The Official Bracketology thread, part II (beginning Mar 7) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Official Bracketology thread, part II (beginning Mar 7)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Below is a link to Part I

Now the second season begins. We wait with eager anticipation to see what seed and region we’re assigned to. Then we look to see who is in our bracket, and the potential match ups down the road.

This past weekend was crazy with all of the upset losses by top 25 teams, some to unranked teams. When number 1 South Carolina goes down after crushing opponents all season, and their high powered offense is held to only 7 points in the 4th quarter, then we know that no team is immune. How can one think this is not going to carry over into the tournament?

It would not surprise me to see a few highly seeded teams sent home the second week of the tournament. How many 1 seeds make the final 4? It's rare when all 4 do. Remember 2016 when UConn was the only 1 seed to make it to the final weekend? I think Washington (Chantel Osahor), Oregon State and another dark horse (who I can’t think of off the top of my head) made it. Can it happen again? :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
boy I just saw Stanford's path and boy if they are not in the final something shocking happened.
They would get #2 Lsu, and #1 Louisville in the final 4.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling ESPN is doing everything they can to try and influence the committee to put and keep UConn in Greensboro with S.C.. Will they influence the committee? I don't thinks so but, you never know........
On what basis are you concluding that ESPN is “doing everything they can” to put UConn in Greensboro?

And secondly, you are wrong. There’s no way in hell that ESPN wants SC or UConn eliminated before the final 4. That would be their dream final matchup.
UConn is the biggest name by far, and SC is probably the 2nd biggest name right now.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Regardless of the location to which they send Connecticut, I hope that the NCAA does not provide facilities and amenities to the women athletes that are vastly inferior to those offered to the men. Let's hope they clean up their act.
I don't think that had ever been an issue in the past prior to last season's bubble system in San Antonio.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I don't think that had ever been an issue in the past prior to last season's bubble system in San Antonio.
I disagree. It's always been unequal, it was just that last year's problems were more magnified and publicized because the teams were so locked down and Sedona Prince was airing all of the dirty laundry on TikTok.

For a long time, the expectation was for the women to just be grateful for what they got and to keep their heads down and play, and that's just not going to cut it anymore.

Reaction Score
You can make a strong case for NC State to be the overall #2 and UConn to be overall #7 and have them be in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
On what basis are you concluding that ESPN is “doing everything they can” to put UConn in Greensboro?

And secondly, you are wrong. There’s no way in hell that ESPN wants SC or UConn eliminated before the final 4. That would be their dream final matchup.
UConn is the biggest name by far, and SC is probably the 2nd biggest name right now.
My Tongue was mostly in my cheek . Should have made that clearer.......

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Today's update - no up/down seeds, however 10 region changes, the most since 2/22 (12). And voila, UConn in Bridgeport.

1646750348603.png

CC: "We still don't know just how good UConn is, but Monday provided the best example of how different the Huskies are now that they are healthy. A month ago, Villanova beat a UConn team without Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Caroline Ducharme and Paige Bueckers by three in Hartford. That trio was on the court in Monday's Big East final, and the Huskies won by 30. That was enough to bump UConn to the No. 6 overall seed. Based on their spot on the S-curve, the Huskies would naturally be placed in Bridgeport. There's still a chance they could end up in another region, but the higher the Huskies are on the S-curve, the better the chance that Bridgeport is their landing spot. Villanova remains the first team out; the Wildcats didn't stay competitive enough Monday to get a bump into the field. At-large spots can still open up, so there's a chance Villanova could reach its first NCAA tournament since 2018."

Reaction Score
Also according to Creme this morning, UConn would have to beat SEC tourney winner Kentucky to even get out of Storrs. What a game that would be!

Reaction Score
Charlie believes in UConn s Christmas miracle to Bridgeport...maybe the committee will too..

Reaction Score
American Champ in first game would be UCF? This will be a bruising battle, hopefully nobody gets hurt

Reaction Score
If Charlie is correct, Iowa as a 3 scares me. If Katlin goes off anything can happen
My gut tells me that if that happens and Kaitlin gets 35-40 she's the only one shooting much. With our defense playing the way they have been, holding the rest of the team to 15-20 points (50-60 points total )We should still get 70+ and Advance. Obviously ALL speculation on my part......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
people better be careful underestimating Nc st. I hear a sigh of relief but let's not forget they lost 3 games all season, and one was by 6 to SC with a few injured players. They have 3 5th year srs.
I would prefer Louisville in Bridgeport as the #1 but that’s not going to happen. I prefer NC State over Stanford and So Carolina, especially since either of those would mean leaving the state.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread, but it's pertinent here, too.

---

In 2019, Louisville was the #1 seed in Bridgeport. In the same regional, UConn was #2. Mississippi State was the #1 seed in Portland, with Oregon as #2. Baylor was the #1 seed in Greensboro with NC State at #3 and SC at #4.

In 2018, Notre Dame was the #1 seed in Spokane. In the same regional, Oregon was #2.

In 2017, Note Dame was the #1 seed in Lexington, KY (their closest regional), but they let Kentucky stay home as the #4 seed.

In 2016, Notre Dame was the #1 seed in Lexington, KY (their closest regional), but they let Kentucky stay home as the #3 seed.

Then, going back to 2000 and just looking at UConn's seeding/parings...

In 2014, UConn was the #1 seed in Lincoln, NE. In the same regional, Nebraska was the #4 and Oklahoma was the #10. Same year, South Carolina was the #1 seed ON STANFORD'S HOME FLOOR with Stanford as the #2 seed.

In 2010, UConn was the #1 seed in Dayton, OH. In the same regional, Ohio State was the #2 seed.

In 2007, UConn was the #1 seed in Fresno, CA. In the same regional, Stanford was the #2 seed.

In 2003, UConn was the #1 seed in Dayton, OH. In the same regional, Purdue (~3 hours from Dayton) was the #2 seed. Same, year, LSU was the #1 seed on Stanford's home floor with Stanford as the #3 seed.

In 2000, UConn was the #1 seed in Richmond, VA. In the same regional, Duke (~2 from Richmond) was the #2 seed.

I know that the considerations that go into seeding and placement have evolved over the years, but putting a #1 seed in the backyard of a #2 (3... 4...) seed happens to more than just #1 seeds coming to the northeast. Money talks everywhere to the NCAA.
2019. Albany

Reaction Score
There is NO WAY that UConn ends up in Bridgeport. Any number one seed would be justifiably irate if it had to play in the home state of the number two seed. And the Committee will want to avoid any claim that it is favoring the team that has won 11 national championships.
There's already been posts about how this has happened numerous time before where UConn wasn't involved. Also...$$$$ I'm not professing to know what they are going to do, but I think anything is on the table.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Now the second season begins. We wait with eager anticipation to see what seed and region we’re assigned to. Then we look to see who is in our bracket, and the potential match ups down the road.

This past weekend was crazy with all of the upset losses by top 25 teams, some to unranked teams. When number 1 South Carolina goes down after crushing opponents all season, and their high powered offense is held to only 7 points in the 4th quarter, then we know that no team is immune. How can one think this is not going to carry over into the tournament?

It would not surprise me to see a few highly seeded teams sent home the second week of the tournament. How many 1 seeds make the final 4? It's rare when all 4 do. Remember 2016 when UConn was the only 1 seed to make it to the final weekend? I think Washington (Chantel Osahor), Oregon State and another dark horse (who I can’t think of off the top of my head) made it. Can it happen again? :eek:
Looking at today's bracket, there are some really good #6 and #7 seeds who will give the #3 and #2 seeds a run for their money, even if on the road. Obviously, the #5 seed is where you would expect some upsets of the #4 seeds based on how close they should be in level of play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom