is regaining his confidence as he better understands what it takes to truly be 'a professional.' hmmm, where did you read that?

30 wins, and counting....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
thus far, for overall pitching of starters and bullpens, the yanks and padres are way out in front of everrone, so im thinkin' yanks and padres in the world series. dodger arms darn good, too.
the bullpen is the best in baseball.
u sound lonely, mebbe u should get a dog?
defense wins championships.

and, oh, have sum:
'mr andujar is regaining his confidence as he better understands what it takes to truly be 'a professional.' hmmm, where did you read that?

30 wins, and counting....

I sound lonely? Far from it. Actually walk my dog at least twice a day and have a wonderful family and friends. You sound like a fan who doesn't get it but I will let you bask in your own glory and optimism. It is obvious you showed up after a win and didn't type a word during their losing streak but hey that's ok. Defense wins championships LOL. Well let's see they have one good OFer in Judge the rest are so so at best. Their SS is the worst in baseball defensively and for now can't hit. But yeah that should do it. World Series wow you ever play the game? I mean they haven't been to one in ages as it is now their fielding their worst team in 20 years yet somehow you see them playing the Padres in October? I have to give it to you, I used to think Horace Clark, Ron Woods, Steve Whitaker and Jake Gibbs were going to get me to the WS when I was 10 years old too, I get it! :eek: :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm going to interrupt all this Yankee moaning to ask you baseball fans, how in hell is this batter interference? Tell me who Perez had a play on and whether he even attempted to make a play on the runner scoring?

Wow I'm pretty sure you need to have the ball in your throwing hand to even attempt to toss it to the pitcher for the tag. He had the ball in his glove wtf is the ump even thinking. What an awful call they had no chance to make that play.

Reaction Score

The rule is that on a play at the plate that the batter must make an effort to get out of the way. The fact that the batter initially walked backwards into the Catcher's path, even if it was inadvertent because he wasn't looking where is was going, likely resulted in what the call from the Umpire.

Then again, what do I know. In back-to-back travel games, I saw following:
  • The batter swings, misses, and releases the bat hitting the Catcher across the arm, shoulder and head as he jumping up to make a throw to2nd on a steal attempt in a 14U game. Naturally, the ball goes halfway down the 1st baseline and the runner eventually scores because the catcher is down on the ground in pain (fornuantely, he only had a couple of bruises, nothing broken). Umpire rules it's all good because a thrown bat hitting a fielder was not discussed as part of the 'field rules' and therefore not a problem. In the MLB and Ripkin rules, the batter is automatically out and the ball is dead (runner returns to 1st) and the only Umpire discrempeny is if the batter is ejected from the game.
  • On a home steal attempt (why the opposing coach was ordering runner to steal home when his team is up 12-0 after 3 in a 11U game is another matter), the right-handed Batter stays in the box and the Pitcher, who was between the mound and 3rd base) tries to throw over the batter's head to the Catcher and misses. Run scores. Umpire rules no interference becasue the throw to Home was too high.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
15 strikeouts tonight. Why is Odor still on this team? What isn't Tyler wade playing?

Cashman needs to do something...and by something I don't mean adding another poor fielding high strikeout hitter.

Reaction Score
15 strikeouts tonight. Why is Odor still on this team? What isn't Tyler wade playing?

Cashman needs to do something...and by something I don't mean adding another poor fielding high strikeout hitter.

I’ll tell ya what Cashman can do first sign a letter of resignation. We run our team like our country is ran right now.

Reaction Score
Cliffy find me a positive now please? First before the Red Sox embarrassment Cole looked uncomfortable pitching hope it’s not more than one game, when he got ripped up. Now not only can they not hit in the clutch at all but the bullpen looks shaky against the team we owned last year.

As stated above at least Cash should be gone and today would be the way to do it make a statement while playing your arch rivals. Nice trade for Odor. Who else is out there batting .186 we can grab but used to be a good player?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom