The defensive scheme is garbage. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The defensive scheme is garbage.

Reaction Score
The telling play to me was the key 3rd down and ECU could run out the clock if they converted. Crocker had guys playing 10 yards deeper than the first down marker. What’s the point of stopping a TD when a first down effectively ends the game. Edsall called a timeout and had everyone inside the first down marker. The defense then held. I just don’t see much intelligence with Crocker’s scheme.

Playing 8 guys 5 to 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage is silly unless you have three Reggie Whites. One of the reasons we are having tackling problems is every back has the luxury of running downhill before they encounter a tackler.

Crocker appears in over his head - Randy needs to focus on the defense - and more than likely Crocker needs to go if a replacement can be found.

Another thing, hopefully we have seen the last of Tre Bell turning into toast.

Look: we don't have the talent to be a good defensive team, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues with the scheme as well. When they kept throwing the bubble screens to the right, there was constantly two defenders wide, two blockers wide and the receiver. Not shockingly, we weren't stopping this play 3 against 2. So we wouldn't be good this year if Bill Parcells was coaching the D, but that doesn't mean I think Crocker is distinguishing himself here either. I think he is raising all sorts of questions. But that is not the primary problem.

I will try to do a 241 later today.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No 1,000,000 times to changing scheme temporarily. Long term damage not worth minimum short term gain. Your two choices are to stick with it and take your lumps, or move on from Crocker now.
It's not a binary choice. You can stick with the 3-3-5 but play it more conservatively putting more pressure on the QB. I'm not saying that's the right choice, because I don't see any easy fixes, but the beauty of the 3-3-5 is flexibility of attack. It can be tailored to whatever our guys do best. What scares me is the possibility that Crocker may have already done that.

Reaction Score
one play comes to mind on a 3rd down conversion for ECU (I think it was in the 4th Q), when we had two defenders trying to tackle ECU's WR a 1 or 2 yards short of the third down, yet the WR muscled his way through for the first down. I couldn't believe it

Reaction Score
I hated the. 3-3-5 the first time I saw it..thought it was a gimick D that was VERY susceptible to giving up large gIns in the rushing game due to the lack of toys in thenkine and the edge being open; and susceptible to giving up big plays in the passing game due to the possibility of blowing coverages. When Edsall brought in Crocker I was one of the few who spoke out against this BS scheme and was hammered for that stance a little bit. After watching today's game and thinking back to the Villanova game last year on my way home I am even more convinced that the 3-3-5 is a BS gimmick Defense that belongs in youth flag football. Time for Crocker to add a 4th down lineman.
I respectively disagree with you. What will 4 down lineman do for this defense? Maybe it will be more effective against the run but certainly not against the pass. ( Did I read somewhere that we are 127th in the country in pass defense?) Instead of one receiver being wide open there will be two receivers now wide open on every play with your 4 down lineman defensive plan. Maybe the opposing quarterback will hesitate a bit longer trying to figure out which wide open receiver to throw to and that will allow our slow defensive line to sack him!! NOT LIKELY. Do think that the opposing OC is going to run the ball more when we are in a 4 down linemen set? Do we have a fourth down lineman that is a great pass rusher on the bench? No, No and No.

This is the new paradigm of college football which our fans haven't had a lot of exposure to at the Rent. As we all know, in the big 12 and elsewhere in the world of college football 50 to 40 scores are common events. These up-tempo spread offenses are hard to stop. These are not the offenses that Edsall's defenses were stopping in the old big east. We are not playing those teams this year or ever again. Its not that we don't have the quality players to run a 3 3 5 defense. Its that we don't have the quality players to stop a up-tempo spread offence.

What we need is bigger faster and stronger players to play better defense. And yes, SMU and Tulsa both could score 70 points against our defense. When, Coach Crocker called for blitzes during the game they were mostly ineffective. Both Tre Bell and Vontae Diggs were easily was knock off their feet when they were given an opportunity to blitz the East Carolina quarterback. Jr. Joseph who played a great game got close a few times but couldn't get there. Some of the boneyarders like Brevers at outside linebacker because of his speed. Maybe he will be part of the answer going forward but we need more speed, size and strength everywhere on the field. Our two corners have only average speed, average size and average strength. They are suppose to be the strength of our defense but neither one of them have played well this year.

In time, I'm hopeful that our defense will get better as our younger players get more experience. However, unless we are playing during a old fashion New England snow storm , I doubt very much that we are going to witness those 17 to 13 wins of the Edsall's glory years ever again.

At least now we have a real OC at UConn so that we can stay competitive in these games. However, we all should buckle up and get ready for some high scoring games this year. We may be witnessing some combined triple digits scores before the season is over.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Look: we don't have the talent to be a good defensive team, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues with the scheme as well. When they kept throwing the bubble screens to the right, there was constantly two defenders wide, two blockers wide and the receiver. Not shockingly, we weren't stopping this play 3 against 2. So we wouldn't be good this year if Bill Parcells was coaching the D, but that doesn't mean I think Crocker is distinguishing himself here either. I think he is raising all sorts of questions. But that is not the primary problem.

Did you stay in 241? Must have cooked

Reaction Score
Look: we don't have the talent to be a good defensive team, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues with the scheme as well. When they kept throwing the bubble screens to the right, there was constantly two defenders wide, two blockers wide and the receiver. Not shockingly, we weren't stopping this play 3 against 2.

Agreed. And those two blockers more often than not dwarfed our D-backs making it impossible for them to get off the block. #86 was a monster 6'5" 250. Not only the bubble screen, but with the secondary 10-yards back from the line of scrimmage, the pitch to the RB behind those two blockers seemed good for 8+ yards every time.

I understand believing in a scheme but you can still make adjustments while sticking with the scheme. After those plays worked consistently during the first half, I thought for sure they'd close up the 10-yard cushion.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Agreed. And those two blockers more often than not dwarfed our D-backs making it impossible for them to get off the block. #86 was a monster 6'5" 250. Not only the bubble screen, but with the secondary 10-yards back from the line of scrimmage, the pitch to the RB behind those two blockers seemed good for 8+ yards every time.

I understand believing in a scheme but you can still make adjustments while sticking with the scheme. After those plays worked consistently during the first half, I thought for sure they'd close up the 10-yard cushion.
I’d love to see us use the Hback to block on pitches. Gotta respect BS’s wheels and we never see that option pitch which is deadly in college for whatever reason.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
241 is the shady side, behind the visitors bench. It was not uncomfortable there (it was uncomfortable tailgating in the sun before).
240 was a little uncomfortable, but it had nothing to do with the sun and the temperature :)

Reaction Score
No, the guy who had our number his entire tenure at WVU.
Yeah the guy who's running QB and spread Offense out up 450+ yards of offense each game. This is about defense and the 3-3-5 cost Rich Rod his job at michigan and has him on the warm seat at Arizona

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I respectively disagree with you. What will 4 down lineman do for this defense? Maybe it will be more effective against the run but certainly not against the pass. ( Did I read somewhere that we are 127th in the country in pass defense?) Instead of one receiver being wide open there will be two receivers now wide open on every play with your 4 down lineman defensive plan. Maybe the opposing quarterback will hesitate a bit longer trying to figure out which wide open receiver to throw to and that will allow our slow defensive line to sack him!! NOT LIKELY. Do think that the opposing OC is going to run the ball more when we are in a 4 down linemen set? Do we have a fourth down lineman that is a great pass rusher on the bench? No, No and No.

This is the new paradigm of college football which our fans haven't had a lot of exposure to at the Rent. As we all know, in the big 12 and elsewhere in the world of college football 50 to 40 scores are common events. These up-tempo spread offenses are hard to stop. These are not the offenses that Edsall's defenses were stopping in the old big east. We are not playing those teams this year or ever again. Its not that we don't have the quality players to run a 3 3 5 defense. Its that we don't have the quality players to stop a up-tempo spread offence.

What we need is bigger faster and stronger players to play better defense. And yes, SMU and Tulsa both could score 70 points against our defense. When, Coach Crocker called for blitzes during the game they were mostly ineffective. Both Tre Bell and Vontae Diggs were easily was knock off their feet when they were given an opportunity to blitz the East Carolina quarterback. Jr. Joseph who played a great game got close a few times but couldn't get there. Some of the boneyarders like Brevers at outside linebacker because of his speed. Maybe he will be part of the answer going forward but we need more speed, size and strength everywhere on the field. Our two corners have only average speed, average size and average strength. They are suppose to be the strength of our defense but neither one of them have played well this year.

In time, I'm hopeful that our defense will get better as our younger players get more experience. However, unless we are playing during a old fashion New England snow storm , I doubt very much that we are going to witness those 17 to 13 wins of the Edsall's glory years ever again.

At least now we have a real OC at UConn so that we can stay competitive in these games. However, we all should buckle up and get ready for some high scoring games this year. We may be witnessing some combined triple digits scores before the season is over.
Thanks for the history lesson...Ill give you a newsflash..I watch college football when ever it is on if I'm not at the Rent. Give me a top 10 team that strictly runs the 3-3-5. Every team I see runs the 4-3. As for pass coverage..these guys keep looking at each other after big plays ..the 5th FB to me has confused these kids to no end. You have your opinion and I'm gonna keep mine. I will say this Crocker better figure it out and figure it out quick because giving up 41 pts and 500+ yds of offense to a team like ECU is not going to keep fans in the Rent. As for the OC comment..I haven't seen the Oline block better in a LONG time. You are right on that one about Lashlee.

Reaction Score
Yeah the guy who's running QB and spread Offense out up 450+ yards of offense each game. This is about defense and the 3-4-5 cost Rich Rod his job at michigan and has him on the warm seat at Arizona

WVU was in the top 15 in total defense in 2005 and 2007. Casteel didn't join RichRod in Michigan.

Reaction Score
WVU was in the top 15 in total defense in 2005 and 2007. Casteel didn't join RichRod in Michigan.
Yeah I know and he didn't last long with him at Michigan. You can back Crocker and his bs 3-3-5 all you want..what I saw yesterday was atrocious...I can only imagine what weeks 1 and 2 looked like since I couldn't go to the game or watch the Va game on tv.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Couple of things to put into perspective:

1. As Al McGuire said- the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores.

2. Ask any coach if teams win by coaching or talent, they will tell you talent. You can only coach so much and then talent takes over. Fiasco made the team stronger because that was all he could control. Problem was he was taking RKGs that were FCS level talent. Give Edsall and Crocker a chance.

Finally, the first 2 games at the Rent have been exciting offensively and close games. I will go see that over the overmatched crap we have put out as a program the last 6 years. Man- we put up 596 yards in 1 game. 38 points. Other than the Memphis game, we haven't seen that output in a long time. Look at the positives as well, not just the negatives.

Reaction Score
T Every team I see runs the 4-3.

???? I'd say it's a fairly even split between a 3-4 and 4-2-5/4-3.

Don Brown, of all people, has incorporated 3-3-5 sets into his defense at Michigan, by the way. They used the set pretty extensively vs. Florida.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of course it cost him his job. You can't win if you get penalized for playing 12 men on every play!
True but on paper there aren't many gaps for the offense to attack.

Reaction Score
ECU average offense 374 ypg for 1st 3 games, one against FCS and 2 of 3 at home. ECU total offense against UConn 596 yards. In all 3 games I see consistent ability of opponents to get almost optimal (not just good or great) player advantage at point of attack. Lot of missed tackles I see for UConn are one on one or UConn player standing flat footed trying to hit a moving offensive player. Other teams miss tackles but have enough defenders in area so that the 2nd or 3rd defender closes the deal.

Where is the attacking defense that was constantly noted before the season? This is bad defensive play calling ( I'm talking about the specific setup on each play). Where are the 7-8 guys near LOS with drop backs and rushes to confuse the QB.

UConn has given up points by qtr of 31-40-21-7. Only Virginia had enough lead in 4th qtr to take foot off gas. Why so many points given up in 1st half when that is the time players are freshest and defensive game plan should be at its best (this is what you spent all week planning on doing and instructing players what to do)? I see this as bad coaching 1st half and players playing with heart/stamina 2nd half and coaches having to give up/adjust "game plan" in 2nd half as it was not working. No give up in players. If lot of points late in game (14 of 17 in 3rd qtr were in 1st 5 minutes of 3rd qtr against ECU so other than this only 2 other td's) would have indicated to me give up by defensive players.

Defense is 125th or so out of 130 per stats. Is coaching top 10 or top 50 and players so bad still 125th? Not buying it. Coaches are putting players in position to fail on almost every single play. 3-3-5 line up on 3rd and 1/2 yard and 3rd and 2; REALLY that's what you got in your bag of tricks?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Couple of things to put into perspective:

1. As Al McGuire said- the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores.

2. Ask any coach if teams win by coaching or talent, they will tell you talent. You can only coach so much and then talent takes over. Fiasco made the team stronger because that was all he could control. Problem was he was taking RKGs that were FCS level talent. Give Edsall and Crocker a chance.

Finally, the first 2 games at the Rent have been exciting offensively and close games. I will go see that over the overmatched crap we have put out as a program the last 6 years. Man- we put up 596 yards in 1 game. 38 points. Other than the Memphis game, we haven't seen that output in a long time. Look at the positives as well, not just the negatives.
I look at it as: Freshman Obi didn’t become OBI without his trial by fire and years of experience. And I take some solace that Edsall has a proven record of coaching kids up. Unfortunately people aren’t happy unless there’s immediate results, and there are no quick fixes right now. We need our pieces to gain experience and grow to play at a faster pace. We need to hit a few recruiting home runs. But all that will take time.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately people aren’t happy unless there’s immediate results, and there are no quick fixes right now.
Microwave.jpg

C

Chief00

I agree both the talent and scheme are problems - I am uncertain, which is the primary problem against an opponent like ECU.

Reaction Score
???? I'd say it's a fairly even split between a 3-4 and 4-2-5/4-3.

Don Brown, of all people, has incorporated 3-3-5 sets into his defense at Michigan, by the way. They used the set pretty extensively vs. Florida.
You realize you are reinforcing my point...who uses the 3-3-5 exclusively in the top 10? Don Brown is a multiple set guy who's base is 4 down lineman...even Diaco used a multiple D with the 3-4 being his base D. Crocker..3-3-5 all day long...like trying to jam a square of into a round hole.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom