The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread

Reaction Score
Just watched all the post game. The theme that came out of it was a real bond of family and love.

1) Mendoza spoke about doing this for the family that supports them all and the fans that pushed them all year, then popped the bottles.
2) Lindor said he's never said "I love you" to so many guys like he has the last couple weeks.
3) Nimmo really soaking in being a lifetime Met and enjoying the moment.
4) All the families on the field with the players, the kids everywhere, Lindor and his daughter at his presser. Mendoza made a comment that this is what it means to be a Met and part of this franchise.

I know my head is in the clouds, but I can't help but feel they're building something real special here.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just watched all the post game. The theme that came out of it was a real bond of family and love.

1) Mendoza spoke about doing this for the family that supports them all and the fans that pushed them all year, then popped the bottles.
2) Lindor said he's never said "I love you" to so many guys like he has the last couple weeks.
3) Nimmo really soaking in being a lifetime Met and enjoying the moment.
4) All the families on the field with the players, the kids everywhere, Lindor and his daughter at his presser. Mendoza made a comment that this is what it means to be a Met and part of this franchise.

I know my head is in the clouds, but I can't help but feel they're building something real special here.
Good thing Frank Cashen is dead so he can't dump Lindor in favor of Zach Neto.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We blew so many chances with runners on early in the game that I thought it was just going to be one of those nights where we can't get it done. Then for some reason, when Tyrone Taylor grounded that ball just barely foul down the 3rd base line, I got oddly confident. It just seemed like things couldn't keep going against us, that at some point the dam would burst. I was expecting an RBI single or double though, not what Lindor did. What an incredible year he's had.

Reaction Score
Lindor is quickly becoming my favorite Met of all time.

What a game! All of those blown chances early, Quintana was GREAT. Peterson has been GREAT. The pen has had it's issues but Peterson has been a machine out of there!

Hopefully Diaz will gain some confidence from getting out of that jam and finishing it off. We need him to return to form next round.

Reaction Score
Is it prisoner of the moment to think Lindor's homer against the Braves, Alonso's homer against the Brewers and then Lindor's grand slam against the Phillies are all top 10 homers in Mets history?

Reaction Score
Is it prisoner of the moment to think Lindor's homer against the Braves, Alonso's homer against the Brewers and then Lindor's grand slam against the Phillies are all top 10 homers in Mets history?
There haven't been many more post season HR's with that level of magnitude and timing.

For instance, I've always said Dykstra leading off Game 3 of the 1986 WS with a HR was a huge, huge moment for that team. They lost the first 2 in NY, went to Fenway and Dykstra set the tone in the first at bat. They won the game 7-1 and you know the rest. You could argue, that hit started the ball rolling and was key for what eventually happened. But......it's nowhere NEAR any of the 3 mentioned from this season already.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There haven't been many more post season HR's with that level of magnitude and timing.

For instance, I've always said Dykstra leading off Game 3 of the 1986 WS with a HR was a huge, huge moment for that team. They lost the first 2 in NY, went to Fenway and Dykstra set the tone in the first at bat. They won the game 7-1 and you know the rest. You could argue, that hit started the ball rolling and was key for what eventually happened. But......it's nowhere NEAR any of the 3 mentioned from this season already.
I'd agree with this. The only walk off HR I can recall in an elimination game was Pratt's. Nails bomb in game 3 in '86 was big as it changed momentum. I'd argue that Al Weis' two bombs vs Orioles in '69 belong because Al Weis home runs are demoralizing to opponents, lol.

I don't know everything that's gone on with the Mets since 2007 when I switched allegiance to the Pirates, but during the 40+ years I was a die hard Mets fan, I'm hard pressed to think of more than seven game/series changing bombs that would eliminate any of the three mentioned above from the top 10.

Reaction Score
The timing of these were all so clutch. All were close out games. The first closing out the season and punching the ticket to the playoffs in the 9th inning against the divisional rival Braves. Alonso's obviously in a do or die game in the 9th while trailing, season on the line. And while Lindor's grand slam was only in the 6th, we were losing and it proved to be the winning hit to advance.

Ventura's grand slam single against the Braves comes to mind although we lost that series. Todd Pratt's walk off to advance to the NLCS comes to mind as well. Not sure I can come up with another in my lifetime at least.

Reaction Score
I'd agree with this. The only walk off HR I can recall in an elimination game was Pratt's. Nails bomb in game 3 in '86 was big as it changed momentum. I'd argue that Al Weis' two bombs vs Orioles in '69 belong because Al Weis home runs are demoralizing to opponents, lol.

I don't know everything that's gone on with the Mets since 2007 when I switched allegiance to the Pirates, but during the 40+ years I was a die hard Mets fan, I'm hard pressed to think of more than seven game/series changing bombs that would eliminate any of the three mentioned above from the top 10.
Whoa! Why switch allegiances on us?!!?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Whoa! Why switch allegiances on us?!!?
a) I moved to Pittsburgh in 2002. I hung onto the Mets for five years after that, even going to something like 75% of the games Mets played @PNC. Hell, I was even excited when we got Lastings Milledge, telling my wife that we got a player that was going to turn things around

b) The mid-2000s Mets featured a bunch of prima donnas (not Wright). They became hard for me to root for given all the money many of those guys were getting while not putting out max effort. Meantime, we got a new GM in '07 who seemed to have a plan. Had the best ballpark in America, and these guys, while half as talented and earning way less $ were busting their butts while developing some home-grown stars . Kinda like the '67-'68 Mets.

Reaction Score
a) I moved to Pittsburgh in 2002. I hung onto the Mets for five years after that, even going to something like 75% of the games Mets played @PNC. Hell, I was even excited when we got Lastings Milledge, telling my wife that we got a player that was going to turn things around

b) The mid-2000s Mets featured a bunch of prima donnas (not Wright). They became hard for me to root for given all the money many of those guys were getting while not putting out max effort. Meantime, we got a new GM in '07 who seemed to have a plan. Had the best ballpark in America, and these guys, while half as talented and earning way less $ were busting their butts while developing some home-grown stars . Kinda like the '67-'68 Mets.
LOL. I drank the Lastings Milledge kool aid too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom