The criminally underrated | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The criminally underrated

Reaction Score
How many MVP titles to Fisk get? At the time of his death, their stats
Doubling down, beautiful. Only a true Yankee fan would say Munson's career was comparable to Fisk's.

Munson was a great player. Peak value very close to Fisk's, though Fisk was a hair better. But Munson's career was cut short before he could accumulate HOF numbers. And there's no guarantee he would have done that.

Sad, but it's the Hall of Fame not the Hall of What-Might-Have-Been. Otherwise we'd have people making cases for Herb Score and Doc Gooden.

I think your real beef is not with the HOF voters, but with the capricious Gods of fate that took Munson's life too soon. Your frustration is understandable.

Reaction Score
As a Sox fan, I liked Mattingly. He was a cooler. Then he quits and the Yanks go on a title run.
I feel for Buzzy in the case of Munson. Through 1979 he really was comparable to Fisk. Neither were Hall of Famers at that point.

Then Munson died tragically while Fisk played another 13 years at a high level. It's unfair, but the HOF got it right.

But Buzzy's argument for Mattingly is full-on comical. In fact, the Yankees playing such a light-hitting first baseman was probably a big reason for their stinking up the league in the 80's and early 90's.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I feel for Buzzy in the case of Munson. Through 1979 he really was comparable to Fisk. Neither were Hall of Famers at that point.
Munson and Fisk were a push when Munson died. I would never say that out loud back then but that's the way it was.

Reaction Score
Doubling down, beautiful. Only a true Yankee fan would say Munson's career was comparable to Fisk's.

Munson was a great player. Peak value very close to Fisk's, though Fisk was a hair better. But Munson's career was cut short before he could accumulate HOF numbers. And there's no guarantee he would have done that.

Sad, but it's the Hall of Fame not the Hall of What-Might-Have-Been. Otherwise we'd have people making cases for Herb Score and Doc Gooden.

I think your real beef is not with the HOF voters, but with the capricious Gods of fate that took Munson's life too soon. Your frustration is understandable.
Munson- MVP, 7 time all-star, 3 gold gloves, rookie of the year, 2 world series championships in 11 seasons

Fisk- 11 time all-star, 1 gold glove, 3 silver slugger, rookie of the year in 24 seasons

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom