The Civil Conflict! | Page 10 | The Boneyard

The Civil Conflict!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ya know, Diaco is in a tough spot and there is a part of me that really likes the seemingly unending supply of energy and positive attitude.

There's also a part of me that is scared to death, because I wonder if he really believes all his own b*lls**t.

We'll see.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The only thing that could make this video better is ending with a picture of the trophy and possibly the clip at the dryer with HCBD saying "shhhh."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think I just changed my mind. I must have missed it first pass, but I just read that the trophy is back-dated to include the results of last year's game. That is ' hilarious. It has actually made me feel better about Coach Diaco. I like it now.

I laughed at this too! The only thing better would be a small little sub-section in the corner of this thing that read "And duck* USF Too!" (with all the scores that we have beaten them listed).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I absolutely LOVE that they used the wrong UCF logo. Without doing that, UCF would've probably laughed this thing off. Now, they are claiming to laugh this thing off but are probably a tiny bit bothered deep down with the incorrect logo usage. I hope that UConn/Diaco never changes the logo to their correct one and when UCF beats us this year, they will be handed this POS trophy that looks like a 2nd grader glued together.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The lamest thing about "Civil Conflict" is that it sounds like a ripoff of Oregon / Oregon State's civil war. If you think about it as a non UO/OSU person, there's something distasteful about naming your rivalry game after the bloodiest, worst war in the history of the country, but maybe that's just me. But at least they have an actual historical rivalry.

So I choose to go the route of thinking Diaco is trolling everybody, the UConn fan base included. The most hilarious thing would be if UConn goes 1-11 with the only win being over UCF. Which means it'll probably happen
Hey.... i already mentioned ORegon/OSU a few days ago in this god awful thread. !!
That is how long and bad it is, yet here I am.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
I wonder what the Perfect Hair guy has to say about this. This is the typical time for him to pop up.

Some things just are so beyond belief that it leaves you speechless. Literally without speech. This of course is not one of them my good friend ;). I realize I'm late to the party, but dang, this is supposed to be the quiet time of the year where I can get other things done, follow my baseball team and not have to worry about what our incompetent whackjob leader is doing or saying. I figured we might even be good until midway through camp before having to worry about being embarrassed on a national level with the likes of a QB press conference etc. So I haven't come on here or even read one thing about college football in ages. I figure when I get my Phil Steele magazine in a few weeks then it will be go time.

Nope, my son shoots me a text that says simply "Diaco did it again, check out the b-yard". So.....here we go again. Some of you can be mad at me all you want, but I said it last year before the season started that this guy was in way over his head. Then the "key backup" nonsense got me even more nervous, and the BYU game got me 90% of the way done with him and the rest of the season sealed it in cement. We laugh WITH THIS on here now, but meanwhile media and recruits everywhere are laughing AT US. If some of you think that is a good thing I'm sorry, I can't help you.

I've said it before, everything Diaco does comes off as something he memorized from a leadership manual or a coaching manual and is 100% canned and unoriginal. It's why he can't adapt on the fly, all he has to rely on is slogans and metaphors and the last time I looked slogans and metaphors can't score TDs.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
There are scads and scores of fans whose response to being in the AAC has been to incessantly point out what a crap conference it is, how spread out it is, how awful some of the schools are, and so on. The solution to the problem that they offer is, "we need to get out of this conference ASAP."
This is like we're all sitting on a compromised boat, complaining of its list, bemoaning the unsanitary condition, and otherwise engaging in a non-stop pity party whilst we parrot, repeatedly, "what we need is a new boat," notwithstanding that no new boat is in sight or expected any time soon.
Diaco is bailing. From what I can see, he's bailing as fast and as hard as he can. He's working with what he has. Was the rivalry thing, retrospectively, a poor choice? Yep. Did he make rookie mistakes as a head coach last year? Yep. But the dude is bailing like a madman, and I'm not exactly sure what people want him to do. Win? That's the advice. That's like yelling to a drowning man, "swim!"

The guy inherited this from PP:
toilet-overflowing.jpg

It's been only a year and a bit. He barely knows his players. He's had little to time to learn how to be a head coach.
It's striking to me how aggressive the more radical fans are are at calling for his head. If the more belligerent fans had their way, he may already be gone, and some new guy would be sitting there, surveying the sinking vessel, having people scream at him, "we need a new ship. This ship sucks. You have 3 hours to find one."
It's becoming normal in our world to quickly and openly mock people for any perceived failure through distal media portals, and with impunity and without accountability. We're becoming a nation, and world, of mean girls, perching like vultures, waiting for anybody to slip so we can caw out at them, mock and laugh and condescend. Shame on us for not supporting Diaco through thick and thin, particularly given the short time he has been here and the fecal mess he inherited. The guy didn't put the gash in the hull. He just was the guy who agreed to come aboard and work to right it.

I don't use this word lightly - I think the guy is incredibly brave to put himself out there, likely knowing what the reaction would be. He's soldiering on. I respect that immensely, notwithstanding any missteps along the way, and I think it's petty and small to pile on our head coach when his single and obvious motivation is to improve the team and the program.
This!

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Ahhh....now everyone has been heard from. Maybe time to close the thread. ;)

Wait, there's more. For the low, low, low price of $19.99 you can get your own Bob Diaco Trophy and engraving kit so you can create whatever rivalry you want, AFTER THE FACT!!!! Beat Villanova (yeah right) in Game 1 this year, boom, congratulations, you just won the "Original Colonies Championship"!!! Beat Navy (yeah right) in Game 4, get out that emgraving kit because you just won the "New London Submarine Periscope Platter"

I thought we would never again see the likes of the QB press conference disaster but I won't be shocked one iota if he does the same dang thing again this year. Nothing this whackadoodle does can surprise us any more.

Reaction Score
Perfect Hair said:
Wait, there's more. For the low, low, low price of $19.99 you can get your own Bob Diaco Trophy and engraving kit so you can create whatever rivalry you want, AFTER THE FACT!!!! Beat Villanova (yeah right) in Game 1 this year, boom, congratulations, you just won the "Original Colonies Championship"!!! Beat Navy (yeah right) in Game 4, get out that emgraving kit because you just won the "New London Submarine Periscope Platter"

I will admit, this post made me laugh pretty hard.

Reaction Score
Perfect hair
Much of what you say about the canned presentation memorized from some b-school seminar on motivating employees not coaching manuals I think is what has me concerned too. But hey he spent his own dough on this and who knows maybe it motivates somebody. Some MBAs thought giving out shirts to nurses who had to stay over during a snow storm but not to the ones who actually came in for their shift at a local hospital was a great idea. This was in lieu of the extra pay they had been promised. That seems like a Bob Diaco type move.

Reaction Score
VanquishTheFoe 1:21pm via Hootsuite
BYU shouldn't let UConn have all the fun. 7 rivalry trophies BYU football should make up:
http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2015/...ies-for-byu-opponents-nebraska-missouri-texas

THE WHITE SHIRT TROPHY
BYU-UConn

UConn started this whole thing and just so happens to be on BYU's schedule again this season. Head coach Bob Diaco's wardrobe of choice for the sidelines is a clean, white shirt. Missionaries wear white dress shirts. LET'S MAKE A TROPHY. It could be a super-starched white polo that the winning team (BYU) can parade around the sidelines after the game.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Until Diaco wins more games than PP he is way more embarrassing. PP was your granfather who forgot to put his teeth in before sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner, Diaco is the crazy uncle who may or not have been dropped on his head as a young child and now wants to say a 20 minute Grace every year because he's a reborn nutbag.

And now this BYU post.....It is embarrassing, end of story.

Reaction Score
Silly stuff.

And I bet UConn football players are laughing too. But, there's only one thing that matters at this point in the timeline: those kids have to believe in him and perform. I expect far better than 2 wins & I am certain the Locker Room thinks they can come up dramatically. (let's do a Western Michigan or Memphis turn)

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
All publicity is good publicity?

Absolutley not. Being someone elses punchline is not an attractive trait. Think of it from a recruit's standpoint. Think any high level QB wants to go to a school and be ridiculed as not a Key Starter but definitely a Key Backup? In case you didn't notice our QB position last year was a disaster and in theory kids should have been banging down the door to come to a place where they could walk in and be the starter. Yet we didn't even have any mid-level QB recruits commit and no 5th year transfers either. Ask yourself why not? Either Diaco doesn't think we need improvement at that position or kids don't want to be the star of the next press conference follies. Either way it's embarrassing.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Silly stuff.

And I bet UConn football players are laughing too. But, there's only one thing that matters at this point in the timeline: those kids have to believe in him and perform. I expect far better than 2 wins & I am certain the Locker Room thinks they can come up dramatically. (let's do a Western Michigan or Memphis turn)

Yeah they are laughing alright, laughing AT their coach. If you don't think they noticed what happened last year when the bullets were flying and Captain Queeg was worried about shirts tucked in and sleeves matching then you are crazy. You do remember right that he sent guys off the field and back into the locker rooom last year during the BYU pre-game because he didn't like how some were wearing one sleeve up and one down? Did we look super organized and in control during that game or was it 60 minutes of tomfoolery? Where was his focus and where should it have been, you tell me?

What message did the players receive during the USF game when he forbid the offense to pass? Think they laughed about that?

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Because we brought in a JUCO QB?

Do you think a high level high school QB is afraid of a low-level, and that's what he is, JUCO QB? Think a 5th year kid is afraid? Please, that's like saying they are afraid of Tim Boyle because of his play last year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yeah I am laughing alright, laughing AT their coach.

Fixed that for you. The players like Diaco a lot more than you do. I'm not going to argue with much else that you say, but at least get that straight. The dissatisfaction with Diaco is 100% coming from the fanbase.

BTW, firebobdiaco.com is still open. Please PM me once you get started on that -- I'm eagerly awaiting some solid content!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Do you think a high level high school QB is afraid of a low-level, and that's what he is, JUCO QB? Think a 5th year kid is afraid? Please, that's like saying they are afraid of Tim Boyle because of his play last year.

All he's saying is your facts were wrong. When you're lecturing about how embarrassing our coach is, try not to be a hypocrite about it.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
And I'm telling you that the players smell a fraud way before the fans do. Most fans buy into the bible thumping, coaching manual platitudes while the players are looking to see if they coach actually has the coaching goods or not. If he can devise and execute a plan that works, if he uses personnel correctly. So I'm sure they saw a lot of things way before we (fans) did.

As for the QB situation, you seriously think kids stayed away because we already had too much talent here at that position? Wow, maybe I'm underestimating how good we are going to be this year, where can I order my AAC Championship ring?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All he's saying is your facts were wrong. When you're lecturing about how embarrassing our coach is, try not to be a hypocrite about it.

I have no idea if the player's like him or not. I would suspect most do, there wasn't much turnover this offseason.

The one piece of evidence that seems to be missing is: if they like him so much what the heck happened at the end of the season when they stayed in the locker room the last two weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom