OT: - The Coronavirus thread (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The Coronavirus thread (merged thread)

Which items you can not buy right now

• Mask

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Toilet Paper/ Face Tissue

Votes: 45 58.4%
  • Can Foods

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Hand Sanitizer

Votes: 53 68.8%
  • Rice/ Flour/ Instant Noodle

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Eggs

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Milk/ Cheese

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Meats/ Frozen foods

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bread/ Cookie/ Potato Chip

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Hilarious! Even a baby can figure out how to get the paper off the roll.
China is fighting toilet paper thieves with facial recognition software

The unorthodox method ensures that the public bathroom at the Temple of Heaven Park disposes only a small amount of paper — approximately two feet in length — for each person once every nine minutes, following an initial face scan to store the identity of the user. The change marks the first time in a decade the park has taken such drastic measures to reduce its chronic toilet paper theft.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen a roll of Tyler Phommachanh the last five trips to different stores. Nor bleach or Lysol.
I went to Home Depot and got the outside bleach and they had plenty of it stronger than household bleach ..no Lysol at all and Tyler Phommachanh in the morning when stores open

Reaction Score
For some odd reason distilled water is very hard to come by. Tastes awful, not sure what else it's used for besides cpap machines but apparently it's liquid treasure.
They had it at BJs last week... but local markets have been out. Just read wiki on making it, and its more complex than I thought.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Heartless meanie hardly begins to describe you. Your statistics on flu deaths are inflated as are your statistics on zero/mild symptoms. This is not the flu. It’s 3 times easier to catch and 10 to 20 times more likely to kill you.

The problem with all those asymptomatic people you talk about is that they transmit the disease to the most vulnerable people in our society: the old and the sick. So all the kids on spring break in FL and the revelers at Mardi Gras in New Orleans are likely responsible for the spread of the disease in FL & LA that will result in hundreds of deaths at nursing homes and senior centers.

So tell me. How many deaths are you OK with? We’re at 2,000 right now. You good with 5,000? 10,000? 80,000?
The CDC estimates that from 1 OCT 2019—21 MAR 2020 ( my math says that's less than 6 months) there were between 24,000—62,000 flu deaths. If anyone is in the high-risk category, they should ALL self-quarantine themselves—makes sense, don't you think? You do want them to be safe and protected, right?

Our economy has taken a vicious hit, and thousands of small businesses have closed their doors because of the government 'lock down.' And tens of thousands have lost their jobs because of those shutdowns, and many will not have the money to pay the rent or make their monthly mortgage payment; let alone the myriad other bills such as car payments, utilities, etc. I have friends in the restaurant industry who are now s*** out of luck because of alarmist governors who feel they must 'do something' no matter what the consequences. I don't want these people to bear the brunt of hostile, economic decisions. I don't want our economy to grind to a halt, and as a young and healthy individual, I want to return to work so that our economy remains strong and vibrant. But 2-3 more months of this would be economic suicide.

Please take a look at 'I, Pencil: the movie. The United States depends to a large extent on the transportation of materials (yes, please give a thumbs-up to a trucker the next time you see her driving her rig along the highway). Let's work together with a sane, rational plan and we will all be the better for it.

Reaction Score
Masks, hand sanitizers, aloe, alcohol, and thermometers.
Many items that I could not find 10 days ago, I have since found. Sometimes I may not get the exact type or brand.
Tylenol — my sister had oral surgery due to massive infection around two teeth. I had to round up acetametaphin from family. Have since bought enough for sister and to replace what I borrowed.
Bread - sister likes a certain brand of soft white bread that can’t be had.
Cannelloni beans! - dry or canned. Will try again in next couple of days to get those or navy beans.
Lysol laundry disinfectant- I have used for a long time when I wanted to do a cold wash but was concerned about bacteria.
Masks and gloves, of course. A friend gave me a washable mask.
Quick grits - another sister thing. I am an oatmeal eater.

Picking up a curbside order tomorrow. Will see how many substitutions or could not fill items there are.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The CDC estimates that from 1 OCT 2019—21 MAR 2020 ( my math says that's less than 6 months) there were between 24,000—62,000 flu deaths. If anyone is in the high-risk category, they should ALL self-quarantine themselves—makes sense, don't you think? You do want them to be safe and protected, right?

Our economy has taken a vicious hit, and thousands of small businesses have closed their doors because of the government 'lock down.' And tens of thousands have lost their jobs because of those shutdowns, and many will not have the money to pay the rent or make their monthly mortgage payment; let alone the myriad other bills such as car payments, utilities, etc. I have friends in the restaurant industry who are now s*** out of luck because of alarmist governors who feel they must 'do something' no matter what the consequences. I don't want these people to bear the brunt of hostile, economic decisions. I don't want our economy to grind to a halt, and as a young and healthy individual, I want to return to work so that our economy remains strong and vibrant. But 2-3 more months of this would be economic suicide.

Please take a look at 'I, Pencil: the movie. The United States depends to a large extent on the transportation of materials (yes, please give a thumbs-up to a trucker the next time you see her driving her rig along the highway). Let's work together with a sane, rational plan and we will all be the better for it.

Economic suicide is better than just plain suicide. I'll take the hit if it means saving lives. What your advocating could kill millions. Not 60K or 80K but MILLIONS because there is no vaccine. We've NEVER worked so hard to stop something from spreading and 500 people still died in the USA today (In ONE day). The flu numbers you quote are pretty much spread out all over the place geographically. Right now this disease has concentrations (Hot spots). Do you really think that the Hospital in New York saw 13 dead people in a 24 hour period during a regular flu season? The answer is no they didn't. You're living in a fantasy land if you think this will pass by going back to work and everyone returning to their regular routines in just a few weeks.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
1585455962315.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've been able to find most food items still, a bit random what is picked over from one trip to the grocery store to the next. Rice definitely is harder to come by. Down to basically instant rice. But I did score a 5 lb. bag of jasmine rice yesterday. I've never bought it in that quantity before, but it was that or nothing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
80-90% of people who test positive for the coronavirus exhibit zero/ mild symptoms. 80,000 Americans died from the flu last year. Sorry, but I don't want to be quarantined for another 2-3 months. And if it makes anyone feel better, let me add the comforting phrase, that my governor likes to use, 'we're all in this together! (yes, I'm just a heartless meanie).

Hope, I hear you and understand your point of view. Many of us here are seniors and don’t have an immune system that could successfully fight off a bout with this virus. Speaking for myself and my wife, if we have to remain quarantined for 2-3 more months to survive this pandemic, we will.

Thousands of people have died and many more will die. I don’t want to be one of them. November will come, and the start of basketball season. I want to be here when it does. I told my 30's something neighbor just today that because people in proximity to my age are dying for various reasons EVERYDAY, I don’t take tomorrow for granted anymore.

I’ve lost over 50% of my high school class to date. A family man at my church died this week due to prostate cancer. He was 13 years younger than me.

Yes, we are all in this together, but we will leave this earth the same way we came, alone. They don’t make caskets for two. Life is very precious, don’t take it for granted.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For some odd reason distilled water is very hard to come by. Tastes awful, not sure what else it's used for besides cpap machines but apparently it's liquid treasure.

I couldn’t find any either in 4 different stores. I finally found some at a drug store.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't want our economy to grind to a halt, and as a young and healthy individual, I want to return to work so that our economy remains strong and vibrant. But 2-3 more months of this would be economic suicide.

Even the young and vibrant can die from this junk and, as importantly, they can transmit it to others to continue the chain reaction. There is no good solution here. There is going to be pain any way you slice it but it'll be a zillion times worse if people don't stay away from one another. The virus isn't going away so until both drugs to fight it and a vaccine to prevent are created there is no getting back to normal. There is no economy if tens of thousands are sick and/or dying due to interacting with one another.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The number of deaths in the US doubled in two days (1000-2000), at that rate of increase, 2000 will die two days from now and 4000 in another two days and 8000 in another 2 days and 16000 in another two days - that would be 30,000 deaths in the next 10 days - not 6 months, not even 2 weeks.

No idea if we have slowed the spread yet, but that is a progression that would devastate our hospital system and rather than slow the rate, when you overwhelm the hospitals death rates will increase as they have in Italy Spain and France.

And what is already happening to NYC police officers is already happening in hospitals - 12% of NYPD is in quarantine, and they are not spending 12 hour shifts surrounded by covid19 patients.

And here are the current CDC numbers for ages 20 - 54:
  • CDC covers one huge 20-44 age range in its report, but here’s what we know about that group: 14.3 percent hospitalized, 2 percent in the ICU, and 0.1 percent fatality rate.
  • For people 45 to 54, the CDC reports 21.2 percent have been hospitalized, 5.4 percent were put in the ICU, and 0.5 percent fatality rate.
The hospitalization rate reaches 30+% over 75 with with 10+% ICU and 4+% death. An average rate of hospitalization for flu is 1.4% with a death rate of 0.1% and it is spread over 6 months.

Right now we have 100,000 known cases - if that 20-44 year age group was a national average, then we are currently at an additional 14,300 additional hospital beds needed and 2000 additional ICUs, and if we get to 1,000,000 cases we would need 143,000 hospital beds and 20,000 ICUs. But the case counts right now are heavily weighted to patients entering hospitals already because most of the testing is still being done with people at hospitals on arrival, so the current demand in NYC and New Orleans, and Detroit and Seattle is much higher than the 'average' numbers.

Hospitals during flu season do not create temporary morgues as they are at various hospitals already. This disease spreads faster than flu and is 10x more deadly than flu. That is the reason people are trying to slow the spread.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

You failed to answer my question. How many people have to die before you consider this problem serious enough to do something about? The Spanish Flu killed 675,000 Americans. Is that what you’re hoping for. But that epidemic was clearly worse in your value system because many of the people who died were young, hard working Americans.

This virus basically hits old people and those that have preexisting conditions the hardest, people that evidently are expendable to some for the sake of the economy. That would include many of the old folks here on the Boneyard. So let me quote Governor Cuomo and add a thought of my own. “My mother is not expendable. Your mother is not expendable.” None of my friends here on the Boneyard are expendable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my area it was difficult to find chicken for about 10 days but finally found some Friday.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We use distilled water in a portable humidifier during the winter. We typically use a gallon or two a week. It disappeared for a while but now seems to be available. No idea why it's in such demand.
The latest product to disappear from store aisles is bread flour and yeast.

Reaction Score
Hope - have you read any of the personal accounts of E.R. doctors or nurses? Do you understand what is happening in hospitals now? This isn't about CV9 only - also about every other need for hospital care. Like this is really bad timing for a broken bone or a heart attack or a bad asthma attack. Also maybe check out emergency responders. This is no way comparable to seasonal flu.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox