The defensive scheme is garbage. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The defensive scheme is garbage.

C

Chief00

That’s the second or third time you’ve called Mensah a Mensch in the past 24 hours. Do you use that word often/auto-correct? ;):D

A typo/misspelling of an unfamiliar name - no grand internet conspiracy LOL

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
This is an example of why football is hard to follow for the casual fan. Note these posts were made minutes apart.

My assessment is the talent has improved on offense,

The talent hasn’t changed on the offensive side

Should we go back to the Diaco clinics for fans like @Chief00 ? I think he'd get mucho out of it.

1667x1107

C

Chief00

What about the tip about the buying the program. Do you think that will help you?
I have given up trying to coach you up - it’s just too hopeless, therefore for the first time I am putting someone on ignore. Can’t waste my time on hopeless.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
A typo/misspelling of an unfamiliar name - no grand internet conspiracy LOL

Very common with the casual fan. Don't beat yourself up over it. We neeed you supporting UConn

C

Chief00

This is an example of why football is hard to follow for the casual fan. Note these posts were made minutes

Should we go back to the Diaco clinics for fans like @Chief00 ? I think he'd get mucho out of it.

1667x1107
Rocket scientist read the full post and you would not be so perpetually confused. I said I thought they had some more talent this year but others have made a strong case that’s not correct with two stars leaving.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
Rocket scientist read the full post and you would not be so perpetually confused. I said I thought they had some more talent this year but others have made a strong case that’s not correct with two stars leaving.

If you are stilll responding to me, I think you have having trouble executing the ignore button. But don't give up on it or the team.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
My assessment is the talent has improved on offense, but many could make a reverse case as was done in this thread. So I considered it even big picture after sorting through Knappe and Davis.

I don't think you meant Davis. Casual fans get confused all the time but Davis left the program 2 years ago. Its a big roster.

Reaction Score
Question is how do we get the back end of our D to tackle better????

SMU is gonna put up a 70 spot on us with no problem next week. I hate to admit it, but right now, looks like a reality. We suck back there. Horrible.
Straight up swiss chees on 3rd down too View attachment 25010
You know the difference between us and Swiss Cheese? Answ: Swiss Cheese has stuff between the holes.

Reaction Score
In the words
whatever you say, jesus freak
in the words of you, Millenials..."You hurt my Feelings"...now I'm going to run around and shout to everyone how important I am and why you are Bad!

Reaction Score
In the words

in the words of you, Millenials..."You hurt my Feelings"...now I'm going to run around and shout to everyone how important I am and why you are Bad!
meet me in the 'pool if you want to get into it. I'm playing nice here upon medic's request

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Of course, the point is with relatively the same or worse talent - the offense is many magnitudes better, so coaching matters. I could argue the talent with Mensch, Donaldson and Dixon etc - but that’s not the point - big picture it’s relatively similar.

Only a casual fan would fail to understand that I was furthering your point, not opposing it... ;)

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
Only a casual fan would fail to understand that I was furthering your point, not opposing it... ;)

@Chief00 says that losing Davis at WR was a big loss from last year. I think Donaldson will be more productive this year.

What do you think?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
@Chief00 says that losing Davis at WR was a big loss from last year. I think Donaldson will be more productive this year.

What do you think?

Are you referring to Geremy Davis? If so, um....not last year, my friend. I think you mean Noel Thomas.

Donaldson could have a great year, but he's going to need to do a lot more before he has Noel Thomas type numbers. Last year, Thomas had 100 catches for almost 1,200 yards. Let's hope Donaldson gets there...

EDIT: I just saw your previous post. You have to cut Chief some slack. He's only a casual fan after all...

C

Chief00

What do you think?
Thomas in Lashlee’s offense is different than Thomas in Diaco’s offense.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score

Right, but you said Davis. It's easy for a casual fan to make a mistake like that.

Its a big roster.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
Are you referring to Geremy Davis? If so, um....not last year, my friend. I think you mean Noel Thomas.

Donaldson could have a great year, but he's going to need to do a lot more before he has Noel Thomas type numbers. Last year, Thomas had 100 catches for almost 1,200 yards. Let's hope Donaldson gets there...

EDIT: I just saw your previous post. You have to cut Chief some slack. He's only a casual fan after all...

You are right.

Just because he doesn't know who is on the team doesn't mean we don't need fans like @Chief00 to attend the games and support the teams.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score

Right.

But grammar tip - if you mean Noel Thomas, you shouldn't type in D-a-v-i-s.

It can make some of us think you are talking about Geremy Davis and are too much of a casual fan to know he wasn't on the team last year.

Reaction Score
96 James Atkins 6-5/266 Defensive Line RS JR (INJURED)
95 Noel Brouse 6-5/265 Defensive Line RS FR (DNP)
*15 Luke Carrezola 6-3/255 Defensive Line SR
*93 Folorunso Fatukasi 6-4/303 Defensive Line RS SR
*88 Connor Freeborn 6-5/255 Defensive Line RS SO
46 AJ Garson 6-7/237 Defensive Line RS FR (DNP)
*50 Sheriden Lawley 6-4/290 Defensive Line RS JR
59 Andrew Migliaccio 6-3/266 Defensive Line RS FR (DNP)
*94 Kevin Murphy 6-1/280 Defensive Line RS SO
58 Philippe Okounam 6-5/290 Defensive Line RS SO (INJURED)
*57 Cole Ormsby 6-3/264 Defensive Line RS SR
92 Carlton Steer 6-2/255 Defensive Line JR (DNP)
*52 Caleb Thomas 6-0/289 Defensive Line FR

Is it me or are we severely underweight here?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Is it me or are we severely underweight here?
Yes and too many guys with skinny legs. This is area Diaco screwed us the most. Too many TE and too tall OLBs which have been converted to Dlineman simply to balance the roster.

I watched some of Connor Freeborn's snaps this week. He didn't get blown out of there, but I don't think he will get to Luke's level and Luke's level is solid (but we need more).

I think (and I hope) that three of the six guys rotating on the DL for 2018 are not on the roster yet. We could use a 5th year senior or juco here.

Reaction Score
We have no speed off the edge with either our DEs or LBs.........NONE!

We spent two regimes with the stupid twins and Crazy Bob recruiting prototypes. Unfortunately, most of them can't run a lick. Edsall will address this, but it will take some time.

I'm still shocked that Edsall let the D get this bad under Crocker. We may be struggling with personnel, but we're not dead last in talent. Either Crocker, the scheme or both are playing a significant part of becoming one of the very worst defenses in college football.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, as much as a revelation as it has been, the no huddle offense just exacerbates the defensive struggles whenever they they go 3 and out - because the defense never gets a chance to catch their wind and at this stage it would be best if we could just keep them off the field as much as possible with long sustained ball controlling drives. It's going to take time for the D to get up to speed on this system, but it has to improve or once we get a lead RE may have to tell the O to take their foot off the gas just to keep the opponent's O from getting the ball.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We have no speed off the edge with either our DEs or LBs....NONE!

We spent two regimes with the stupid twins and Crazy Bob recruiting prototypes. Unfortunately, most of them can't run a lick. Edsall will address this, but it will take some time.

I'm still shocked that Edsall let the D get this bad under Crocker. We may be struggling with personnel, but we're not dead last in talent. Either Crocker, the scheme or both are playing a significant part of becoming one of the very worst defenses in college football.
I am hoping TJ Gardner (currently red shirting) and Eli Thomas can give us the boost we need at LB next year. More speed and explosion. Considering Diggs and Joseph will be gone, there will be opportunity. And Hunter Webb has the potential to play like Graham Stewart - let's see how that senior tape looks in November.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
A lot of beef on the OLine and not enough on the Dline. So...getting back to the 335 discussion and not wanting to start a snark fight I put forth the idea of the 425 because we have little at the point of attack. If we cannot stop the run, we will constantly see ourselves in 2 and short and 3rd and short situations which only exacerbates our current shredibilty in the 335. I get the idea that we need to give it time. I'm assuming Crockers 335 is a read and react setup, with the mike calling signals for the front and a safety calling coverages? Because pressure at the point of attack has to come from outside the front 3 there has to be a strong understanding from the defensive play callers on what the offense is going to try to do and how to get bodies into the right gaps. That's a pretty high level of sophistication, IMO. I can see where you need to have a high level of intelligence, a high level of trust that the guy next to you will be where he is supposed to be and a high level of athleticism to react to any offensive variances. I also see that the 335 is a bend but don't break D (necessary against the high powered O that we see) and hopefully you have the ball hawks in the backfield to force TOs.

On a related note, as a football purist (and not the type of purist that says teams have to run the same bland offenses and defenses but a purist in the sense that for every new offense or defense that arises, adjustments are made to target and take advantage of the inherent weaknesses in those schemes) I'd like to see coaches scheme against the prevalent high powered offenses we see today. I don't see the 335 (unless its played with superior defenders) being the kind of defense that could force schools away from playing the spread, I see the 335 an attempt to mitigate the damage, which is OK, don't get me wrong. The idea is to win games, of course.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom