The Courant Suggests 8 Possible Transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Courant Suggests 8 Possible Transfers

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ok Oldude which one's do YOU like, and why??? Value your analysis.
Westbrook and Cooks. Westbrook and Walker were the two top players in their class. Westbrook may actually have more upside than Megan. All she needs is the right coaching staff to bring it out. Cooks impressed the hell out of me as a freshman when UConn played at MSU two years ago. The Huskies beat the Spartans pretty handily on that day, but Cooks was the best player on the court for MSU imo. At 6’4” she could run the court, rebound, defend, handle the ball and shoot the 3. Again, with the right coaching staff, Cooks could be a dominant front court player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure why people are so down on Stacy. It simply is what it is - a list of 5 kids who entered the transfer portal who might be able to give UCONN some help down the road and who are pretty good players.

The UCONN staff has been very tight lipped about recruits. Usually we get some insight as to "how the staff is feeling" about one recruit or another (ie. confident, or not so much), but so far nothing. So if we're not hearing much of anything, not sure that Stacy or anyone else would either.

Sure the article is nothing new, but it gives us something to talk/think about...

Reaction Score
The good thing about the Westbrook situation is the person who 1st started the Westbrook interest in UConn stuff, said if her family can get legal help she should be eligible. I’m not sure how all this works, but maybe if a player goes beyond just the school for help the NCAA will be more willing to give in.

Reaction Score
The good thing about the Westbrook situation is the person who 1st started the Westbrook interest in UConn stuff, said if her family can get legal help she should be eligible. I’m not sure how all this works, but maybe if a player goes beyond just the school for help the NCAA will be more willing to give in.
Or, because their rules (policies) are so vague and their decisions inconsistent, the NCAA fears a lawsuit or an injunction.

Reaction Score
Westbrook and Cooks. Westbrook and Walker were the two top players in their class. Westbrook may actually have more upside than Megan. All she needs is the right coaching staff to bring it out. Cooks impressed the hell out of me as a freshman when UConn played at MSU two years ago. The Huskies beat the Spartans pretty handily on that day, but Cooks was the best player on the court for MSU imo. At 6’4” she could run the court, rebound, defend, handle the ball and shoot the 3. Again, with the right coaching staff, Cooks could be a dominant front court player.
Cook, I like that she is 6 ft 4. I'm aware all 6' 4's are not the same. But your analysis makes Westerbrook and Cook seem better "fits". Thanks.

Reaction Score
Good question. If the article was by Adamec, you know he would have spoken with Geno before writing it. I don't know how wired Stacy is to inside info.
Wired or not. A phone call may have dropped a few names.

Reaction Score
A follow up if you will allow: How will, in your opinion, Westerbrook, Cook arrival at UConn impact the recruiting picture. Obviously, I know this requires a crystal ball but it will add a little to understand the dilemma facing an already overloaded decisions Geno must face.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A follow up if you will allow: How will, in your opinion, Westerbrook, Cook arrival at UConn impact the recruiting picture. Obviously, I know this requires a crystal ball but it will add a little to understand the dilemma facing an already overloaded decisions Geno must face.
There has already been some speculation on this question. I really don’t know the answer. Players want to play, they want to win and the very best want to go pro. Sometimes those goals can be in conflict.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually, a pretty crappy article for anyone who is an informed fan and misleading for anyone who is not.
If by “informed” you mean reads the Boneyard, you need to consider that most UConn fans have never heard of it. For them, the article is new and interesting. Kudos to Stacy for keeping the majority of fans up to date with the names of some possibilities. No need to be so dismissive. There’s not much going on and the Courant needed content

Reaction Score
Reporters gat a lot of info but most of it is off the record
That may be true but gettin information often the direct approach works wonders. If you don't ask, you'll never know. Too often some won't ask. Shame.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is one name on the list that suggests that Stacy may have talked to the UConn coaches. While 4 of the names are pretty well known former HS AA’s, Emmanuelle Tahane from Mizzou is not one of the “Usual Suspects.” Perhaps Ms Stacy knows more than we give her credit for?

Reaction Score
I know how to do it, just trying to be cute. Lately I haven’t needed to, though - Courant WBB coverage has really gone downhill.
I've stopped checking in with the Courant. They really don't cover much of the team. Ms Stacey always seems a day late and a dollar short, and in basketball, short is most often what you don't want to be.

Reaction Score
I've stopped checking in with the Courant. They really don't cover much of the team. Ms Stacey always seems a day late and a dollar short, and in basketball, short is most often what you don't want to be.
I would give her a break for informing people of potential transfer. I don't thinks she's in the information loop yet, though she might be in the future. Notice that Carl Adamec and Doug Bonjour have not commented about potential transfers. Either the information is being kept under wraps or there is not much information to be had.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would give her a break for informing people of potential transfer. I don't thinks she's in the information loop yet, though she might be in the future. Notice that Carl Adamec and Doug Bonjour have not commented about potential transfers. Either the information is being kept under wraps or there is not much information to be had.
You’ve highlighted a dilemma for print and electronic beat reporters. They need to continually provide content for their respective publications, but they don’t always have original content or inside information to report. So on occasion they produce “fluff” pieces to fill up space.

Reaction Score
Cook, I like that she is 6 ft 4. I'm aware all 6' 4's are not the same. But your analysis makes Westerbrook and Cook seem better "fits". Thanks.
Cooks at Mississippi State this weekend!! She will land there. Vic and Mulky have shown they can develop bigs!!

Reaction Score
You’ve highlighted a dilemma for print and electronic beat reporters. They need to continually provide content for their respective publications, but they don’t always have original content or inside information to report. So on occasion they produce “fluff” pieces to fill up space.
If we posted those names a she did, here on the BY not across Ct. Someone would tear us a brand new one --asking the questions we are asking (without saying)---what does Geno think about them. I agree with she has a requirement to fill newsprint but should she be held to a lower standard than a naive, ignorant, a Uninformed BY poster??
Unfortunately, at this between seasons and the need for decent players for Nov, the craving for information is almost addictive.

Reaction Score
Too bad Geno & Chris Daily have done such a bad job of developing Bigs, or maybe UConn might have a chance at getting one....:rolleyes:
You name the big's developed by CD, et al you'd be naming the best Big in UC history and maybe some exceptional WNBA's. \ll
KIAH, Steff and Jess Moore (both projects one more than the other).
I won't list all because these 3 define the development from Frosh to Seniors that can and will be made by CD if the desire is there. Once more, into the fray, Had Azura Stevens been delivered to Uconn as a Frosh she would have been exceptional as defender AND scorer. IMO Geno had have her "unlearn" some hurtful applications of the game.

Reaction Score
For the Kelli Stacey haters and the John Altavillia lovers, Stacey does a great job. Give her a chance to get her contacts and give her a minute. I think the Courant is doing a great job. I thought that was a great article about transfers but the fans of Altavilla ( I wasn’t for a whole lot of reasons will no go into it). Altavilla is gone for a whole lot of reasons. Let it go.

Reaction Score
For the Kelli Stacey haters and the John Altavillia lovers, Stacey does a great job. Give her a chance to get her contacts and give her a minute. I think the Courant is doing a great job. I thought that was a great article about transfers but the fans of Altavilla ( I wasn’t for a whole lot of reasons will no go into it). Altavilla is gone for a whole lot of reasons. Let it go.
I’m not a hater, but haven’t seen any actual reporting from her yet. @oldude said it’s sometimes necessary to fill up space with fluff when you don’t have any content. Not sure I agree it’s “necessary” - I don’t think I have any real need for fluff.

But, in any case, I AM sure I have no interest in reading a so-called journalist who’s, “all fluff, all the time.” Just no time for any more, “Five Things to Know About Katie Lou Samuelson” articles. At least gimme SOMETHIN’ every now & then...

Reaction Score
Reporters gat a lot of info but most of it is off the record
If it's off the record, they cannot print it because it is, well, off the record. So if a lot of it is information they can't print, it really doesn't count for much. However, if it's "not for attribution," which means the reporter can print it but cannot say where he/she got it, that's a different thing. Some people call that "on background." The distinction between "off the record" and "not for attribution" explains why reporters spend so much time chasing down a "not for attributoon" source who will confirm what they heard "off the record."

'Way back when, if a reporter accepted information"off the record," not only couild he/she not print it, they couldn't print it even if they heard it from another source unless they went back to the first source and were released from their no-print agreement. So it is no wonder that
1. Not many reporters back then were willing to accept off the record information; and
2. The rules got relaxed over the years so a reporter could use the information if he/she got it elsewhere.

In any case, every reporter who is worth his/her salt knows not to throw those terms around until and unless the reporter and the source agree as to exactly what they mean. A reporter who burns a source loses a source, and no one wants to do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom