The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread

Reaction Score
I mean Pete is 29 - JD was 37 - I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. Theoretically Pete’s best years should be happening right now and over the next 3ish years.

My theory on Pete is he puts too much pressure on himself. You see it in something as light hearted as the home run derby, stands to reason in a walk year that he had that lemon booty all season knowing it was a big year for him personally and he struggled under that pressure. I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see him sign a multi year deal, feel relaxed and bounce back to 40-45 home run Pete.

Now I don’t think we need to just sign him to some 10 year deal or something insane, but I know he’s a bit bat to replace. When he is up in the post season you know he can change the game in one swing. That’s a quality few guys have

Reaction Score
Stearns just talked to the media today to wrap up the season. Big takeaways are they want Alonso back (at the right price), they'll look to add multiple starting pitchers this offseason

• Want Alonso back (at the right price)
  • Will look to add multiple SPs (TBD whether it's guys already here or external options)
  • TBD where Peterson, Megill, Butto fall in terms of SP or bullpen
  • Mauricio's rehab slower than expected
  • Heavily implies they'll be active in the FA market for Soto
  • There's mutual interest in a reunion with Sean Manaea
  • Will stay in touch with Jesse Winker about a return

Reaction Score
Alonso for me comes down to how much money Cohen wants to spend this year. If the budget is still 300M, then I don't overly care if he wants to overpay him. If the team is staying near the luxury tax and is closer to 230M then I think there are better ways to allocate the funds. I'd also let him go out and test FA and ask him to come back with his best offer. If it's 8/240, then wish him well. If it's 6/150 then sure bring him back.

I took a look at an article in the Athletic that ranks FA and gives a contract prediction. A few of them and my thoughts.

1. Soto 15/622 - Yes. HoF talents don't hit FA going into their age 26 season.
2. Burnes 7/247 - Probably yes...that feels steep but if they want an ace this seems like the way to go
3. Fried 6/174 - Depends on how his medicals check out but I don't hate this.
4. Alonso 7/204 - I don't think he's worth this and wouldn't be upset if the Mets passed.
5. Snell 3/105 - I love this type of deal. If Snell pitches a full season, he's a Cy Young threat. A bit of a gamble but only 3 years.
6. Manaea and Flaherty 3/68 - putting both here because the prediction is the same. I like both of these.

Semi-related, but I'd give the QO to Alonso, Manaea, and Severino. I don't think Severino is really worth the 21M or so but for 1 year it's fine and if he declines we get a pick back and, again, an overpay of a few million isn't going to hurt Cohen. He paid like 15M total to two catchers who aren't here anymore, not to mention Verlander and Scherzer.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't touch Burnes or Fried with a 40 foot pole at that price. I trust Stearns to spend wisely and end us up in the same spot for a lot less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom