The Newsroom... | The Boneyard

The Newsroom...

Reaction Score
Season 2 premeires this evening. Loved this show last season as a behind the scenes view of how a mythical news staff produces the nightly news & sets its editorial agenda using actual current events as its focal points. Oh, and Olivia Munn can't be on the set enough!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I hate this show.

I hate it more than Treme and I really, really, really hate Treme.

Honestly, it's like someone set out to parody an Aaron Sorkin show and didn't know where to stop.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's a good show. A little too slapstick at times, but a good show.

Very West Wing-y with characters talking over each other and lots of monologues by characters that are really opinions of Sorkin and not necessarily relevant to the plot.

Reaction Score
My favorite show after Game of Thrones. The premise of the show is incredibly important.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That's because you're a leftist and that show is eye candy for idealist nincompoops.

Seems like you have some familiarity with the show, or did Rush tell you what not to watch? Keep your poops to yourself.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Other thoughts:

The 3 main female characters are idiots, which detracts from the show. Olivia Munn is supposed to play this ex-Goldman banker but she is a total ditz. The Emily Mortimer character borders on absurd. No one gets to that position without being brilliant. Alison Pill's character would have been fired about 4 times last season if she worked in a real newsroom.

In a show like Veep, you can look past the fact that everyone is an idiot because it is only going for comedy. Newsroom is trying to have it both ways, and the silliness of the female characters takes away a little from the show.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Other thoughts:

The 3 main female characters are idiots, which detracts from the show. Olivia Munn is supposed to play this ex-Goldman banker but she is a total ditz. The Emily Mortimer character borders on absurd. No one gets to that position without being brilliant. Alison Pill's character would have been fired about 4 times last season if she worked in a real newsroom.

In a show like Veep, you can look past the fact that everyone is an idiot because it is only going for comedy. Newsroom is trying to have it both ways, and the silliness of the female characters takes away a little from the show.

You never watch Fox News?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
\
Don't f--- this board up.[/quote]

I don't see you scolding Zoo Cougar. I guess you didn't read his post or thought it was in line.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
The part I do not understand is that Will is supposed to be conservative, but surrounds himself with an 1000% liberal staff?

And way too much clothing for an HBO program.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
\
Don't f--- this board up.

I don't see you scolding Zoo Cougar. I guess you didn't read his post or thought it was in line.[/quote]

He made a joke.

You just can't tell the difference.

And we have a place for that - the Cesspool.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The part I do not understand is that Will is supposed to be conservative, but surrounds himself with an 1000% liberal staff?

Because it is just a terrible show.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't see you scolding Zoo Cougar. I guess you didn't read his post or thought it was in line.

He made a joke.

You just can't tell the difference.

And we have a place for that - the Cesspool.[/quote]

My comment to Nelson was clearly a joke. Maybe you can't tell the difference, either. Zoo's comment on my straightforward post was a good deal more explocitly political than mine to Nelson, and was at least as Cesspool in nature as mine.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The point of the show is that conservatives should be smart enough to tell the difference between philosophical conservatism and, as they call it in one episode, the "clown car" that is the Tea Party. Sorkin is asking why Republicans are not doing something about their radicals.

The real target of Newsroom is not the Republican Party though, it is CNN. The fictional ACN is Sorkin's view of what CNN should be, a provider of smart, fact-based, analysis of real news. Instead, CNN has become a traffic cop that makes you stop and look at the car wreck, and it does it on 2 channels. One of the "Tragedy P---" episodes from last season was absolutely brutal on Nancy Grace and CNN's coverage of the Casey Anthony trial. Newsroom takes CNN behind the woodshed almost every episode.

The irony with CNN is that it trails Fox and MSNBC badly until there is real news, at which point CNN spikes. People do trust CNN to deliver real news and not just opinions, but do not care for the manufactured garbage that CNN floats most of the time.

Reaction Score
The newsroom is just the latest piece of left wing propaganda masquerading as a TV series.

Jeff Daniels is soooooo convincing when he exposes the Tea Party as the most dangerous movement in American history. He makes me feel a thrill down my leg.

What a load of dog doo.

Reaction Score
The newsroom is just the latest piece of left wing propaganda masquerading as a TV series.

Jeff Daniels is soooooo convincing when he exposes the Tea Party as the most dangerous movement in American history. He makes me feel a thrill down my leg.

What a load of dog doo.

O.K., I know I'm going to regret asking this, but like Fishy pointed out I'm easily amused. So let me ask: since you are clear to share your opinion that the mainstream media in this nation if greatly left biased, why does it but you that a mainstream media organization that is the focus of a TV series is portrayed as being left biased? If they showed the network as being as silly as Fox News, wouldn't you say "here goes the left -- pretending that mainstream media might just as easily lean right."

Not much makes you happy, does it?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Go back to the Cesspool.

Don't f--- this board up.

Not for Nothing, but they were both trying to make jokes. Both failed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

What a load of dog doo.

Good thing it is on HBO and no one forces you to watch or subscribe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom