The Official 2019 Mets Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

The Official 2019 Mets Thread

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Other than the two WS wins, is Alonso’s homer tonight the third best moment in Mets history? 4th?

Santana’s no hitter? Piazzas post 9/11 HR?

It’s gotta be top 5, no?
I think it's outside the top 5 probably, but barely. WS wins are top 2, I'd probably put Piazza 9/11 HR, Endy's catch in 2006, Johan no hitter ahead too
No doubt a top 10. Top 6.
I don’t think it gets a top 5 but I can see it replacing Endy’s catch and moving in there.

I do hope you guys feel this way when he hits FA a year sooner.

Reaction Score
I absolutely will, I don't think I discovered this thread yet but was very publicly advocating him on the opening day roster. A 31 year old 1B isn't the type of player you have to worry about control with like you do with the Vlad/Acuna hitting FA at 26

Reaction Score

This kid is the next David Wright of the organization. Already a team leader and beloved by all his teammates. Respected in the league by his peers. Credit to BVW for bucking the book and starting him in the bigs this season.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This kid is the next David Wright of the organization. Already a team leader and beloved by all his teammates. Respected in the league by his peers. Credit to BVW for bucking the book and starting him in the bigs this season.
He's Daryl Strawberry with David Wright's personality. He more than earned the trust they placed in him.

Reaction Score
100% chance he's gone. Doesn't even seem like an option at this point

I don't know if I'd go 100%. I think the % is very high, but you saw what the team could do and the bullpen screwed up. I don't know if I can blame him or BVW that Diaz and Familia were the dumpster fires they ended up being. A new manager has a grace period and there's a chance that change could get them off to a poor April and May.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd go 100%. I think the % is very high, but you saw what the team could do and the bullpen screwed up. I don't know if I can blame him or BVW that Diaz and Familia were the dumpster fires they ended up being. A new manager has a grace period and there's a chance that change could get them off to a poor April and May.
I'd love to be wrong and I hope they keep him. Just feel like they set the stage for him being moved when they (presumably) leaked the personal catcher story. I'm all for bringing him back and signing an OF and bullpen arms

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Mickey is gone. Edwin Diaz is staying

Being he's an ex-Indian guy, wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Mickey come to Pirates as the new pitching coach, as it's all but certain Searage is gone.

Reaction Score
Being he's an ex-Indian guy, wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Mickey come to Pirates as the new pitching coach, as it's all but certain Searage is gone.
That's his best role, he was just in way over his head with in game decisions but lots of positives with the pitchers while he was there

Reaction Score
I like Giradi. Madden would be on my short list. Throughout the year I wanted Thor and Matz traded. They really have defined themselves as barely over .500 pitchers, if that.
Especially Matz under pressure.
Keep deGrom, Wheeler, and Stroman.
Get some quality for Thor. Maybe a CF and a few prospects.
Not sure what you can get for Matz.

the Q

Reaction Score
I think you guys hire the Astros bench coach.

And you are all in for 2020

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I like Giradi. Madden would be on my short list. Throughout the year I wanted Thor and Matz traded. They really have defined themselves as barely over .500 pitchers, if that.

Got any catching prospects? My Pirates aren't going anywhere, but have zero catching depth in the system. We'd have no use for Thor, but you can probably get Marte for a decent catching prospects and some other lottery pick types. Marte has two years left on a very affordable deal.

the Q

Reaction Score
Got any catching prospects? My Pirates aren't going anywhere, but have zero catching depth in the system. We'd have no use for Thor, but you can probably get Marte for a decent catching prospects and some other lottery pick types. Marte has two years left on a very affordable deal.

Marte is a corner Of at this point. He’s been really bad defensively.

the Q

Reaction Score

Mets aren’t trading any of those guys.
They’re all in for 2020.

They need to find some undervalued guys to fill a few spots.

Like Mallex smith for cf

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Marte is a corner Of at this point. He’s been really bad defensively.

That's bullbleep. One thing I really despise about advanced analytics is the flaws in how they determine defensive performance. An astute fan can look at rankings at any defensive position and find egregious errors in how players are ranked.

Marte does have two weakness: 1) going straight back to the wall, and 2) while he has an outstanding arm, he's guilty of throwing home too often and allowing other runners to advance.

However, coming in on balls and especially going side to side and covering acres of area, there are few better. I'd even rank him above Cain on those plays.

The funny thing is those of us who are regulars on Pirates online game chats almost universally agree that this year was one of his best defensive years of his career, regardless what Fangraphs said. We watch just about every game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Looks like the Phillies may try to offer Girardi before the Mets make their decision.

Reaction Score
Looks like the Phillies may try to offer Girardi before the Mets make their decision.
He's still my first choice. But a part of me will be happy if it's Beltran

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's still my first choice. But a part of me will be happy if it's Beltran
Well the Phils hired Girardi; don't know what to think about Beltran because he has no experience, which concerns me. A lot.

Reaction Score
Well the Phils hired Girardi; don't know what to think about Beltran because he has no experience, which concerns me. A lot.
For me, he's been with Astros and Yankees who are 2 of the best analytics teams out there. And there's a chapter in Astroball (the Astros version of Moneyball) that's dedicated specifically to Beltran and how the Astros sought him out because of his intangibles and how he could help them.

That matters to me a lot more than experience, this season in baseball really showed how little experience matters with a manager

Reaction Score
Guy called boomer and gio show this AM. Said his brother was a hedge fund guy and the word around the people he talks to his that A-Rod is going for his SECOND interview with the Mets.
Take it for what it's worth but there is supposed to be a secret blockbuster name out there that they've interviewed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Guy called boomer and gio show this AM. Said his brother was a hedge fund guy and the word around the people he talks to his that A-Rod is going for his SECOND interview with the Mets.
Take it for what it's worth but there is supposed to be a secret blockbuster name out there that they've interviewed.
I don’t know how I feel about this if true. I hated him as a player and he seemed like a creep as a person, but he’s been a brilliant analyst and knows the game as well as anyone I’ve ever heard.

And J Lo is hawt, so there’s that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom