The defensive scheme is garbage. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

The defensive scheme is garbage.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, as much as a revelation as it has been, the no huddle offense just exacerbates the defensive struggles whenever they they go 3 and out - because the defense never gets a chance to catch their wind and at this stage it would be best if we could just keep them off the field as much as possible with long sustained ball controlling drives. It's going to take time for the D to get up to speed on this system, but it has to improve or once we get a lead RE may have to tell the O to take their foot off the gas just to keep the opponent's O from getting the ball.

Its not just wind but also time for coaching and adjustments.

We didn't really seem to put up any resistance until the D re-grouped at halftime.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, as much as a revelation as it has been, the no huddle offense just exacerbates the defensive struggles whenever they they go 3 and out - because the defense never gets a chance to catch their wind and at this stage it would be best if we could just keep them off the field as much as possible with long sustained ball controlling drives. It's going to take time for the D to get up to speed on this system, but it has to improve or once we get a lead RE may have to tell the O to take their foot off the gas just to keep the opponent's O from getting the ball.

From where I sat at the game, it looked like this is what ECU did in the 4th quarter and it let us back into the game. You almost want to stay uptempo and step on the opponents throat.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
From where I sat at the game, it looked like this is what ECU did in the 4th quarter and it let us back into the game. You almost want to stay uptempo and step on the opponents throat.

They stopped throwing the ball (and getting TD's).

If the opponents hasn't shown they can stop your full offense (see the KY NC game), why make adjustments? With a big lead, its ok to trade scores.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A lot of beef on the OLine and not enough on the Dline. So...getting back to the 335 discussion and not wanting to start a snark fight I put forth the idea of the 425 because we have little at the point of attack. If we cannot stop the run, we will constantly see ourselves in 2 and short and 3rd and short situations which only exacerbates our current shredibilty in the 335. I get the idea that we need to give it time. I'm assuming Crockers 335 is a read and react setup, with the mike calling signals for the front and a safety calling coverages? Because pressure at the point of attack has to come from outside the front 3 there has to be a strong understanding from the defensive play callers on what the offense is going to try to do and how to get bodies into the right gaps. That's a pretty high level of sophistication, IMO. I can see where you need to have a high level of intelligence, a high level of trust that the guy next to you will be where he is supposed to be and a high level of athleticism to react to any offensive variances. I also see that the 335 is a bend but don't break D (necessary against the high powered O that we see) and hopefully you have the ball hawks in the backfield to force TOs.

On a related note, as a football purist (and not the type of purist that says teams have to run the same bland offenses and defenses but a purist in the sense that for every new offense or defense that arises, adjustments are made to target and take advantage of the inherent weaknesses in those schemes) I'd like to see coaches scheme against the prevalent high powered offenses we see today. I don't see the 335 (unless its played with superior defenders) being the kind of defense that could force schools away from playing the spread, I see the 335 an attempt to mitigate the damage, which is OK, don't get me wrong. The idea is to win games, of course.

Hey bottomline is this 3-3-5 system is not generating pressure, not causing pass deflections at the line of scrimmage, almost never shuts down a throwing lane and has our DBs playing on their heels. Opposing Qbs have too much room to make the right throw. They have to make some changes to personnel (Herring-Wilson for Bell, can we get Swann out there?) and they have to mix the twists, stunts and other D-line tricks to creating blitzing lanes. They are not creating the gaps to allow a DB or LB to get the QB. I suppose I am stating the obvious here. I don't care how they do it (3-3-5 something else), just start doing it.

Reaction Score
I think we need another big dt but not sure about the ends. The nose tackle needs to be a run stopper the ends are the pass rushers and outside contain guys so are not huge. If you look at SanDiego State who plays a very similar system, their ends are 255 and 265 and the nose guard is 285. To me the biggest issue is speed. You are asking them to cover a lot of territory and huge slow footed guys can't do that. But I kind of agree with exit4 that some of these guys look skinny. Not so much the weight as how they carry it.

Reaction Score
They stopped throwing the ball (and getting TD's).

If the opponents hasn't shown they can stop your full offense (see the KY NC game), why make adjustments? With a big lead, its ok to trade scores.

Somehow their coach thought the best way to win was to run clock. Objectively, the best way to win would have been to keep scoring until we waved the white flag.

C

Chief00

We have no speed off the edge with either our DEs or LBs....NONE!

We spent two regimes with the stupid twins and Crazy Bob recruiting prototypes. Unfortunately, most of them can't run a lick. Edsall will address this, but it will take some time.

I'm still shocked that Edsall let the D get this bad under Crocker. We may be struggling with personnel, but we're not dead last in talent. Either Crocker, the scheme or both are playing a significant part of becoming one of the very worst defenses in college football.

Edsall wanted to play the CEO role and empower the Coordinators. This strategy is working great with Lashlee but not so well with Crocker.

Reaction Score
The Cowboys went to a 3-2-6 with not a lot of good linemen, hurt linebackers and very young secondary in the second half of Monday nights game. The prior week Their d got crushed in different more traditional alignments and showed the same weaknesses that UConn has as far as skill and depth comparatively. When they switched to 326 they had no issue harassing the QB with 3 man rush, stopping the run, and covering their guys. Made them look like a real defense in that alignment, so you can't really say the scheme does not work against good competition

Reaction Score
My prediction is we will see a change in D scheme vs SMU. They've been studying the tape, licking their chops in anticipation. I see us deciding to employ more press man to man along with stunts and safety blitzes. I see us confusing and upsetting the Mustangs.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Defensive pressure on a qb is brought different ways. Blitzing is one and another is good coverage which allows the time for the DL to get to the QB. We have to bring someone to get pressure because the 3 down lineman can't do it and we are too discombobulated in the back to create coverage sacks. Crocker will need to pick his poison.

Reaction Score
We can never take our foot off the gas on offense. Trade scores or build the lead. Protecting a lead never works and I'm convinced it takes the offense out of rhythm for the next game too. Just a horrible idea. Holding back on O is for the last 4 minutes of the game with a 24 point plus lead and even then, you should consider your opponent before doing so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom