The criminally underrated | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The criminally underrated

Reaction Score
Shawn Kemp is a name I hardly ever hear. I wouldn't say he was underrated but I remember watching that team with Gary Payton. Nomar posted a video interviewing Xaver McDaniel in the Michael Jordan GOAT thread and X mentions Shawn Kemp. The story was Larry Legend told Shawn Kemp that Larry was the best player to come out of Indiana and shot a 3 pointer in his face. Geez, this whole team might be underrated.

1995-96
Gary Payton 19.3, 7.5 asst
Detlef Schrempf 17.1, 40.8% 3 pt
Hersey Hawkins 15.6
Shawn Kemp 19.6, 11.4 rebounds
Sam Perkins 11.8

Not sure if you’re being facetious (because I’ve watched about a thousand videos about Bird’s trash talking) but assuming your aren’t: yes, he did.

X-Man tells a great story but he did it multiple times.

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/n...s-the-great-larry-bird-was-jusuthless-bastard

Reaction Score
Kevin Mcreynolds. Absolutely no one mentions him but he was a good left fielder that shouldve won a gold glove and put up numbers at the plate year after year and could steal a base even though he wasnt very fast. Great baseball player for the Padres and Mets.

Reaction Score
Vijay Singh
I don't know if he is underrated. I followed golf more closely for a while and during that time, Vijay was always on the leader board. He never seemed to be talked about as much as everyone else.

Reaction Score
Vijay Singh
I don't know if he is underrated. I followed golf more closely for a while and during that time, Vijay was always on the leader board. He never seemed to be talked about as much as everyone else.
Singh was a known cheater who had a weird and unlikeable personality. I think the tour was hoping he would just go away.

But at his peak he was fantastic. Probably if he were more marketable, he would have got more hype.

A great example for this discussion!

Reaction Score
Vijay Singh
If you’re talking golf, it’s going back a ways but I’d say Billy Casper, Greg Norman, Gene Littler, and Fairfield CT’s Julius Boros were all underrated.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Vijay Singh

In tennis, Vijay Armitraj was underrated. His highest ranking was 18, but he won 15 tournaments.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
'I think they both became actors. Vijay was great in a Bond film.

Edit: yes, his brother was a player, but his highest rank was around 200. He was much more successful as an actor.

Wasn’t thinking of Ashok, was thinking of Anand Amitraj. IIRC Anand teamed up with Vijay for some noise in the majors playing doubles together. His highest ranking in singles was definitely under 100, and won some tournaments IIRC.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Kevin Mcreynolds. Absolutely no one mentions him but he was a good left fielder that shouldve won a gold glove and put up numbers at the plate year after year and could steal a base even though he wasnt very fast. Great baseball player for the Padres and Mets.
If you ever watched "Once Upon a Time in Queens", the final episode has a quote, I think from Strawberry, but maybe Mookie, that Reynolds was a poor fit with Mets because "he didn't love baseball".

And given the choice between McReynolds and the guy he was traded for, I'll go with Kevin Mitchell as underrated. How many actual baseball fans remember than Mitchell won an MVP with the Giants. As that same OUATIQ series points out, Cashen was kinda racist and thought Mitchell was a bad influence on Gooden and Straw, even though Mitchell was remarkably clean living compared to those two.

Reaction Score
If you ever watched "Once Upon a Time in Queens", the final episode has a quote, I think from Strawberry, but maybe Mookie, that Reynolds was a poor fit with Mets because "he didn't love baseball".

And given the choice between McReynolds and the guy he was traded for, I'll go with Kevin Mitchell as underrated. How many actual baseball fans remember than Mitchell won an MVP with the Giants. As that same OUATIQ series points out, Cashen was kinda racist and thought Mitchell was a bad influence on Gooden and Straw, even though Mitchell was remarkably clean living compared to those two.
Had nothing to do with the topic but from 87-91 they put up virtually the same numbers with the exception of that one big MVP season Mitchell had overall McReynolds was the more consistent better player.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wasn’t thinking of Ashok, was thinking of Anand Amitraj. IIRC Anand teamed up with Vijay for some noise in the majors playing doubles together. His highest ranking in singles was definitely under 100, and won some tournaments IIRC.
The Flying Amritraj Brothers as Bud Collins used to say.

Reaction Score
The Flying Amritraj Brothers as Bud Collins used to say.
Back in the 70’s and 80’s Bud Collins and Donald Dell, after Wimbledon concluded, would broadcast American satellite tennis tournaments on PBS leading up to the US Open. Dell and Collins did the play by play, and Barry Mackay did the courtside stuff. Always enjoyed listening to their insight and commentary. I remember Collins referring to Jimmy Connors as “the brash basher”, Harold Solomon and Eddie Dibbs as the “bagel twins”.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thurman Munson who should have been nominated for the Baseball Hall Of Fame but he died in a plane crash. He was well into his career and had numbers essentially similarly to Carlton Fisk ... He was in his 11th season when he died and had won Rookie of the Year, MVP, multiple Golden Glove awards as well as Sporting News Player of the Year and he doesn't even get a sniff of the Hall of Fame ... Another Yankee who had a great career was Don Mattingly whose lifetime statistics are quite similar to Kirby Puckett and both their careers ended due to health issues ... Puckett lost vision in one eye while Mattingly's back issues precipitated his premature retirement ... he won multiple Golden Glove awards, was the 1985 MVP along with Sporting News Player of the Year, multiple Silver Slugger awards, the Lou Gehrig Memorial Award and this year Todd Helton is going into the Hall of Fame with virtually the same statistics with one less All Star appearance, 6 less Golden Gloves, one more Silver Slugger and he didn't win an MVP like Mattingly ... his lifetime average is slightly better at .316 to Mattingly's .307, with 43 doubles compared to Mattingly's 40, 7 more home runs per year and 1 more RBI a year ... the stats are almost identical and yet Mattingly never got a sniff despite being a better defensive player who might have saved more games, just with his glove ... Sad about the media bias towards most Yankee ballplayers

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Thurman Munson who should have been nominated for the Baseball Hall Of Fame but he died in a plane crash. He was well into his career and had numbers essentially similarly to Carlton Fisk ... He was in his 11th season when he died and had won Rookie of the Year, MVP, multiple Golden Glove awards as well as Sporting News Player of the Year and he doesn't even get a sniff of the Hall of Fame ... Another Yankee who had a great career was Don Mattingly whose lifetime statistics are quite similar to Kirby Puckett and both their careers ended due to health issues ... Puckett lost vision in one eye while Mattingly's back issues precipitated his premature retirement ... he won multiple Golden Glove awards, was the 1985 MVP along with Sporting News Player of the Year, multiple Silver Slugger awards, the Lou Gehrig Memorial Award and this year Todd Helton is going into the Hall of Fame with virtually the same statistics with one less All Star appearance, 6 less Golden Gloves, one more Silver Slugger and he didn't win an MVP like Mattingly ... his lifetime average is slightly better at .316 to Mattingly's .307, with 43 doubles compared to Mattingly's 40, 7 more home runs per year and 1 more RBI a year ... the stats are almost identical and yet Mattingly never got a sniff despite being a better defensive player who might have saved more games, just with his glove ... Sad about the media bias towards most Yankee ballplayers
There are cases to be made for both based on lesser players who were voted in, but they're not strong cases statistically for either.

In fact, a solid argument could be made that Mattingly is only fifth most deserving of HoF consideration among just 1st basemen who played in NY post-1980.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 04.13.02.jpg

Munson has a better case, especially if Yadier Molina or Buster Posey get in. Looking at the top 5 contemporary catchers not yet in HoF, Munson's case is decent.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 04.36.26.jpg

But the real reason I wanted to reply to your post was the absurd last line, which simply confirms once again my opinion of Yankee fans as the most whiny, spoiled, entitled community in all of sports.

Reaction Score
There are cases to be made for both based on lesser players who were voted in, but they're not strong cases statistically for either.

In fact, a solid argument could be made that Mattingly is only fifth most deserving of HoF consideration among just 1st basemen who played in NY post-1980.

View attachment 102385

Munson has a better case, especially if Yadier Molina or Buster Posey get in. Looking at the top 5 contemporary catchers not yet in HoF, Munson's case is decent.

View attachment 102384

But the real reason I wanted to reply to your post was the absurd last line, which simply confirms once again my opinion of Yankee fans as the most whiny, spoiled, entitled community in all of sports.
……and your favorite MLB team is?

Reaction Score

View attachment 102385

View attachment 102384

Out of all of these the Mark Texeira stats are the most eye opening. I've heard the Mattingly argument from most Yankee fans, and I usually side with them. But put his numbers next to others and it's not as obvious. Good work.
Also, in regards to the last line, I've heard many say that Rizzuto wouldn't have gotten in WITHOUT the pinstripes.

Reaction Score
Much respect for Thurman Munson, but LOL comparing him to Carlton Fisk.

LOL comparing Mattingly--a lefty hitting half his at bats in short-porch Yankee Stadium--to Kirby Puckett, who had 25% more offensive WAR and much greater defensive value.

And extra giggles for citing gold gloves--an award voted on by the media--won at first base by a player with negative defensive value, in the very same comment where you complain about the media bias against the Yankees.

It is amazing the contortions that Yankee fans will go through to cast themselves as underdogs/victims, all while their team gets every break imaginable and is constantly féllated by the media.

Anyway, kudos to you for breaking new ground. When are you coming with the HOF case for Bernie Williams?

Reaction Score
Much respect for Thurman Munson, but LOL comparing him to Carlton Fisk.

LOL comparing Mattingly--a lefty hitting half his at bats in short-porch Yankee Stadium--to Kirby Puckett, who had 25% more offensive WAR and much greater defensive value.

And extra giggles for citing gold gloves--an award voted on by the media--won at first base by a player with negative defensive value, in the very same comment where you complain about the media bias against the Yankees.

It is amazing the contortions that Yankee fans will go through to cast themselves as underdogs/victims, all while their team gets every break imaginable and is constantly féllated by the media.

Anyway, kudos to you for breaking new ground. When are you coming with the HOF case for Bernie Williams?
Bucky Dent too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom