The GAME ....Showdown in Waco | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The GAME ....Showdown in Waco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
And for the record, I have never once said that I think that Baylor will win this game...not once. I challenge you to find one post where I said that. I have only commented once on the predicted outcome and I said that a win is certainly no guarantee for Baylor. I have challenged things said about players and their strengths and weaknesses, but not once have I predicted a Baylor win.

Based on recent quality of play, unless BG and Sims explode, I actually think UCONN gets the nod because they look more polished and cohesive at this point. There are still a lot of unanswered questions with the Baylor supporting cast and I see a lot of inconsistency that worries me.
ETT maybe you can answer a question that was bothering me. Kim said something about getting along on the court. I dont remember the exact words. Are there problems with the players about sharing the ball? Do you know anything about what she meant.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT maybe you can answer a question that was bothering me. Kim said something about getting along on the court. I dont remember the exact words. Are there problems with the players about sharing the ball? Do you know anything about what she meant.

I think the issue is that some of the players feel that some of the other players are not putting in their best effort. Sims called out her teammates recently saying something to the effect of "coach knows what she will get every game from BG and me, but some of the other players are not coming to play."

I haven't heard of any off-court squabbles, but who knows. Mulkey is very tight-lipped when it comes to internal issues.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im wondering if the other players are deferring to Simms and Griner and are just standing around waiting for them.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Im wondering if the other players are deferring to Simms and Griner and are just standing around waiting for them.

I think it is more on the defensive end and rebounding.

Reaction Score
This perception still intrigues me as I have not seen Baylor tire this season, neither against Notre Dame nor Tennessee. Maybe there is something that I have just missed but I just haven't seen it. Is this based on something seen in watching Baylor games or an assumption that no team can possibly be as well conditioned as UCONN. Is this year's squad exceptionally conditioned compared to teams in the past?

It is something I've noticed while watching the Baylor games. It seemed to me that Griner was slow in transition, but I wasn't sure if it was just that her long legs made it appear that she was moving slowly. So, I took a stopwatch and timed how long it took her to get to the other end of the court on a variety of plays. I did the same for Dolson. I noted that Griner was often 1 to 3 seconds slower on a majority of plays. I also noticed that Uconn on defense in general plays a step closer to her man and thus expends significantly more energy guarding. Also, Uconn full court presses much more than any of the teams you mentioned. Also, Uconn is much more active on offense. All of these thngs lead me to believe Uconn's conditioning is superior.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is something I've noticed while watching the Baylor games. It seemed to me that Griner was slow in transition, but I wasn't sure if it was just that her long legs made it appear that she was moving slowly. So, I took a stopwatch and timed how long it took her to get to the other end of the court on a variety of plays. I did the same for Dolson. I noted that Griner was often 1 to 3 seconds slower on a majority of plays. I also noticed that Uconn on defense in general plays a step closer to her man and thus expends significantly more energy guarding. Also, Uconn full court presses much more than any of the teams you mentioned. Also, Uconn is much more active on offense. All of these thngs lead me to believe Uconn's conditioning is superior.
Good points, Besti. Thanks for documenting the difference between BG and Stef. I was sure it was true but never thought of timing them, doh!

All that plus numerous coaches over the last several seasons have commented on the conditioning of UConn after the game. UConn changed conditioning coaches a few years ago and it had an immediate impact on the team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I contend that Griner purposely trails on offense. I believe it to be part of the offensive scheme to have her moving to the basket so that she is not just standing under the basket to allow for three defenders to surround her too quickly. Not setting up too early and getting pushed on as quickly does allow her to save some energy as well. I have seen her draw a lot of fouls from defenders who are trying to prevent her from moving toward the lane.

I could be wrong, but there has even been discussion between Mulkey and Griner about her trailing. Griner is trying to talk Mulkey into letting her shoot the three as the trailer as well...don't see that happening too often. For anyone who goes to the game, keep an eye on Griner shooting threes in warmups. It is quite impressive and one day will be a weapon that Baylor uses.

On defense, BG does not have to lean on defenders. She can play off of them and still block shots, thus conserving her energy. Griner doesn't have to use nearly as much energy guarding as her opponents do. Dolson will have to exert a lot of energy guarding Griner and that will have an impact on her tendency to pick up fouls and also will affect her on the offensive end since it will deplete her energy level.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I contend that Griner purposely trails on offense. I believe it to be part of the offensive scheme to have her moving to the basket so that she is not just standing under the basket to allow for three defenders to surround her too quickly. Not setting up too early and getting pushed on as quickly does allow her to save some energy as well.

I could be wrong, but there has even been discussion between Mulkey and Griner about her trailing. Griner is trying to talk Mulkey into letting her shoot the three as the trailer as well...don't see that happening too often.

On defense, BG does not have to lean on defenders. She can play off of them and still block shots, thus conserving her energy. Griner doesn't have to use nearly as much energy guarding as her opponents do. Dolson will have to exert a lot of energy guarding Griner and that will have an impact on her tendency to pick up fouls and also will affect her on the offensive end since it will deplete her energy level.

For anyone who goes to the game, keep an eye on Griner shooting threes in warmups. It is quite impressive and one day will be a weapon that Baylor uses.
I have never ever heard a coach encourage a player especially a player like Griner to do what you are suggesting.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have never ever heard a coach encourage a player especially a player like Griner to do what you are suggesting.

Then again, you've never seen a player like Griner that gets "leaned on" to the extent that Griner does.

But this is just my opinion from watching almost every Baylor game for the past two and a third seasons. I've seen some trends that are not common on other teams. I think that some unique things are done with her due to alleviate the pounding that she takes.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Then again, you've never seen a player like Griner that gets "leaned on" to the extent that Griner does.

But this is just my opinion from watching almost every Baylor game for the past two and a third seasons. I've seen some trends that are not common on other teams. I think that some unique things are done with her due to alleviate the pounding that she takes.
If that is the case it will play into what UConn needs to do and that is cause Baylor to waste as much time as possible before setting up their offense and then harassing them into shot clock violations.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If that is the case it will play into what UConn needs to do and that is cause Baylor to waste as much time as possible before setting up their offense and then harassing them into shot clock violations.

It very possibly may. I believe that BG will often trail on offense after a made basket by UCONN in order to serve as an outlet valve to help break the press. On a missed shot I think she will haul ass if Baylor attempts to run as she is a great finisher.

I could be way off base, but I have just seen this tendency to have BG trail a lot this season and in no way to I believe her to be slow or lazy. I have seen her sprint down the court and block too many shots from behind to think of her as slow.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It very possibly may. I believe that BG will often trail on offense after a made basket by UCONN in order to serve as an outlet valve to help break the press. On a missed shot I think she will haul ass if Baylor attempts to run as she is a great finisher.

I could be way off base, but I have just seen this tendency to have BG trail a lot this season and in now way to I believe her to be slow or lazy. I have seen her sprint down the court and block too many shots from behind to think of her as slow.
I think I will stick with she is slow and lazy. I simply do not see a kid who is motivated to challenge herself physically. I haven't seen her as much as you but I have seen 9-10 games.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think I will stick with she is slow and lazy. I simply do not see a kid who is motivated to challenge herself physically. I haven't seen her as much as you but I have seen 9-10 games.

Hey, we are all entitled to our opinions based on our observations. That is what makes banter like this so much fun. Hopefully she will change your mind Sunday, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom