The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
After signing Cory Kluber the Yankees have now acquired Jameson Taillon from the Buccos. He missed all of 2020 while rehabbing from TJ surgery. He is best friends with Gerrit Cole, who says:

"If you are going to bet on somebody, if you are going to go to battle with someone, that Jameson is the guy you want next to you. He is not fazed. He always makes people around him better. He is one of the most resilient people I have ever known.”

His surgery was in May, 2019 so I assume he is going to be ready in ST next month.

Cole
Taillon
Kluber
Montgomery
D Garcia

Domingo German and Luis Severino later on.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think the Bucs got a better return for Taillon than for Musgrove. I'm kinda excited for a couple of the guys we got, especially Escotto. Yojure isn't better than a backend rotation guy, but we've had some pretty horrible backend rotation guys lately.

After doing squat last year, Cherington appears to be doing a decent job identifying high ceiling guys this offseason. They may bust, but it's better than Huntington going for high floor guys who would never become difference makers.

Not sure how well Taillon will do coming off TJ2, but he will up the Yankees coffee game. Hope he does well, he's a nice guy, hard worker, and boring as hell, lol.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the end of Tanaka Time in the Bronx. Speculation is that Tanaka will now re-sign in Japan instead of with the Yankees. When he first came to MLB I couldn't believe how much he lived up to the hype. But that elbow injury forced him to rely on his off-speed pitches more. While he was effective, he lost that ability to really dominate. Farewell Masahiro.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the end of Tanaka Time in the Bronx. Speculation is that Tanaka will now re-sign in Japan instead of with the Yankees. When he first came to MLB I couldn't believe how much he lived up to the hype. But that elbow injury forced him to rely on his off-speed pitches more. While he was effective, he lost that ability to really dominate. Farewell Masahiro.

Just a tough guy. I do believe if they asked or forced him to have the surgery immediately and lost a year he could have been a great pitcher but who knows right. He was solid so often anyway despite losing some zip, regained some when needed in certain starts and most of all, a good post season guy. Will miss him he was a very good Yankee!!

Reaction Score
Just a tough guy. I do believe if they asked or forced him to have the surgery immediately and lost a year he could have been a great pitcher but who knows right. He was solid so often anyway despite losing some zip, regained some when needed in certain starts and most of all, a good post season guy. Will miss him he was a very good Yankee!!
I agree. There is definitely some, "what might have been" associated with Tanaka, but he was a good Yankee. No doubt he will be welcomed back to Yankee Stadium with a rousing applause if/when he ever returns.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
After signing Cory Kluber the Yankees have now acquired Jameson Taillon from the Buccos. He missed all of 2020 while rehabbing from TJ surgery. He is best friends with Gerrit Cole, who says:

"If you are going to bet on somebody, if you are going to go to battle with someone, that Jameson is the guy you want next to you. He is not fazed. He always makes people around him better. He is one of the most resilient people I have ever known.”

His surgery was in May, 2019 so I assume he is going to be ready in ST next month.

Cole
Taillon
Kluber
Montgomery
D Garcia

Domingo German and Luis Severino later on.
An amazing amazing amount of question marks on that staff. And I still worry about their feast or famine hitting. Thank God for DJ.

Reaction Score
An amazing amazing amount of question marks on that staff. And I still worry about their feast or famine hitting. Thank God for DJ.

Agree so much. The way Cashman went about the market and his roster seems to me once again this team is destined to win 90 games and falter in the post season. Terrible overall hitting team, a shortstop who on defense is less than average and an bunch of guys/starters who are lucky to play 100 games a year. Pitching staff, guys who are coin flips and hope to pitch half the season?

He needs to go!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
They are hoping to have Cole, Taillon and Kluber healthy for October.

Reaction Score
So much of the Yankees success or not success will depend on their ability to keep their players on the field. These past couple of seasons have been brutal from a games lost to injury perspective. It would be nice to see Judge, Stanton & Hicks each play 145-150 games this season.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pitchers and catchers, pitchers and catchers, .... spring is coming!
just change the names referred to in this ditty.

Reaction Score
Very excited to see Spring Training open this week. Can't wait for baseball to begin. In my mind, this is the season where everything clicks for the Yankees. Gerrit Cole pitches like the ace he is. Kluber, Severino and Taillon show that they're fully recovered and will push Cole for Cy Young accolades. Jordan Montgomery makes the leap to become more than a fifth starter. Judge and Stanton each play 150 games and Clint Frazier shows what all the fuss has been about. Gleyber Torres comes to camp in great shape and remembers why he was a two-time All Star. Gary Sanchez rediscovers the Kracken and not the crack-head. Needless to say, not all of these things will come true, but the beautiful part of Spring Training is that we can still hope.

Reaction Score
Very excited to see Spring Training open this week. Can't wait for baseball to begin. In my mind, this is the season where everything clicks for the Yankees. Gerrit Cole pitches like the ace he is. Kluber, Severino and Taillon show that they're fully recovered and will push Cole for Cy Young accolades. Jordan Montgomery makes the leap to become more than a fifth starter. Judge and Stanton each play 150 games and Clint Frazier shows what all the fuss has been about. Gleyber Torres comes to camp in great shape and remembers why he was a two-time All Star. Gary Sanchez rediscovers the Kracken and not the crack-head. Needless to say, not all of these things will come true, but the beautiful part of Spring Training is that we can still hope.
LOL I'm not that excited about this team. Not enough good hitters, pitching won't be all that good until May June if even then. Bullpen has gone down hill the last 2 years when we're depending on Jordan Montgomery and Gary Sanches, as well as a below average SS in Torres how can you expect to win 90?

Scared of having a tough year. But will watch to see what happens. Have a feeling Cashman will be lucky to keep his job after the 21 season.

Reaction Score
An overly optimistic Yankee and and overly pessimistic fan. I guess I’m somewhere in the middle. I’m just excited there will be a full 162 game season with fans in the stands (hopefully) I’ll take a wait and see approach should be a fun season. The Jason Dominguez watch is on this year after the minors were cancelled last year. He most likely will be with the Yankees by 2023 maybe a September call up next year.

Reaction Score
An overly optimistic Yankee and and overly pessimistic fan. I guess I’m somewhere in the middle. I’m just excited there will be a full 162 game season with fans in the stands (hopefully) I’ll take a wait and see approach should be a fun season. The Jason Dominguez watch is on this year after the minors were cancelled last year. He most likely will be with the Yankees by 2023 maybe a September call up next year.
The Jasson Dominguez hype is so off the charts, even by New York standards. Can't wait to see him in pinstripes, but comparisons to Mike Trout feel like a bit of a stretch. But how can you not root for someone named after The Giambino?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So what do we think about today?

Pitching was decent....hitting wasn't good. Hard to get mad at Matthieu grounding into that force out at home....but damn. He is usually clutch.

I know it's just one game...but the lack of clutch hitting looks familiar.

Reaction Score
So what do we think about today?

Pitching was decent....hitting wasn't good. Hard to get mad at Matthieu grounding into that force out at home....but damn. He is usually clutch.

I know it's just one game...but the lack of clutch hitting looks familiar.

It’s only one game but let’s be honest its amazing Cashman has a job still. I mean the fact you see this same ol crap offense walking out to the plate again is a joke.

The 1-6 hitters were 2 for 26 with 12Ks and if you’re not used to that then you’re not a Yankee fan. Same ol HR or nothing lineup without any real good hitters minus DJ. To think you can continuously go into a season with Aaron Hicks near the top of lineup, never mind batting 3rd is just pitiful. Can’t hit with RISP yet again and let’s not pretend that will improve with the same lineup. Please bring in a GM who will make some positive changes sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s only one game but let’s be honest its amazing Cashman has a job still. I mean the fact you see this same ol crap offense walking out to the plate again is a joke.

The 1-6 hitters were 2 for 26 with 12Ks and if you’re not used to that then you’re not a Yankee fan. Same ol HR or nothing lineup without any real good hitters minus DJ. To think you can continuously go into a season with Aaron Hicks near the top of lineup, never mind batting 3rd is just pitiful. Can’t hit with RISP yet again and let’s not pretend that will improve with the same lineup. Please bring in a GM who will make some positive changes sooner rather than later.

I agree that the team that Cashman & Co. has built is too reliant on the long ball. Just go back to when they got Stanton after Judge and Sanchez (at the time) had already landed.

Any chance that the experiment in the minors to eliminate the crazy defensive shifts will make it to the Show? I think that would reduce the HR or nothing mentaliity that has spread beyond just the Yanks.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

I share your frustration. Judge and Stanton are supposed to be two of the most feared hitters in the game, but good pitching gets them out easily. And guess what you see in the post season? Good pitching! You don't face Baltimore's fifth starter.

They really need Torres and Frazier to develop as hitters...because the feast or famine of Judge, Stanton and Sanchez is frustrating to watch.

Reaction Score
I share your frustration. Judge and Stanton are supposed to be two of the most feared hitters in the game, but good pitching gets them out easily. And guess what you see in the post season? Good pitching! You don't face Baltimore's fifth starter.

They really need Torres and Frazier to develop as hitters...because the feast or famine of Judge, Stanton and Sanchez is frustrating to watch.

Agree on Torres and Frazier. They both are solid hitters but are learning and grouped in with guys who worry more about their power numbers than batting .280-.300. They should've laid out money for a Brantley or alike so we can see some hitters like DJ. And you're so spot on, these guys pad their stats agains the bottom of the other teams pitching corps not their best. Easy outs for the most part and hence why they never see the World Series.

And the fact with some really decent SS's available he allowed Torres, who is average at absolute best defensively at SS, to be his everyday SS heading into this year is also a major joke. Cashman had his day, thank you Brian now please bring in someone to make the Yankees great again. Not impressed with 90 wins but never a good enough staff and not a good enough lineup to get us to the promised land.

Reaction Score
And the fact with some really decent SS's available he allowed Torres, who is average at absolute best defensively at SS, to be his everyday SS heading into this year is also a major joke. Cashman had his day, thank you Brian now please bring in someone to make the Yankees great again. Not impressed with 90 wins but never a good enough staff and not a good enough lineup to get us to the promised land.
Where would you have put Torres, if not at SS? I agree that he's better suited to 2B, but then where to you put DJ? He can move to 3B or 1B, but then what do you do with Gio & Voit? I supposed you could DH Voit and slide DJ to 1B, but then what do you do with Stanton? He's too brittle to be an everyday outfielder and there's no real trade value. You can hold the Stanton signing against Cash as it seemed a knee-jerk reaction to missing out on Ohtani, but there weren't too many fans up in arms at the time of the signing. Hard to say with back-to-back 100-win seasons that Cash is the problem.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Where would you have put Torres, if not at SS? I agree that he's better suited to 2B, but then where to you put DJ? He can move to 3B or 1B, but then what do you do with Gio & Voit? I supposed you could DH Voit and slide DJ to 1B, but then what do you do with Stanton? He's too brittle to be an everyday outfielder and there's no real trade value. You can hold the Stanton signing against Cash as it seemed a knee-jerk reaction to missing out on Ohtani, but there weren't too many fans up in arms at the time of the signing. Hard to say with back-to-back 100-win seasons that Cash is the problem.
I would play Torres at second and DJ at third. Gio can sub. Also...yes you can blame him for the Stanton trade....he is a professional...not getting ohtani wasn't a reason to add Stanton. I like Stanton...but with cashman staying under the cap, Stanton is blocking other options.

Unless Torres and Frazier develop....and Hicks stays healthy and hits at least .270, it feels like another 95 win season and early exit in playoffs. I know it's early to say that...but I just don't see what's different about this team to think it will take the next step.

Reaction Score
I would play Torres at second and DJ at third. Gio can sub. Also...yes you can blame him for the Stanton trade....he is a professional...not getting ohtani wasn't a reason to add Stanton. I like Stanton...but with cashman staying under the cap, Stanton is blocking other options.

Unless Torres and Frazier develop....and Hicks stays healthy and hits at least .270, it feels like another 95 win season and early exit in playoffs. I know it's early to say that...but I just don't see what's different about this team to think it will take the next step.

Stanton was appealing at the time, then you saw the length of the contract. Im actually pretty confident in the pitching the lineup not so much the lineup is fake. Not capable of winning 2-1 type of games which you need to do in the playoffs. DJ can't bat .350 every season.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Stanton was appealing at the time, then you saw the length of the contract. Im actually pretty confident in the pitching the lineup not so much the lineup is fake. Not capable of winning 2-1 type of games which you need to do in the playoffs. DJ can't bat .350 every season.
Yeah I wish we'd embrace small ball more in certain situations rather than relying on the big fly. DJ puts on a hitting clinic when guys are on base. Judge, Stanton and El Gary need to stop trying to hit 600ft home runs with every swing.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
What is up with the Odor trade? They didn't give up much, but they aren't getting much.

Low average, strikes out a lot but has power. Sound familiar? Other than being left handed...hard to see how he helps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom