OT: - The Coronavirus thread (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Coronavirus thread (merged thread)

Which items you can not buy right now

• Mask

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Toilet Paper/ Face Tissue

Votes: 45 58.4%
  • Can Foods

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Hand Sanitizer

Votes: 53 68.8%
  • Rice/ Flour/ Instant Noodle

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Eggs

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Milk/ Cheese

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Meats/ Frozen foods

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bread/ Cookie/ Potato Chip

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Flu deaths vary greatly by year as each year the strains of flu viruses vary greatly and the efficacy of the flu vaccine also varies greatly. (They produce the 'recipe' for the vaccine around this time each year for the next year so they can produce the vaccine for deployment in Sept.)

The estimated deaths by flu in the US according to CDC range from 12,000 in 2011-12 to 61,000 in 2017-18 over the last 10 years. That 12,000 number was anomalous as the next lowest number was 23,000 and all other years were greater than 30,000. The current number range on the CDC web site is pretty useless for 2019-20 as it is just giving the range for 10 years and isn't as far as I can specific to this year - it just gives the last 10 year range throwing out the anomalous year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
paying no-never mind to the social distancing advisements issued by local, state and federal health officials.

Yeah, this is going to get countless numbers of people killed around the world. The state with the current slowest rate of growth of confirmed cases is Washington which went into distancing lockdown after being besieged early on.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ESPN's Doris Burke now symptom free after positive COVID-19 test -

ESPN NBA analyst Doris Burke has received a positive diagnosis for COVID-19 but says she is now symptom-free more than two weeks after her initial concerns of an illness.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A quick Arizona shopping report - I went in the first hour (there is no senior hour on Friday, darn it, Mon-Thurs only and I didn't know) and it was busy but not overly busy. 4 manned checkouts about 3 folks on each line, more or less 6 feet apart, but closer than that to the checkout person and bagger. I will admit I chose the cashier wearing a mask which they say protects us more than him.

Everyone was trying to say six feet apart, with varied success. Nothing available to sanitize your cart, normally there is I suspect they ran out of wipes.

I wore gloves because of the cart, decided not to use my reusable bags (they are old and won't wash up); I refuse to go crazy (remember, we are not too bad out here, it may get worse) but I did wipe down outsides of everything but some of the fresh stuff, which I will wash when I open it (I already do this).

I prefer not to go to the store at all, but needed milk and picked up a few additional items. I have only been going to pick up soda (drive-through) and food (pre-ordered pick=up). Unfortunately I had to go to the vet today with a sick dog and was not social distance from the vet or vet assistant (although - otherwise - they were sanitizing counters, chairs, knobs and everything else a couple times while I was there).

I am doing the best I can, so far think I am ok. Lets keep praying for those who can't (for the most part) avoid exposure.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I absolutely take this threat seriously. I live 40 miles from Detroit, one of the hot spots. And I have a daughter who works in a Wisconsin state prison and her husband works in a hospital. So both are front line troops with higher than average exposure.

I want to get something off my chest. I am a great fan and admirer of Geno. Even when he says things that ruffle feathers, even amongst Boneyarders, I usually don't take offense.

But I was really bothered at the time of the AAC tournament when he eschewed the advice of medical experts and the league's recommendations and had the team go through the post game handshake lines as usual. For reference, here's an article: Geno Auriemma Slams Coronavirus Handshake Policy.

I'm wondering if in hindsight he regrets his decision.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I absolutely take this threat seriously. I live 40 miles from Detroit, one of the hot spots. And I have a daughter who works in a Wisconsin state prison and her husband works in a hospital. So both are front line troops with higher than average exposure.

I want to get something off my chest. I am a great fan and admirer of Geno. Even when he says things that ruffle feathers, even amongst Boneyarders, I usually don't take offense.

But I was really bothered at the time of the AAC tournament when he eschewed the advice of medical experts and the league's recommendations and had the team go through the post game handshake lines as usual. For reference, here's an article: Geno Auriemma Slams Coronavirus Handshake Policy.

I'm wondering if in hindsight he regrets his decision.

I think Geno was probably reacting more to the incongruity that the NCAA allowed and encouraged everyone to play a game of close (intimate) contact but then initiate precautions that were very strange to the general culture of basketball. And he was far from alone in that view at that time.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think Geno was probably reacting more to the incongruity that the NCAA allowed and encouraged everyone to play a game of close (intimate) contact but then initiate precautions that were very strange to the general culture of basketball. And he was far from alone in that view at that time.
He nailed that one right on, particularly his wrestling remark.

As to the complaint, I'm pretty sure it is the handshake line with the other team. And whether or not it was wise, getting back to his central point, it wasn't like there hadn't already been plenty of opportunity for teams to share the virus with each other.

Had he encouraged a "fan" handshake line (such as Arizona typically does down the floor seats (and some front row seats) after each home game) that would be different, but I don't think that is what he was talking about.

Reaction Score
There are items you still can not find in stores or on-line. What are the items you can not get now.

And if you can share where you can find those items, many many thanks ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have problem to find eggs. I ask the supermarket and they told me because more parents are cooking for the kids, hence need more eggs than usual ...

Reaction Score
obviously toilet paper. The last 3 trips to the store they were empty. So, I asked the store manager when the next shipment was? He said the next delivery was 11 pm... after the store closed and they opened at 6 am this mourning. At 6 am there were 10 people in line and I got some, by 6:10 am they were almost out again.

So ask the store manager it may help

Reaction Score
I’m in different major grocery stores every day because of my job. Tissue/paper towels sell instantly. I live in North Louisiana. I don’t need it because I coupon all the time so I have plenty, but it’s gold these days I guess.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I got milk and eggs before all of this cv19 stuff exploded. The last time I was in the store.... I noticed that most all of the milk was gone. I got enough milk left to wash down the slice of triple coconut cake that I bought today.... hopefully there will be milk in the stores the next time I go.... cause nothing goes better with cookies, cupcakes, brownies, and Cake than a big glass of whole milk.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I’m in different major grocery stores every day because of my job. Tissue/paper towels sell instantly. I live in North Louisiana. I don’t need it because I coupon all the time so I have plenty, but it’s gold these days I guess.

It wouldnt surprise me if some people are stealing toilet tissue from rest rooms at work or from other public places like restaurants and stores.

This happened here a little over a week ago

:eek: Guilford County deputies find 18,000 pounds of toilet paper in stolen tractor-trailer truck

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Haven't seen a roll of Tyler Phommachanh the last five trips to different stores. Nor bleach or Lysol.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
80-90% of people who test positive for the coronavirus exhibit zero/ mild symptoms. 80,000 Americans died from the flu last year. Sorry, but I don't want to be quarantined for another 2-3 months. And if it makes anyone feel better, let me add the comforting phrase, that my governor likes to use, 'we're all in this together! (yes, I'm just a heartless meanie).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It wouldnt surprise me if some people are stealing toilet tissue from rest rooms at work or from other public places like restaurants and stores.

This happened here a little over a week ago

:eek: Guilford County deputies find 18,000 pounds of toilet paper in stolen tractor-trailer truck
1585443839887.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
80-90% of people who test positive for the coronavirus exhibit zero/ mild symptoms. 80,000 Americans died from the flu last year. Sorry, but I don't want to be quarantined for another 2-3 months. And if it makes anyone feel better, let me add the comforting phrase, that my governor likes to use, 'we're all in this together! (yes, I'm just a heartless meanie).
Heartless meanie hardly begins to describe you. Your statistics on flu deaths are inflated as are your statistics on zero/mild symptoms. This is not the flu. It’s 3 times easier to catch and 10 to 20 times more likely to kill you.

The problem with all those asymptomatic people you talk about is that they transmit the disease to the most vulnerable people in our society: the old and the sick. So all the kids on spring break in FL and the revelers at Mardi Gras in New Orleans are likely responsible for the spread of the disease in FL & LA that will result in hundreds of deaths at nursing homes and senior centers.

So tell me. How many deaths are you OK with? We’re at 2,000 right now. You good with 5,000? 10,000? 80,000?

Reaction Score
I have problem to find eggs. I ask the supermarket and they told me because more parents are cooking for the kids, hence need more eggs than usual ...
Kaizen, I went to Stop and Shop at 6am yesterday and they had plenty of eggs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom