The Civil Conflict! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

The Civil Conflict!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love the fact Bob gives a ship! He is going to sink or swim with his decisions and realizes he has three seasons to get the ship headed in the proper direction or end up walking the plank! Let's hope he has something for Army also.

Reaction Score
why wont this thread die
d77a76c72d07bc1e64fe0dec27c7dbb20fd2a531e492fac6df5238c0074130a0.jpg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
why wont this thread die

Because it's on the verge of becoming "Bucket Hat 2015." I google imaged civil conflict to see what the mojo possibilities were and amongst a sea of war and poverty pictures were a handful of UConn and UCF photos, so at least we know the phrase is available.

Reaction Score
why wont this thread die
Ahh yes...Leave it to a Jerk to add a post to a thread he wants to die...:D You just gave it another dimension! Obviously much smarter than you give yourself credit for ...ooops.
As I was typing you did it again. Like Diaco simply genius! :)

Reaction Score
There are scads and scores of fans whose response to being in the AAC has been to incessantly point out what a crap conference it is, how spread out it is, how awful some of the schools are, and so on. The solution to the problem that they offer is, "we need to get out of this conference ASAP."
This is like we're all sitting on a compromised boat, complaining of its list, bemoaning the unsanitary condition, and otherwise engaging in a non-stop pity party whilst we parrot, repeatedly, "what we need is a new boat," notwithstanding that no new boat is in sight or expected any time soon.
Diaco is bailing. From what I can see, he's bailing as fast and as hard as he can. He's working with what he has. Was the rivalry thing, retrospectively, a poor choice? Yep. Did he make rookie mistakes as a head coach last year? Yep. But the dude is bailing like a madman, and I'm not exactly sure what people want him to do. Win? That's the advice. That's like yelling to a drowning man, "swim!"

The guy inherited this from PP:
toilet-overflowing.jpg

It's been only a year and a bit. He barely knows his players. He's had little to time to learn how to be a head coach.
It's striking to me how aggressive the more radical fans are are at calling for his head. If the more belligerent fans had their way, he may already be gone, and some new guy would be sitting there, surveying the sinking vessel, having people scream at him, "we need a new ship. This ship sucks. You have 3 hours to find one."
It's becoming normal in our world to quickly and openly mock people for any perceived failure through distal media portals, and with impunity and without accountability. We're becoming a nation, and world, of mean girls, perching like vultures, waiting for anybody to slip so we can caw out at them, mock and laugh and condescend. Shame on us for not supporting Diaco through thick and thin, particularly given the short time he has been here and the fecal mess he inherited. The guy didn't put the gash in the hull. He just was the guy who agreed to come aboard and work to right it.

I don't use this word lightly - I think the guy is incredibly brave to put himself out there, likely knowing what the reaction would be. He's soldiering on. I respect that immensely, notwithstanding any missteps along the way, and I think it's petty and small to pile on our head coach when his single and obvious motivation is to improve the team and the program.

Reaction Score
I don't use this word lightly - I think the guy is incredibly brave to put himself out there, likely knowing what the reaction would be. He's soldiering on. I respect that immensely, notwithstanding any missteps along the way, and I think it's petty and small to pile on our head coach when his single and obvious motivation is to improve the team and the program.

I think people are just concerned that the guy might be mental.

Reaction Score
The Civil Conflict? I mean it's just... wow. That's impressive. We couldn't call it The Handshake Game? Or Let's Everybody Have a Clean Game Out There Game?

This was my thought As well - might as well be called it the "polite disagreement" or the "rational discourse" game. Bob if you're spending your own money to create a trophy so you have a made up rivalry spend a bit extra on a copywriter and get a decent name.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There are scads and scores of fans whose response to being in the AAC has been to incessantly point out what a crap conference it is, how spread out it is, how awful some of the schools are, and so on. The solution to the problem that they offer is, "we need to get out of this conference ASAP."
This is like we're all sitting on a compromised boat, complaining of its list, bemoaning the unsanitary condition, and otherwise engaging in a non-stop pity party whilst we parrot, repeatedly, "what we need is a new boat," notwithstanding that no new boat is in sight or expected any time soon.
Diaco is bailing. From what I can see, he's bailing as fast and as hard as he can. He's working with what he has. Was the rivalry thing, retrospectively, a poor choice? Yep. Did he make rookie mistakes as a head coach last year? Yep. But the dude is bailing like a madman, and I'm not exactly sure what people want him to do. Win? That's the advice. That's like yelling to a drowning man, "swim!"

The guy inherited this from PP:
toilet-overflowing.jpg

It's been only a year and a bit. He barely knows his players. He's had little to time to learn how to be a head coach.
It's striking to me how aggressive the more radical fans are are at calling for his head. If the more belligerent fans had their way, he may already be gone, and some new guy would be sitting there, surveying the sinking vessel, having people scream at him, "we need a new ship. This ship sucks. You have 3 hours to find one."
It's becoming normal in our world to quickly and openly mock people for any perceived failure through distal media portals, and with impunity and without accountability. We're becoming a nation, and world, of mean girls, perching like vultures, waiting for anybody to slip so we can caw out at them, mock and laugh and condescend. Shame on us for not supporting Diaco through thick and thin, particularly given the short time he has been here and the fecal mess he inherited. The guy didn't put the gash in the hull. He just was the guy who agreed to come aboard and work to right it.

I agree with almost everything... Still, fans and passion drive rivalries, they can't just be declared to exist. I don't blame him for trying though - his heart is in the right place, just not the best execution.

Reaction Score
This was my thought As well - might as well be called it the "polite disagreement" or the "rational discourse" game. Bob if you're spending your own money to create a trophy so you have a made up rivalry spend a bit extra on a copywriter and get a decent name.

Should have called it Nuclear Holocaust

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The lamest thing about "Civil Conflict" is that it sounds like a ripoff of Oregon / Oregon State's civil war. If you think about it as a non UO/OSU person, there's something distasteful about naming your rivalry game after the bloodiest, worst war in the history of the country, but maybe that's just me. But at least they have an actual historical rivalry.

So I choose to go the route of thinking Diaco is trolling everybody, the UConn fan base included. The most hilarious thing would be if UConn goes 1-11 with the only win being over UCF. Which means it'll probably happen

Reaction Score
I know Carl's post are long and bloviated sometimes, but all you asking why not UMass or Syracuse or those thinking this whole thing is ridiculous (which on some level it is).....he is doing it for whats in bold up there

Hey pilot dude - bloviate me. :)

Reaction Score
TasteofUconn
I agree that he is trying. I just don't think he did a very good job last year at much of anything. His team was poorly prepared for games. He didn't have his best receiver on the field on 3rd and long ever it seemed. One had the sense he didn't game plan. He made bizarre decisions (changing quarterbacks in mid drive, shutting down the pass game to name a few). Not brining in a Juco quarterback when he clearly didn't like what he had. The list is endless. But all taken together it has the feel of a guy who has no idea what he is doing. He needs to show a huge improvement this year I think because if he goes 2-10 again and looks that disorganized doing it he and his new trophy will be looking for a home come December.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here is the thing:

The game does not need to be reinvented.

Turning around a bad team is a simple formula:

Recruit better players and then coach them better.

Everything that comes out of the program comes with a hint of arrogance that they are the smartest guys in the world and they have it all figured out - when what we saw was an overmatched coaching staff who spent the year getting their asses handed to them while making excuses.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing:

The game does not need to be reinvented.

Turning around a bad team is a simple formula:

Recruit better players and then coach them better.

Everything that comes out of the program comes with a hint of arrogance that they are the smartest guys in the world and they have it all figured out - when what we saw was an overmatched coaching staff who spent the year getting their asses handed to them while making excuses.

maybe it's like the Matrix - they've figured it out but we're still sheeple.

Reaction Score
haha just trying to have your back man, but.....I'm sure we can work something out

Wow, now you want to have my back too. Just fly. Lol.

The sheer stupid hilarity of it all obscures the reality that Diaco did find a way to make the returning players have something tangible to literally carry forward to know they can compete and win at the level they need to be. Its a gag that, if it works, will only work once though. Got to start winning regularly.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
My "source" who works at Gumby's in Mansfield said he overheard a table of UConn "suits" chatting 2 weeks ago that a friend of theirs from B1G country said that their friend overheard an AD and President from one of the Great Lakes Universities state the following: Well, the others Prez's and I think... without a "Trophy Game" they (UConn and UCF) just don't add much to the table.
Quite the coincidence......

What do you mean Gumby's closed?????

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think I just changed my mind. I must have missed it first pass, but I just read that the trophy is back-dated to include the results of last year's game. That is ' hilarious. It has actually made me feel better about Coach Diaco. I like it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom