The Newsroom... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Newsroom...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Who's Jack Henry? Stop before you hurt yourself. Stick to commentary on financial matters and Occupy Wall Street because as much as people give you about that (I at least appreciate the different POV), you have zero knowledge of baseball, the goings on in the Major Leagues in the early 2000s, the Sabermetric revolution, the book in general, or the industry's reaction to it. If Sorkin needed that much creative license to turn the book into a movie, it should not be named after the book. The book was bastardized.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Jack Henry = John Henry.

Really, how hard was that?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Some is a little pissed that they didn't make a movie about regression analysis.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Jack Henry = John Henry.

Really, how hard was that?
Nelson is normally very meticulous in his posts. If he wrote "Jack," he probably meant to write it.

Thanks for your input, but I know for certain that he can fight his own battles as well. There are normally about 14 people ganging up on him and he is pretty good at sticking to his guns, no matter how wrong he may or may not be.

Did I just give, not one but, two (backhanded) compliments to Nelson within the span of two posts? Will wonders never cease? :eek:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not especially, but (to name a few things among others) there was a full chapter in the book on the draft where Oakland picked Jeremy Brown in the 1st round and why Beane valued him over other players with "the look." There is also a chapter devoted to the advent of SABR and Bill James. They should have tied that in somewhere. And finally, I thought the Joe Morgan voiceover was grossly misplaced, as I said before.

Overall, its not a terrible movie, but it terribly misrepresents the history on which it proports to be based, and has little do with the concepts in the book. Whether they enjoyed it or not, I think any real baseball fan should agree that the movie should not have been called Moneyball.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing about the movie Moneyball that sticks out was its portrayal of Art Howe as an incompetent loser who had no business managing a team while Billy Beane secretly managed them from the clubhouse....I call BS on that.

That said....loved the book and liked the movie.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The biggest thing about the movie Moneyball that sticks out was its portrayal of Art Howe as an incompetent loser who had no business managing a team while Billy Beane secretly managed them from the clubhouse....I call BS on that.

That said...loved the book and liked the movie.
Yeah, Art Howe had a problem with that as well...:)

That's why I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman did a terrible job. He may have played the part as written, but he was not true to history. The roll of Art Howe was miscast. Hoffman is too squat heavy and looked terribly dumpy in a baseball uniform (He would have been a great Lasorda). Howe looked much more distinguished and in control as A's manager (Even if it was Beane that suggested he always stand at the front of the dugout). Maybe Howe should have been another amalgamation character like Peter Brand (Paul DePodesta).

Reaction Score
Why did they use a ficticious Peter Brand....why not have it actually be DePodesta? weird

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why did they use a ficticious Peter Brand....why not have it actually be DePodesta? weird
DePodesta supposedly didn't want to be associated with the movie. The Brand character only stresses how cash strapped the A's were. In reality, Beane had/has a larger staff.

Reaction Score
Thanks.

Howe is the one who should not want to be associated with it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The first two episodes of this season are just incredible. For those who can't get past their own political biases, the whole season is about how the Newsroom goes out on a limb on an anti-military story and gets it wrong, resulting in the major characters getting in deep, deep s&*^. I am not giving away any spoilers, since you learn that in the first 15 minutes of the first episode of the season. So if you need to see bad things happen to liberals to enjoy a show, this is the show for you.

This is a much more interesting assessment of how the newsroom runs. All the segment producers continually pitch the EP, and it is interesting to hear her reasons for declining them. Mackenzie has become much more realistic this season than she was last season.

Reaction Score
The further you are to the left the more you'll like the Newsroom. Surprise, Nelson loves this trash. You must have been jumping for joy when Jeff Daniels was telling everyone how dangerous the Tea Party is. LOL. It's a joke.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that Palatine has only seen the advertisements . . .
In his defense, I imagine it's hard to see when you're being tea-bagged.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Actually, while I've liked the show, I think the writing has been a mess this year. I'm starting to have a hard time with it.

Reaction Score
I love Sorkin, and am as so far to the left I think Obama is a Republican, but the show is a hot mess. SOOOOOOO disappointed.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The first two episodes of this season are just incredible. For those who can't get past their own political biases, the whole season is about how the Newsroom goes out on a limb on an anti-military story and gets it wrong, resulting in the major characters getting in deep, deep s& ^. I am not giving away any spoilers, since you learn that in the first 15 minutes of the first episode of the season. So if you need to see bad things happen to liberals to enjoy a show, this is the show for you.

This is a much more interesting assessment of how the newsroom runs. All the segment producers continually pitch the EP, and it is interesting to hear her reasons for declining them. Mackenzie has become much more realistic this season than she was last season.

So the show is about MSNBC?

I admit I have only watched one episode and it didn't do anything for me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So the show is about MSNBC?

I admit I have only watched one episode and it didn't do anything for me.

It is actually based on CNN. I would imagine the closest parallel for the Jeff Daniels character is Anderson Cooper, who does everything he can to avoid being too political.

Reaction Score
The show has SOOOO many problems, but I really like Sorkin dialogue so I keep watching. And I have to say, the last 2 episodes were the least annoying, and therefore the best, that the show has had that I can remember.

Keep the women from being annoying and limit Maggie as much as possible, and you have the outlines of a good show. Bringing this season into the realm of the fictional was a good move because the show could not do what it did the first season for 5 seasons.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Meh, it gives me something to watch in between Dexter and Homeland.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The further you are to the left the more you'll like the Newsroom. Surprise, Nelson loves this trash. You must have been jumping for joy when Jeff Daniels was telling everyone how dangerous the Tea Party is. LOL. It's a joke.
They're doing something right. It appears it was renewed for a 3rd season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The tea party is dangerous.

Reaction Score
Anyone who likes this show is a complete mouth breather with an IQ lower than 100. The worse part is these mouth breathers think they are "smart" because they watch and laugh at the "witty" lines spouted out by some of the worst characters in TV.

Did I mention I hate this show?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You can like whatever you want, but you sound a little silly when you say that people that like a show like this are stupid. Like most of Sorkin's stuff, if you don't have a wide range of knowledge of both the world and pop culture, a lot of the show will not make any sense. Pretentious liberal weenies? Maybe. Stupid? Probably not.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Actually. after getting past the first few episodes this year which were a mess because the writing was trying to be too "smart" the ship is righting some. I took a break for a while and then, after catching up, I think it is worth a watch. Like Homeland, which also was becoming messy with too many curve balls to be anywhere near believable, when the writers dial back again, the stuff starts to ring true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom