The Official 2023 New York Jets thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 New York Jets thread

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It sounds like Rodgers to the Jets is a done deal.
Yeah....Trey Wingo of all people is reporting this. I would guess it hasn't come out yet because all details haven't been worked out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah....Trey Wingo of all people is reporting this. I would guess it hasn't come out yet because all details haven't been worked out.
Aaron reportedly wants to bring a bunch of old Packers with him. That should set alarm bells off. Jets already have better receivers than the guys he wants.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Aaron reportedly wants to bring a bunch of old Packers with him. That should set alarm bells off. Jets already have better receivers than the guys he wants.
Makes you wonder if they are sending Elijah Moore as part of the trade.

I like the idea of Lazard...he is a big dude and would be an upgrade over Davis....who will likely be released. Cobb and OBJ? Not sure about that.

I do worry a bit that the longer this drags out, the more this gets his new teammates cranky. And this doesn't exactly counter the "diva" narrative.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, Rodgers is live on Pat McAfee. Says he intends to play for the Jets and they need to work out comp with Green Bay. Congrats Jets fans, you have a crazy person at QB.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So, Rodgers is live on Pat McAfee. Says he intends to play for the Jets and they need to work out comp with Green Bay. Congrats Jets fans, you have a crazy person at QB.

It should be an interesting negotiation...Jets are desperate...and really have no plan b. And the Packers are only negotiating with one team. So who has the upper hand? I would say neither.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So what should they give up in a trade? I mentioned that I read at one point they should give up two ones and Moore. Recently Rich Cimini said it might be something like a two this year and a three next year. Stephen A said they should be ok with giving up two ones.

I think the one this year is too valuable. Maybe next year's one. I am hoping Cimini is right...a two this year and a 3 next. It will be interesting if they decide to trade Moore. Is the team down on him after his theatrics last year? Or will they hang that issue on Lefleur?

Reaction Score
So what should they give up in a trade? I mentioned that I read at one point they should give up two ones and Moore. Recently Rich Cimini said it might be something like a two this year and a three next year. Stephen A said they should be ok with giving up two ones.

I think the one this year is too valuable. Maybe next year's one. I am hoping Cimini is right...a two this year and a 3 next. It will be interesting if they decide to trade Moore. Is the team down on him after his theatrics last year? Or will they hang that issue on Lefleur?
A 2 and a 3 seems fine. I wouldn't move multiple 1sts for a guy who could decide to retire in a year, no matter what assurances he gives the Jets. At that point just go sign Lamar Jackson

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
A 2 and a 3 seems fine. I wouldn't move multiple 1sts for a guy who could decide to retire in a year, no matter what assurances he gives the Jets. At that point just go sign Lamar Jackson
I wonder if that is the hold up...Packers trying to get first round picks. Which...is crazy for a guy who may play one year.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I have decided that this delay is a good thing. While the Jets are desperate...they don't have to panic and give up the farm. I hope they can get this done without giving up a one.

sun

Reaction Score
1. The Packers will have double the cap hit for next year totaling $30 mil if they trade AR before June, but if they wait until June then the cap hit is spread over 2 years.
That could be a reason to delay the official transaction.

2. The trade could involve conditional draft picks which are dependent on AR's performance such as making the play offs, and whether he continues playing for 2 years or not. Conditional draft picks were used when the Packers traded Brett Favre to the Jets.
IMO it's basically a done deal unless AR changes his mind about collecting his huge sweetheart of a deal payday.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
1. The Packers will have double the cap hit for next year totaling $30 mil if they trade AR before June, but if they wait until June then the cap hit is spread over 2 years.
That could be a reason to delay the official transaction.

2. The trade could involve conditional draft picks which are dependent on AR's performance such as making the play offs, and whether he continues playing for 2 years or not. Conditional draft picks were used when the Packers traded Brett Favre to the Jets.
IMO it's basically a done deal unless AR changes his mind about collecting his huge sweetheart of a deal payday.
Yeah...it's pretty complicated. I have to assume there is some trust between the two that they will eventually come to an agreement...otherwise the Jets need to have a plan b for a quarterback.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

So...Moore has been traded. I had a feeling this might happen. I am not sure if he ever got back on solid footing with Saleh/Douglas after his drama last year. And probably more importantly they now have two number two picks for this year's draft.

You have to think this was done to help get the Rodgers deal done.

Reaction Score
So...Moore has been traded. I had a feeling this might happen. I am not sure if he ever got back on solid footing with Saleh/Douglas after his drama last year. And probably more importantly they now have two number two picks for this year's draft.

You have to think this was done to help get the Rodgers deal done.
I’m not worried that trading Moore will be the lynchpin that kills our chances. Hardman is more versatile and polished a receiver.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I’m not worried that trading Moore will be the lynchpin that kills our chances. Hardman is more versatile and polished a receiver.
I support the trade..... but I don't agree Hardman is the better player. He is more expensive...only one year contract...and he is coming off an injury.

But...I still think the move makes sense. It's apparent that Green Bay would rather have a draft pick than Elijah Moore...so you go get the draft pick. I am not sure if they will keep the two twos and send GB the one...or they send the one or both twos and keep the one.

Either way... this positions them better to figure out compensation for Rodgers.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So....when will the trade happen? And is it possible it won't happen?

This has to be one of the oddest trades in NFL history.

sun

Reaction Score
It's complicated but fair.
Rodgers had just signed another extension with the Packers that will keep him under control through 2026 when he'll be 43.
In essence the extension was to buy Jets draft picks in order to dump Rodgers & to give him a golden handshake.
All to switch to an unproven QB instead of an aging one that was costing them too much cap space.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I am happy they got this done. Although it's a short term solution...it's a good solution.

Let's hope he stays healthy and plays at least two seasons to make trading that 2024 conditional two worth it.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
At first glance I felt like this was too much to give up. But...if Rodgers does indeed play more than 65% they will most likely be a playoff team and have a first round pick in the 20s.

Considering they had pretty much no plan b, I guess you do what ya gotta do.

Reaction Score
At first glance I felt like this was too much to give up. But...if Rodgers does indeed play more than 65% they will most likely be a playoff team and have a first round pick in the 20s.

Considering they had pretty much no plan b, I guess you do what ya gotta do.
Exactly. If he’s healthy? We have meaningful football for the next couple years. If he gets hurt? That pick dials down to nothing.

Reaction Score
So what happens to Zach Wilson now? Do they keep him for the next 2 years and let him be the backup and understudy to Rodgers? Or do they just get rid of him for whatever they can get? I believe Rodgers is signed for the next 2 seasons.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So what happens to Zach Wilson now? Do they keep him for the next 2 years and let him be the backup and understudy to Rodgers? Or do they just get rid of him for whatever they can get? I believe Rodgers is signed for the next 2 seasons.
I think this is the best solution for Zach. He can learn from his idol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom