The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

Reaction Score
4 hits, 1 walk, 1 run vs. a bunch of ragtag nobodies.

on the bright side, I think I can stop watching games and do something more productive with approximately 100 hours of my time the next month or so.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
4 hits, 1 walk, 1 run vs. a bunch of ragtag nobodies.

on the bright side, I think I can stop watching games and do something more productive with approximately 100 hours of my time the next month or so.
“We got this”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Look at the bright side... the Cubs have played worse in August (5-18),

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Look at the bright side... the Cubs have played worse in August (5-18),
But they were sellers and planned on tanking. The Mets were buyers intending to win the division. I thought it was foolish then with Jake’s status so uncertain and their failure to get another top starter. I didn’t think we would be this bad though.

Reaction Score
But they were sellers and planned on tanking. The Mets were buyers intending to win the division. I thought it was foolish then with Jake’s status so uncertain and their failure to get another top starter. I didn’t think we would be this bad though.
I'm not even sure I can call what they did at the deadline as buying. Another year of my least favorite move where they just sit somewhere in the middle of buying and selling

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Fair point, although the Cubs were arguably a WC team based on preseason predictions.

Still, you're better off than a Twins fan. PECOTA had them winning ALC at 91-71 (.561) and instead they're in last place in the division with a .438 winning pct.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Fair point, although the Cubs were arguably a WC team based on preseason predictions.

Still, you're better off than a Twins fan. PECOTA had them winning ALC at 91-71 (.561) and instead they're in last place in the division with a .438 winning pct.
I don’t know where the analytics would place us as against expectations, but at this point in the season I would think no one has done less with more than we have, especially when you consider our payroll.

Reaction Score

Baez might be my new favorite player after these comments. I love it

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Baez might be my new favorite player after these comments. I love it

Screw him and any of them that do that. Not a fan.

Should be a great ten years with Lindor savoring a toxic relationship with the fans.

New York is not the place for these guys.

Reaction Score
Screw him and any of them that do that. Not a fan.

Should be a great ten years with Lindor savoring a toxic relationship with the fans.

New York is not the place for these guys.
Yeah I'm on the other end, I'm embarrassed to be a Mets fan after seeing the response to this. I hope they hand Baez a $200M extension tonight and saw screw you to every fan who's booing him and Lindor

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm on the other end, I'm embarrassed to be a Mets fan after seeing the response to this. I hope they hand Baez a $200M extension tonight and saw screw you to every fan who's booing him and Lindor
Brilliant.

I’m also embarrassed to be a Mets fan. Our team is joke.

Lolz at these clowns for beating their chests about beating the Little Sisters of the Poor after getting curb stomped by the teams with quality players.

I’m embarrassed for everyone involved but most of all the players. This stink is going to be on the team for a long time.

A bunch of Jamie Tartts playing for individual stats.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I can't believe how mentally weak this team is. They should be angry about playing garbage baseball for the last month, but they direct their anger at the fans? Really?

I hate booing the players for playing badly, and have never done it. I remember once at a game a player hit a popup and didn't run, and then the ball dropped in and they were thrown out. That's the only time I've ever booed, because booing performance is dumb. Do you really think these players don't want to succeed? That being said, this team had won 6 games in August coming into this weekend. If you're angrier about fans booing then your poor performance tanking the season, then you're not the kind of player I want on my team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can't believe how mentally weak this team is. They should be angry about playing garbage baseball for the last month, but they direct their anger at the fans? Really?

I hate booing the players for playing badly, and have never done it. I remember once at a game a player hit a popup and didn't run, and then the ball dropped in and they were thrown out. That's the only time I've ever booed, because booing performance is dumb. Do you really think these players don't want to succeed? That being said, this team had won 6 games in August coming into this weekend. If you're angrier about fans booing then your poor performance tanking the season, then you're not the kind of player I want on my team.
Even though I'd already been living in Pgh for five years by 2007, it was the prima donna attitudes of the '06-'07 Mets, and their September collapses that finally turned me away from the Mets and into a Pirates fan. If you're gonna lose, lose with young guys on pre-arb salaries and get a better draft position. No place worse in MLB than in the middle.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Exactly.

I have never booed players on my own team and I'm not a fan of it, but if you play in New York you have to able to handle that without stooping lower.

You are getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars to play a game. The reason you get paid is because of the fans. Giving them the finger, which is exactly what this is, is not going to end well.

I would sit Baez's ass on the bench for a bit and not give one second of consideration to re-signing him in the off-season. Pillar seems to have intended something a little different and I would want to hear more from him before judging further. Unfortunately we are stuck with Lindor; but if money is truly no issue for Cohen I wouldn't be averse to shipping him elsewhere for a discount just to get his stink off the team.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

I have never booed players on my own team and I'm not a fan of it, but if you play in New York you have to able to handle that without stooping lower.

You are getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars to play a game. The reason you get paid is because of the fans. Giving them the finger, which is exactly what this is, is not going to end well.

I would sit Baez's ass on the bench for a bit and not give one second of consideration to re-signing him in the off-season. Pillar seems to have intended something a little different and I would want to hear more from him before judging further. Unfortunately we are stuck with Lindor; but if money is truly no issue for Cohen I wouldn't be averse to shipping him elsewhere for a discount just to get his stink off the team.
Yeah unfortunately Baez is gone after this, which really sucks. He was the perfect player for this team, but no chance he's coming back after Sandy's comments yesterday even once Sandy is gone. They've really butchered this whole situation

I don't really understand your hate for Lindor though, I'm sure you'll come around on him when he has a full good season next year. I think the first 2 months have blinded you to the really good last 2 months he's had

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't really understand your hate for Lindor though, I'm sure you'll come around on him when he has a full good season next year. I think the first 2 months have blinded you to the really good last 2 months he's had
I guess this pic says it better than anything I can write:

merlin_193875090_7366745d-8470-420c-b3f2-c71ba807d514-articleLarge.jpg

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's cut out to play in New York. I said before the season, after I read about his reaction to the big contract, that I was concerned that his mindset seemed to be that had already made it and really had nothing else to work for. He seemed to have a positive attitude at least and I like his defense, but he's obviously used to being coddled and his decision to join his buddy Baez in flipping off the fans confirmed my fears about him.

He might want to see how a class act handled it:

Reaction Score
I guess this pic says it better than anything I can write:

merlin_193875090_7366745d-8470-420c-b3f2-c71ba807d514-articleLarge.jpg

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's cut out to play in New York. I said before the season, after I read about his reaction to the big contract, that I was concerned that his mindset seemed to be that had already made it and really had nothing else to work for. He seemed to have a positive attitude at least and I like his defense, but he's obviously used to being coddled and his decision to join his buddy Baez in flipping off the fans confirmed my fears about him.

He might want to see how a class act handled it:

Fair enough, I think you're dead wrong about him just like you are about deGrom but we'll see. His numbers since June point much more to it being an adjustment period than him not being able to handle New York. I don't see any of the concerns you talk about with him if I'm being completely honest, I think you're really reaching. But I also think this whole thumbs down thing is being completely blown out of proportion so don't expect you to agree

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Fair enough, I think you're dead wrong about him just like you are about deGrom but we'll see.
deGrom? I love him. My only concern is whether he can pitch like he was pitching and stay healthy; or if he can adjust to lower velocity again if not. I don’t think we have enough data to know that and I wouldn’t mind seeing more this season irrespective of the fact that we are all but mathematically eliminated right now.

Reaction Score
deGrom? I love him. My only concern is whether he can pitch like he was pitching and stay healthy; or if he can adjust to lower velocity again if not. I don’t think we have enough data to know that and I wouldn’t mind seeing more this season irrespective of the fact that we are all but mathematically eliminated right now.
You've seemed to suggest multiple times the Mets shouldn't sign him and should let him walk. Maybe just heat of the moment and you don't actually believe that, so if that's the case I apologize

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You've seemed to suggest multiple times the Mets shouldn't sign him and should let him walk. Maybe just heat of the moment and you don't actually believe that, so if that's the case I apologize
No, I only suggested that I would want more data on his physical status before handing him the largest pitcher contract in history.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Fair enough, I think you're dead wrong about him just like you are about deGrom but we'll see. His numbers since June point much more to it being an adjustment period than him not being able to handle New York. I don't see any of the concerns you talk about with him if I'm being completely honest, I think you're really reaching. But I also think this whole thumbs down thing is being completely blown out of proportion so don't expect you to agree

I think Lindor will be fine, but I'm really interested to see his response to this whole thing. You're never going to win going after the fans, and if he can't let something as insignificant as getting booed go, then I don't see how he's going to have success here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm glad they have the day off today. I think Cohen needs to take some ownership too; his tweet about the team's offense a few weeks ago was also totally unprofessional, and I'd bet he would start off with more credibility with the players if he apologized to them for airing that in a manner that was inappropriate. You can't reasonably demand professionalism from your players if you don't exhibit it yourself.

Reaction Score
I think Lindor will be fine, but I'm really interested to see his response to this whole thing. You're never going to win going after the fans, and if he can't let something as insignificant as getting booed go, then I don't see how he's going to have success here.
I think as soon as he starts hitting and the Mets are winning next year everyone forgets about this and moves on. People killed Beltran his first year here and the majority loved him by the end because of how great he was. I see a lot of similarities between them, from the frustrating bunts all the way down to not being able to handle the boos

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom