The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
3rd highest payroll, methinks. why can't they afford a serving of this?
Instant-Pot-Skyline-Chili-1.jpg

just another arrogant and tonedeaf day in queens. #notsurprized.
with 2, you get eggroll. start with telling that clown to tuck his shirt in.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think as soon as he starts hitting and the Mets are winning next year everyone forgets about this and moves on. People killed Beltran his first year here and the majority loved him by the end because of how great he was. I see a lot of similarities between them, from the frustrating bunts all the way down to not being able to handle the boos

The more I think about this situation, I'm not really upset at Lindor. This seemed like something that most of the players were using as a fun little team-building exercise, and never meant it as an insult to the fans. If this was kept in the clubhouse, then nobody ever knows, and frankly, I wouldn't care if the players used this as a way to deal with booing fans. Once Baez leaked this, then it kind of threw these other guys under the bus. Trevor May engaged with a bunch of fans yesterday on twitter and basically said that it was never meant as disrespectful towards the fans, just a fun little hand signal like the churve earlier in the year.

I agree that Lindor will be fine with a fresh start next year. Hopefully he has as good a bounce-back year as Beltran had in 2006.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The more I think about this situation, I'm not really upset at Lindor. This seemed like something that most of the players were using as a fun little team-building exercise, and never meant it as an insult to the fans. If this was kept in the clubhouse, then nobody ever knows, and frankly, I wouldn't care if the players used this as a way to deal with booing fans. Once Baez leaked this, then it kind of threw these other guys under the bus. Trevor May engaged with a bunch of fans yesterday on twitter and basically said that it was never meant as disrespectful towards the fans, just a fun little hand signal like the churve earlier in the year.
I disagree that it was innocent or misunderstood; it was meant to be a middle finger to the fans. I'd like to know who came up with the idea.

I think this is a good take on the whole mess that is the 2021 Mets; I don't agree with all of it, but I agree with most:

Reaction Score
I disagree that it was innocent or misunderstood; it was meant to be a middle finger to the fans. I'd like to know who came up with the idea.

I think this is a good take on the whole mess that is the 2021 Mets; I don't agree with all of it, but I agree with most:

I think it was 100% misunderstood and was just supposed to be an internal thing to get them fired up. If you listened to any of the players talk over the last 3 days (both involved and uninvolved) I think you'd agree. From what I've seen this was a Lindor and Baez idea

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think it was 100% misunderstood and was just supposed to be an internal thing to get them fired up. If you listened to any of the players talk over the last 3 days (both involved and uninvolved) I think you'd agree. From what I've seen this was a Lindor and Baez idea
I agree it was intended to be internal and Baez blew that, but the meaning of it was to be giving the finger to the fans behind their backs. I mean Baez couldn't have been clearer about that, which is exactly what the Ringer article notes.

That's what I mean by not innocent and not misunderstood. How it is being perceived is exactly how it was intended. The fact that it was supposed to be mocking fans behind their backs makes it worse, not better imo.

I think it was a totally douchey thing to conceive, especially when one of the guys wasn't even playing and the other one hadn't even been here a New York minute.

Oh well, Baez is toast here. Lindor will either move past it or he won't. But if he never wins the hearts of the Mets fanbase he won't have anywhere else to look but in the mirror.

I can't believe I am finding myself regretting that A-Rod did not win his bid to buy the team. I would love to blow the whole thing up and start all over again from scratch.

At least I won't be wasting any more time or money on them this season.

Reaction Score
I agree it was intended to be internal and Baez blew that, but the meaning of it was to be giving the finger to the fans behind their backs. I mean Baez couldn't have been clearer about that, which is exactly what the Ringer article notes.

That's what I mean by not innocent and not misunderstood. How it is being perceived is exactly how it was intended. The fact that it was supposed to be mocking fans behind their backs makes it worse, not better imo.

I think it was a totally douchey thing to conceive, especially when one of the guys wasn't even playing and the other one hadn't even been here a New York minute.

Oh well, Baez is toast here. Lindor will either move past it or he won't. But if he never wins the hearts of the Mets fanbase he won't have anywhere else to look but in the mirror.

I can't believe I am finding myself regretting that A-Rod did not win his bid to buy the team. I would love to blow the whole thing up and start all over again from scratch.

Gotta be honest, I think you're taking this WAY too seriously, it's not a big deal and will be forgotten about by next week. The fans will love Lindor as the leader of this team for the next decade and the fans will love Baez when he signs an extension this offseason.

Lindor and Baez have both publicly apologized and explained what happened and why they did it. The fact you choose to believe your own narrative and not move on is on you

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I can tell you've never worked retail lol. I have my whole life, and sometimes we blow off steam about a crappy customer when there aren't any customers around. I don't consider this any different than that for most of the team.

Lindor apologized, and as far as I'm concerned I have no issue with him or anyone else on the team that was doing the thumbs down. Baez still rubs me the wrong way a little bit, but either way he's most likely gone after this season anyway.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gotta be honest, I think you're taking this WAY too seriously, it's not a big deal and will be forgotten about by next week. The fans will love Lindor as the leader of this team for the next decade and the fans will love Baez when he signs an extension this offseason.

Lindor and Baez have both publicly apologized and explained what happened and why they did it. The fact you choose to believe your own narrative and not move on is on you
Yeah, I'm not surprised we see this 180 degrees differently, given our history of different perspectives as fans. I think a lot of it has to do with the difference in our ages.

By my observation, you tend to be 100% in support of the players all the time, and against the owners, managers and any fans who take issue with any player, no matter what.

I get it. I don't see it that way, but I get it.

I grew up with it being--or at least appearing to be--much more of a team sport than it is now. You grew up in an era that idolized the individual and elevated him above the team, to the point where the team--and by extension its fans--really doesn't mean much anymore to the players, except as a means to pay their increasing salaries.

It's a purely transactional relationship now, and I guess no wonder that MLB continues to hemorrhage more and more fan support every year. And the reason I enjoy it less and less.

By the way, are you still cocksure that we are going to win the division this season?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not surprised we see this 180 degrees differently, given our history of different perspectives as fans. I think a lot of it has to do with the difference in our ages.

By my observation, you tend to be 100% in support of the players all the time, and against the owners, managers and any fans who take issue with any player, no matter what.

I get it. I don't see it that way, but I get it.

I grew up with it being--or at least appearing to be--much more of a team sport than it is now. You grew up in an era that idolized the individual and elevated him above the team, to the point where the team--and by extension its fans--really doesn't mean much anymore to the players, except as a means to pay their increasing salaries.

It's a purely transactional relationship now, and I guess no wonder that MLB continues to hemorrhage more and more fan support every year. And the reason I enjoy it less and less.

By the way, are you still cocksure that we are going to win the division this season?
Yeah I think you pretty much nailed it with our different perspectives. Never replied to storrsroars yesterday about it but thought it was funny that he was talking about those 2006-2008 Mets as the ones who drove him away to beimg a Pirates fan and those are the teams that made me fall in love with the Mets.

I'm almost ready to give up but I still think they can win the division with this easy stretch coming up. End next weekend 4 games back and I think they can do it. But I also know that's not very realistic

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Think this pretty much sums up my feelings

I agree with most of it, especially in terms of defining the reason for the breakdown.

Whether or not the "everyone gets a trophy" generation ends up for the better "in almost every fashion" at the end of the day remains to be seen. One notable loss is grit, which has been talked about a lot on the educational front, and to which that piece alludes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well that's how you win back the fans
I would have bet anything that they were going to choke the comeback attempt. Good on them.

Marlins are atrocious.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’ll give Baez this: I love the way he runs the base paths.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok, I said I wouldn’t watch, but here I am. Hysterical seeing McNeil smack that double and then seem to worry about what kind of hand gesture he should make while celebrating.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree with most of it, especially in terms of defining the reason for the breakdown.

Whether or not the "everyone gets a trophy" generation ends up for the better "in almost every fashion" at the end of the day remains to be seen. One notable loss is grit, which has been talked about a lot on the educational front, and to which that piece alludes.
I’ll give Baez this: I love the way he runs the base paths.
Another thing I will say for Baez is that he is not lacking in grit. He plays hard and I love that he is always looking for a competitive edge. I'm still warming to Lindor and fear that he may be a bit soft, but perhaps keeping Baez around would help in the grit department. Yesterday morning I didn't think it was possible, but that's what I get for getting ahead of myself.

@navery12 , I think you were more right than I was.

I still don't agree with the thumbs down thing, but Gary Cohen's read on it has helped me understand it better. I'm glad that they apologized for it.

Always. It would be too easy if they just let us off the hook now; they are going to rip out our hearts and stomp on them at least a few more times until we're done with them for the season.

Reaction Score
Another thing I will say for Baez is that he is not lacking in grit. He plays hard and I love that he is always looking for a competitive edge. I'm still warming to Lindor and fear that he may be a bit soft, but perhaps keeping Baez around would help in the grit department. Yesterday morning I didn't think it was possible, but that's what I get for getting ahead of myself.

@navery12 , I think you were more right than I was.

I still don't agree with the thumbs down thing, but Gary Cohen's read on it has helped me understand it better. I'm glad that they apologized for it.

Always. It would be too easy if they just let us off the hook now; they are going to rip out our hearts and stomp on them at least a few more times until we're done with them for the season.
Agreed, glad they apologized yesterday and tried to make it right. Agree on Baez too, does so many of the little things that are tough to capture. Have a friend who works for one of the companies who works on a lot of the advanced stats and has said they haven't been able to capture and quantify some of the things Baez does on defense and on the bases. He's a lot of fun to watch with his energy

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Agreed, glad they apologized yesterday and tried to make it right. Agree on Baez too, does so many of the little things that are tough to capture. Have a friend who works for one of the companies who works on a lot of the advanced stats and has said they haven't been able to capture and quantify some of the things Baez does on defense and on the bases. He's a lot of fun to watch with his energy

I will say, I've never seen a player get Gary worked up as much as Baez did when he scored that winning run yesterday. I thought Gary was going to pass out lol

Reaction Score
Gary is the best, these videos of him during big plays are almost as good as the plays themselves

LOL Keith sitting there like the whole time like nothing at all is happening. Such a great booth

Reaction Score
Well they are giving me some hope. I went to the game on Saturday with my family and we were joking after the win that it was going to be the start of a hot streak.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom