The Hall of Fame | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never compared Wagner to Ripken. I only stated Wagner was the undisputed #1 SS in history of baseball.

Yount played 10 years at SS and 10 in OF (Ripken was better overall anyway even if you just consider RY a SS), Ernie played more years at 1st than SS he spent less than half his career at SS. His peak and best years were when he was at SS but he had to be moved to 1st.

Either way Ripken was a great and underrated defensive SS. That's what cements him as #2 on all time SS list behind Wagner. He was good offensively and even better defensively

Career WAR:
Honus (21 years) 131
Ripken (21) 95.5
Yount (20) 77
Ozzie (19) 76.4
Jeter (20) 71.8
Trammel (20) 70.4
Larkin (19) 70.2
Ernie (19) 67.5

If I was ranking them it would go: Wagner, Ripken, Banks, Jeter, Ozzie

SS's are a real good discussion because there weren't a lot of great ones at everything. After the obvious Wagner people can put Ripken, Yount, Jeter, Banks and maybe even Larkin in any order and they'd have an argument.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This coming from a Red Sox fan with no bias. He was a real good player, a great player, a HOFer. How long was he the best player in baseball and give me those years just in case I have an argument for those?
That's a straw man argument, you're introducing Mau. I said he was the best player in the American League the year the Red Sox saved baseball in Boston. He may have been the single most important Red Sox player in their history, considering the state of the franchise by the early 60's. Yes, even more important than Teddy Ballgame if only because he wasn't so surly.

Reaction Score
That's a straw man argument, you're introducing Mau. I said he was the best player in the American League the year the Red Sox saved baseball in Boston. He may have been the single most important Red Sox player in their history, considering the state of the franchise by the early 60's. Yes, even more important than Teddy Ballgame if only because he wasn't so surly.

I have no reason to not agree or believe he is the most important player in Red Sox history. And I am sure a year or 2 he was the best player in the AL or close. But there were a lot of good players back in his day too, just not too many on the Yankees! :rolleyes:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, I am anti-"compiler argument"
I have no reason to not agree or believe he is the most important player in Red Sox history. And I am sure a year or 2 he was the best player in the AL or close. But there were a lot of good players back in his day too, just not too many on the Yankees! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom