The Girls | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Girls

Reaction Score
The women's team is so well coached and disciplined it's insane. Geno is a master in every way possible. Hats off to him and what he has accomplished.

OK just so we know he's also human awful job by Geno to allow Gabby to get her 3rd with under 2 minutes left first half. Should have never been in there because she doesn't play anyway but all out same with Collier. You can't keep either of them in with foul trouble they just keep playing as if they have none. I do realize the options but with a 7-8 point lead finish the half without her too much game left. I mean half the reason Maryland stayed in the game at all because Gabby had to play ole' defense so often and Collier was sitting for basically a full quarter otherwise this isn't that close.

Having said that he out coaches all the womens coaches easily game in game out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I call the teams The Girls and The Boys, always have.

Lou is one of three Div I basketball playing sisters. The other two, also recruited by Geno, went to Stanford. Geno said that Stanford got the rebounding sisters, lol. Nice family.

CrSEzVpUEAAiqX2.jpg
Corona?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OK just so we know he's also human awful job by Geno to allow Gabby to get her 3rd with under 2 minutes left first half. Should have never been in there because she doesn't play anyway but all out same with Collier. You can't keep either of them in with foul trouble they just keep playing as if they have none. I do realize the options but with a 7-8 point lead finish the half without her too much game left. I mean half the reason Maryland stayed in the game at all because Gabby had to play ole' defense so often and Collier was sitting for basically a full quarter otherwise this isn't that close.

Does Geno take out a junior that's playing phenomenally well to put in a freshman that hasn't played a minute in a tight game? On the road?

The team is realistically only 7 deep and one of those, Butler, struggles against uptempo teams. The only other options are two seldom used freshmen and a former walk on.

Reaction Score
Does Geno take out a junior that's playing phenomenally well to put in a freshman that hasn't played a minute in a tight game? On the road?

The team is realistically only 7 deep and one of those, Butler, struggles against uptempo teams. The only other options are two seldom used freshmen and a former walk on.

Sorry Nan but with the lead on the road and your best player potentially playing like she had to, YES you take her out with that much time left in the half. Run the clock when you get possessions and the lead will not dwindle all that much if at all. Chong, Butler, Lou, Nurse and Crystal would have been fine. Especially with Collier in similar trouble. It wasn't a good move but worked out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Corona Light - Best Beers 8893;)
It's one of very few beers that I actively hate. I would rather have a Coors Light, which has no perceptible taste and is essentially like drinking water. Corona tastes nasty to me, and Corona Light just slightly less nasty.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sorry Nan but with the lead on the road and your best player potentially playing like she had to, YES you take her out with that much time left in the half. Run the clock when you get possessions and the lead will not dwindle all that much if at all. Chong, Butler, Lou, Nurse and Crystal would have been fine. Especially with Collier in similar trouble. It wasn't a good move but worked out.
Did you see the Maryland layup line in the fourth quarter? That's an example of Butler's defense against quick, strong post players and Maryland's Jones is an All American.

Reaction Score
Did you see the Maryland layup line in the fourth quarter? That's an example of Butler's defense against quick, strong post players and Maryland's Jones is an All American.

It was also an example of Gabby coming in with 4, she guarded no one. I get it Nan, Butler wasn't good but for 2 minutes to keep her out of #3 it was the way to go. They had to hold on only because she got her 4th which could have been her 3rd. Would have won easily but it worked as I said.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Geno is known for his "you work it out" attitude about fouls. I'd say that it's a mistake but he has, um, let's see, 11 more national championships than I do.

Truth be told, I don't think Geno coaches to win these games. He wants to win, but the coaching is aimed at March not December.

Reaction Score
It's one of very few beers that I actively hate. I would rather have a Coors Light, which has no perceptible taste and is essentially like drinking water. Corona tastes nasty to me, and Corona Light just slightly less nasty.

The fact you would even put Coors Light in there rather than Corona Light makes me nervous now of all of your fav's on Best Beer. You have no taste buds buddy!:oops:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Truth be told, I don't think Geno coaches to win these games. He wants to win, but the coaching is aimed at March not December.
I was thinking that while watching him during the ND game. When we were down, he didn't look like he minded the thought of losing the game. Of course, when we pushed our lead to 7 he started yelling at them to push it to 17, but that's another lesson.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

The regular season is extended practice for the women's team under Geno. At the end of the game, the analysts were talking about how Maryland learned they could play with UConn, and will come back a better team come tourney time.

Haven't they noticed the difference between playing Geno's guys between November and mid-March and playing them when it matters? Different team in the tourney.

Reaction Score

I didn't turn the game on until the start of the 4th quarter but did hear what happened afterwards about the foul trouble issues. My comment wasn't about last nights game because I missed most of it but what he has accomplished over the last 20+ years and continues to do year in and year out and yes... he easily out coaches the opposing coaches every game AND he must be an amazing practice coach because his teams are well prepared going into every game.. I think there is an HBO special they are taping this year behind the scenes... I look forward to seeing that documentary.

Reaction Score
I was thinking that while watching him during the ND game. When we were down, he didn't look like he minded the thought of losing the game. Of course, when we pushed our lead to 7 he started yelling at them to push it to 17, but that's another lesson.
Actually, I think the two scenarios are related. His responses to each are genius.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Geno is known for his "you work it out" attitude about fouls. I'd say that it's a mistake but he has, um, let's see, 11 more national championships than I do.

I'm not even sure it's about March or records. It's about development and performance. While the rest of us are caught up in the accomplishments of goals he's looking at his players and games in a different way. He wants every game to be a masterpiece and if that can't happen he wants that game to offer his players the opportunity to improve.

This years team lacks a pg that plays at the caliber of pgs on his better teams (Bird, Montgomery, MoJeff) and is missing an elite center. This season was supposed to be a development season for next year when Crystal is a sophomore and the center sitting on the bench gets to play. When he was interviewed after the game by Kara he was sincere in his statement that no one was more surprised than him this team would be undefeated at this juncture of the season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I love how they are always referred to as "the girls team" but no one calls the men "the boys team." While we're being misogynistic, Katie Lou is very very good looking.

It's 'girls' and 'guys'. Pretty inoffensive really.

And it's misogynistic to refer to a girl female as "very very good looking?"

2016. What a time to be alive.

Reaction Score

Didn't see the game, but if Geno is keeping players out there with two fouls (the horror!), then he immediately moves up a peg in my book. It's one of the thoughtless, conventional rules of basketball that I can't stand. The fact that he's willing to do things like that probably offers some insight into why he's so successful.

Reaction Score

I can sort of see why it might be problematic to refer to people of the same age as "girls" and "men," but I always justify it as being necessary to save a syllable.

The idea that you can't call somebody good looking is terribly misplaced, though I get why that fear exists.

Reaction Score

He basically confirmed this post game when he said he made this season's schedule so tough early on so they wouldn't make it through undefeated. I'm sure he secretly wanted a loss so they could learn from it for later this season

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The fact you would even put Coors Light in there rather than Corona Light makes me nervous now of all of your fav's on Best Beer. You have no taste buds buddy!:oops:

Cause everybody knows Corona light vs coors light is the ultimate arbiter of taste. Natural Light and keystone might as well be in there too.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I've decided I can never criticize Geno for any coaching decisions.

Reaction Score

You know, my wife will tell me she's out having lunch tomorrow with the girls. (Youngest 70.) So either find some leftovers or go to the Seahorse in Noank for an early dinner with the boys. This whole political correctness is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I know they're not as good as the past few years, but I find this team a lot more fun to watch. They still play that same great basketball, but the games are actually competitive.
This is why im actually watching this season. I already respected Gino but wow this guy is on another level as a coach MEN or WOMEN! Id like to see what this guy could do coaching the mens team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom