The Offense was gruesome | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Offense was gruesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nolan played 23 minutes and didn't even attempt a shot. How does that happen?

Oh wait, Sam Cassell, Jr. was 3-18. I guess that's how it happens.

Nobody would pass to him even when he established excellent open position. That didn't help either. It had me, my brother-in-law, and son all screaming at the TV all afternoon.

Reaction Score
I like the way you added "showoff dunk" to your reincarnated stupidity. It really brings a whole new level of "what the hell drugs is this guy on?" to the discussion.
He would have had an easy layup instead of trying a difficult stuff. I must be stupid if I pay attention to these comments.

Reaction Score
He would have had an easy layup instead of trying a difficult stuff. I must be stupid if I pay attention to these comments.
At first, I thought this was a typo. I thought he meant, "instead of trying difficult stuff." But then I realized that buddy was actually using the word "stuff" as a synonym for "dunk" or "slam" and so on. This actually explains a lot.

Buddy - please confirm that you are older than 65.

Reaction Score
When will they realize you need to post up Phil or Facey and not Brimah? Both are way better back to the basket guys.
Do you have any examples of this? Facey has had some nice put backs and a couple nice scores around the rim but to say hes better in the post then brimah is quite a stretch. Nolan is utterly useless. Cant believe your even mentioning him on the offensive end. When was the last time you saw nolan get the ball in the post and score over his defender? His value is on the defensive end and drawing charges. I thought he had a solid game against Texas.

Reaction Score
Nobody would pass to him even when he established excellent open position. That didn't help either. It had me, my brother-in-law, and son all screaming at the TV all afternoon.
Let me set your mind at ease. Had there been a pass to Nolan while he had position it wouldve ended 3 possible ways:

He fumbles the pass and gets stripped
It goes off his fingerstips and out of bounds for the turnover
And finally he catches rushes his move and gets called for the travel.

Believe me Nolan getting the ball in the post is not ending well. I think we`re going to have to try to start giving Facey some dumps down low and see if hes able to score a basket.

Reaction Score
Like to see if Facey can shoot the ball from the 3 point line and in, maybe 17 footers. I think he has shooting touch to go along with the rebounding.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sam Jr's shooting has disappointed. People sometimes get upset when I speak frankly - but here it goes - our Bigs have not developed post moves they have confidence in against good competition. It needs to be addressed. Frankly, Facey may be the best option of the three - but quite frankly not in low post moves.
TSam has zero confidence in his 15 foot shot - now that he plays more - teams are incorporating into their scouting reports. Unless Purvis or Calhoun returns to FR form we have a real shooting problem.
Quite frankly I was expecting to see a Clyde Vaughn reference! You let me down. Very disappointed.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Let me set your mind at ease. Had there been a pass to Nolan while he had position it wouldve ended 3 possible ways:

He fumbles the pass and gets stripped
It goes off his fingerstips and out of bounds for the turnover
And finally he catches rushes his move and gets called for the travel.

Believe me Nolan getting the ball in the post is not ending well. I think we`re going to have to try to start giving Facey some dumps down low and see if hes able to score a basket.

I hear you on that, my biggest gripe with the situation is that everyone else was bricking shots and turning the ball over, so passing to the open guy, even if it is Nolan, wouldn't have been much of a gamble.

Reaction Score
We only turned the ball over 8 times. That's very low for a college game. We had our problems on offense, but that wasn't one.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have a serious question which some may find dumb since I will be the first to admit I'm nowhere near a "brilliant" basketball mind...

Why do we need, or even want, guys "who can create their own shots"? We don't have a Kobe or Carmelo on the team but we do have a lot of guys who are really solid. Shouldn't we be running team offense - pick and rolls, screens, back screens, dribble penetrate and kick out, etc etc? I get that Boat and Hamilton are very talented and are likely the ones we want taking shots, but why not create an opening for them instead of expecting them to do it one on one?

Reaction Score
I have a serious question which some may find dumb since I will be the first to admit I'm nowhere near a "brilliant" basketball mind...

Why do we need, or even want, guys "who can create their own shots"? We don't have a Kobe or Carmelo on the team but we do have a lot of guys who are really solid. Shouldn't we be running team offense - pick and rolls, screens, back screens, dribble penetrate and kick out, etc etc? I get that Boat and Hamilton are very talented and are likely the ones we want taking shots, but why not create an opening for them instead of expecting them to do it one on one?

Your best offense is predicated on personnel. You want to break down the defense one way or the other. If you have a dominant post player who draws double teams, that's one easy way. If you have a great point guard who can beat his man one on one and draw help and make the right reads, that's another way. If you spread the floor with shooters and utilize dribble penetration, floor spacing and ball reversal, that's another way. Or constant motion offense where nobody's ever standing still, where you move the ball until you catch the defense failing to react to a cut or screen, that's another way.

For the latter, the best way for it to work is to have multiple triple threat type guys on the floor - guys who can shoot, drive or pass. If you don't, then all the motion is wasted effort, since the defense can adjust accordingly (i.e. "I don't care if Samuel is rotating up to the top of the key, since he can't shoot, so I'll play off him and clog the middle" - or "Facey is setting Hamilton a screen 18 feet from the basket, but Facey isn't a threat as a shooter or passer out there, so we'll just make sure we hedge with Facey's man to cover Hamilton and then recover later"). The Princeton offense usually requires a shooting/passing big out of the high post, for example. Forces the opposing big to come out and defend and keeps the lane open for back cuts, and then the guards receiving the ball on the cut can make the next read (open lay-up, kick out to shooter, etc.). The back cuts also only work if you are worried about chasing your man out to the three-point line as well.

Good motion also requires good screens. At the half against Texas, when people were complaining about lots of different things, my biggest complaint was that our screens were terrible. In the first half, we weren't even making contact with the defender, so anybody who was moving off the ball just had his man trailing the whole way and never got open.

Ultimately, you need guys who can create their own shots or make plays. Sometimes the defense "wins" a possession, covers everything, and forces you to do something late in the shot clock.

Reaction Score
People sometimes get upset when I speak frankly - but here it goes - our Bigs have not developed post moves they have confidence in against good competition. It needs to be addressed.

Yeah, be careful Chief, you're really going to ruffle some feathers by expressing that opinion that literally everyone else who's seen the team play agrees with.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
Yeah, be careful Chief, you're really going to ruffle some feathers by expressing that opinion that literally everyone else who's seen the team play agrees with.
Yeah but Chiefs underlying point is that we haven't had effective bigs since Clyde Vaughn got in touch with his inner John.

H

huskymagic

McCracken I think the OP's point is why are we not getting bigs or tweeners that are physical and can man up and start dunking on people. I miss the days when Calhoun got guys like Stanley, Josh Boone, Charlie V, Rudy, Emeka, Jeff Adrien. Guys that were bruisers or aggressively looking to dunk on people or make plays happen. We need to start looking to go back to the semi-old days of recruiting. I want to see some "nasty" out there.

Reaction Score
McCracken I think the OP's point is why are we not getting bigs or tweeners that are physical and can man up and start dunking on people. I miss the days when Calhoun got guys like Stanley, Josh Boone, Charlie V, Rudy, Emeka, Jeff Adrien. Guys that were bruisers or aggressively looking to dunk on people or make plays happen. We need to start looking to go back to the semi-old days of recruiting. I want to see some "nasty" out there.

When did Rudy and Boone become bruisers? We spent the better part of their time here (and after) complaining about how soft they were.

Reaction Score
It was unfortunate and does seem like a turning point but how the hell was it a showoff dunk?
Just lay it in. It needed to be a layup. No style points, no ESPN highlights. Just a good old fashion layup.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We have no zone offense, and our man offense runs exclusively through Boat and Hamilton passing to one another. Its not hard to stop. Thats why when you saw Texas go man in the second half, they practically left Cassell open and shadowed Boat or Hamilton.

They also knew our bigs are not good enough to finish down low, so they clogged the arc. This can easily be fixed if we can develop a dependable shooter to compliment Hamilton/Boat. Or, someone who can knock down the 15 footer in the middle of the zone.

Reaction Score
We have no zone offense, and our man offense runs exclusively through Boat and Hamilton passing to one another. Its not hard to stop. Thats why when you saw Texas go man in the second half, they practically left Cassell open and shadowed Boat or Hamilton.

They also knew our bigs are not good enough to finish down low, so they clogged the arc. This can easily be fixed if we can develop a dependable shooter to compliment Hamilton/Boat. Or, someone who can knock down the 15 footer in the middle of the zone.

I was driving home during the first half. Joe D's call on essentially every possession went like this: Boatright w/ a screen on top dribbles and is cut off and passes to Hamilton. Hamilton fakes, penetrates kicks back to Boatright who stutter steps penetrates and kick out to Hamiton... He holds penetrates back to Boat who resets. High screen for Boat, 10 on the shot clock...

Reaction Score
No one has zone offense when you're shooting 18% from 3 and 30 overall. Only things these numbers do is help them clog the zone and keep making you shoot. Their in no hurry to get to any particular shooter and why would they. Just clog and make sure it's one and out

Reaction Score
TouchdownHusky said:
Just lay it in. It needed to be a layup. No style points, no ESPN highlights. Just a good old fashion layup.

He was going full speed with an open lane to the basket and a defender in the paint closing in behind him. If he goes soft and it gets blocked from behind, we're all over him for not taking it strong ("throw it down - I thought he was a Ferrari").

It wasn't going to be an ESPN top 10 highlight - nothing fancy about it. It was just a straight dunk. I don't want our players trying to emulate 1947 Holy Cross - if they can go strong, go strong. It's been a common frustration with our bigs the last couple years that they don't go strong and leave points behind because they aren't strong around the rim and miss chippies.

Reaction Score
He was going full speed with an open lane to the basket and a defender in the paint closing in behind him. If he goes soft and it gets blocked from behind, we're all over him for not taking it strong ("throw it down - I thought he was a Ferrari").

It wasn't going to be an ESPN top 10 highlight - nothing fancy about it. It was just a straight dunk. I don't want our players trying to emulate 1947 Holy Cross - if they can go strong, go strong. It's been a common frustration with our bigs the last couple years that they don't go strong and leave points behind because they aren't strong around the rim and miss chippies.

Ask Facey the other day what he would do if given the lane he got? Instead of allowing Holmes to block it from behind fire it home and at the very least they will have to foul you!

Reaction Score
KO article: we need to spend more time in the gym after 2 hour practice to improve shooting. Question, what did they do in the 6 months after the title and why would this be the difference maker? Rodney has had 2 years to practice shooting. We knew this was the problem going into this year so I hope recruiting addresses this for the future.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Purvis is the X factor for this team.

I think if he scores 13+ per game, that's a huge load off of this offense. Even if he does it by driving, he'll free up open shots and take pressure off of our other guys and shots will start falling.

He played well against Dayton. I'm not going to let a game where he played limping take away from what I saw from him. This team does need him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom