The Catholic league is... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Catholic league is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You really don't want to go there, do you? Because you haven't been watching so far if you think this is notable.

Villanova lost to Columbia. Columbia!!!!!!!!!! Another one of these vaunted schools went to OT with something called the Technological Institute of New Jersey! DePaul lost by double digits to Gardner-Webb! And to top it off, they threw one to awful West Kentucky. St. John's didn't want to be outdone, so they lost badly by 16 to San Francisco (not the 49ers) and by 15 pts to Murray State.

So we are screwed regardless.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You really don't want to go there, do you? Because you haven't been watching so far if you think this is notable.

Villanova lost to Columbia. Columbia!!!!!!!!!! Another one of these vaunted schools went to OT with something called the Technological Institute of New Jersey! DePaul lost by double digits to Gardner-Webb! And to top it off, they threw one to awful West Kentucky. St. John's didn't want to be outdone, so they lost badly by 16 to San Francisco (not the 49ers) and by 15 pts to Murray State.
Wasn't Bill Murray the hero in Space Jam. Perhaps losing to them isn't that embarrassing.

Reaction Score
The Catholic "Basketball schools" are very, very, overated. They didn't fear being stuck in a league with SMU, Houston, East Carolina, UCF and USF, they feared LOSING to those schools on a consistent basis.

The basketball league with UCONN, Memphis, Temple, Cincy, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, East Carolina, Tulane will be the superior basketball league, if it ever happens. Throw in UNLV, Tulsa, and San Diego State an you really have a strong basketball league.

I'll take East Carolina and Tulane over Seton Hall and Depaul any day of the week.

Reaction Score
a joke. I can't believe more people don't agree with me. The league is garbage and they will get no $. Georgetown is a name brand but other than that forget it. The next best programs are Villanova and Marquette. Nova is in the worst shape it's been in 15-20 years. Marquette is a sweet 16 team in their best year. The rest of the schools are commuter schools. Butler and Dayton will not make this religious conference more desirable. UConn's **ty conference of Memphis, Temple, and Cincy is still much better.

Sounds like someone is upset about their program being left out in the cold. No need to get your panties all in a bunch...

Have fun playing Tulane, My god anything is better that that mess

Reaction Score
The Catholic "Basketball schools" are very, very, overated. They didn't fear being stuck in a league with SMU, Houston, East Carolina, UCF and USF, they feared LOSING to those schools on a consistent basis.

The basketball league with UCONN, Memphis, Temple, Cincy, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, East Carolina, Tulane will be the superior basketball league, if it ever happens. Throw in UNLV, Tulsa, and San Diego State an you really have a strong basketball league.

I'll take East Carolina and Tulane over Seton Hall and Depaul any day of the week.

You've got to be crazy. The new bball only league will be good. Butler who is a lock to be included beat Indiana today. VCU with Shaka Smart, another likely invite beat up on Alabama today. The league will have programs with a lot of history and a new breed of good coaches. To downplay is foolish. These schools looking to be added have strong attendance numbers and track records of success that will only be bolstered in a new league which should allow many of these schools to improve their recruiting. If you don't like seeing Brad Stevens, Chris Mack or Shaka Smart now, it'll be worse when their recruiting improves in a new league.

It will be a much better league than I think some are expecting.

Reaction Score
Personally, I love the possibilities for the new league...especially if they get back the name that is rightfully theirs, and MSG. If done right, the new league could really thrive. Uconn, Cinci, Temple, etc would jump at the opputunity to be a part of it, the league they are in right now is disgusting.

BTW nyc,
Thamel said 1.6 to 3 mill per school annually for the new league.......

Reaction Score
Personally, I love the possibilities for the new league...especially if they get back the name that is rightfully theirs, and MSG. If done right, the new league could really thrive. Uconn, Cinci, Temple, etc would jump at the opputunity to be a part of it, the league they are in right now is disgusting.

BTW nyc,
Thamel said 1.6 to 3 mill per school annually for the new league.......

Chicken feed. A glorified A10. The best team in that conference, G'town, went 18 years between F8s.
No thanks.
The days of UConn feeding the parasites are over.

Reaction Score
Chicken feed. A glorified A10. The best team in that conference, G'town, went 18 years between F8s.
No thanks.

The Big East gave birth to Uconn. Uconn now a thankless offspring? The Big East gave Uconn everything it has today. It was football and greed that lead to the demise. To blame the basketball schools is misguided. They wanted this held together. Football schools have forced the hand of the remaining 7 basketball schools. As the saying goes, "if you"re not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". I think the 7 basketball schools just decided to look for a solution. To call them "parasites" is blasphemy after becoming big and powerful off the Big East's teet.

Reaction Score
I think the 7 basketball schools just decided to look for a solution.

To call Depaul, Seton Hall and Providence "basketball schools" is blasphemy. Even St John's has stunk for the better part of 10 years.

Reaction Score
No thanks.

It's too bad so many of you guys are such big headed fans.
Herbst was about to get on her knees to try keeping the "parasites" in the current BE, the day news broke about the "parasites" leaving. The 7 catholic schools wouldn't have left if they were not leaving for a much better situation.
Memphis hasn't beat a ranked team since Calipari was there...And I'd love to know what you guys expect Uconn to be now that Calhoun isn't around and are in a mess of a conference. Times are changing.

Reaction Score
To call Depaul, Seton Hall and Providence "basketball schools" is blasphemy. Even St John's has stunk for the better part of 10 years.

Not being real good For a decade or more is not a crime. There were decades they were better than Uconn. SJU's history goes back over 100 years. I agree SJU has stunk because of awful hires. Just remember that Jim Calnoun's don't grow on trees. Uconn. Very lucky to have hired the right guy. The Big East was built by top notch coaches. it started with PJ, Louie, JT3' Rollie, Boeheim, then Calhoun and others. Like I said though, truly great coaches aren't common.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Catholic seven is not a particularly good league. Georgetown is good, Marquette is good, Nova might be falling off a table and the rest of them are down - some have been down so long that they don't remember where up is.

Very difficult to form a solid foundation when four of the seven schools have been and continue to be chronically mismanaged. Being free of the football schools is not going to magically change their stars - dregs is dregs is dregs.

Reaction Score
It's too bad so many of you guys are such big headed fans.
Herbst was about to get on her knees to try keeping the "parasites" in the current BE, the day news broke about the "parasites" leaving. The 7 catholic schools wouldn't have left if they were not leaving for a much better situation.
Memphis hasn't beat a ranked team since Calipari was there...And I'd love to know what you guys expect Uconn to be now that Calhoun isn't around and are in a mess of a conference. Times are changing.

The Big East gave birth to Uconn. Uconn now a thankless offspring? The Big East gave Uconn everything it has today. It was football and greed that lead to the demise. To blame the basketball schools is misguided. They wanted this held together. Football schools have forced the hand of the remaining 7 basketball schools. As the saying goes, "if you"re not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". I think the 7 basketball schools just decided to look for a solution. To call them "parasites" is blasphemy after becoming big and powerful off the Big East's teet.

UConn had a good history before the BE, and has been around a long time. From the moment UConn joined, it held its own (its first couple of years saw it land the best recruiting classes with Chuck Aleksinas, Mike McKay and Corny Thompson, who was a top 5 player). Then they went into a 4 or 5 year funk. After that Calhoun arrived. so since it's inception, Uconn had about a 5 year down period. Other schools, like G'town, were wandering the desert for 18 years between 1988 and 2006. Who held it together during this time? UConn. All those NCAA credits UConn racked up and shared with you, the Catholic schools were going nowhere during this period, and doing nothing. Blame it on football, but you're wrong, because almost immediately after forming, the football question came up when Penn State was looking to join. When you invite football schools like BC, Syracuse and Pitt to the league, what in the world do you expect? If it weren't for your constant NO, NO, NOs to football, the league would have had PSU, Maryland, Miami, Cuse, BC, WV, Rutgers, Pitt in it. Heck, you guys said no to Kansas 2 years ago when it looked like the B12 was imploding. That's how stupid you are.

The BE's teet? UConn brought home the bacon! Year after year.

Reaction Score

Hats off to you too. We will do well. Watch. While you fade into obscurity.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't wish them anything but good luck. I hope they do well and we do better. Even with all the different interests that couldn't pull together enough to keep things going, it was a great run for quite some time and UConn reached the pinnacle of success in that conference. I'm going to miss it.

Reaction Score
Your program is one bad coach away from being irrelevant. Don't let Ollie fall on his face. UConn in that league after a few bad seasons will be in a worse place than they were in the Yankee Conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Your program is one bad coach away from being irrelevant. Don't let Ollie fall on his face. UConn in that league after a few bad seasons will be in a worse place than they were in the Yankee Conference.

You were one bad coach away from being irrelevant two decades ago.

Unfortunately, you went and had about five bad coaches since then.

The grownups are talking basketball here...a Rutgers fan has no place at the table.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't wish them anything but good luck. I hope they do well and we do better. Even with all the different interests that couldn't pull together enough to keep things going, it was a great run for quite some time and UConn reached the pinnacle of success in that conference. I'm going to miss it.

I wish them all the luck in the world - I'll watch that league.

But it's not inaccurate to say that the league, with currently projects to have four pretty bad Big East programs, is not very good.

Reaction Score
You were one bad coach away from being irrelevant two decades ago.

Unfortunately, you went and had about five bad coaches since then.

The grownups are talking basketball here...a Rutgers fan has no place at the table.

Do us a favor, can the last team out the conference hit the light switch?

Reaction Score

Says the guy whose team never made a BCS bowl, never even got a NCAA tourney bid while in the NCAA, never won a dang thing ever, and is now going to become a punching bag for banal midwesterners. Do you even realize that B1G fans are livid at your inclusion?

Reaction Score
Says the guy whose team never made a BCS bowl, never even got a NCAA tourney bid while in the NCAA, never won a dang thing ever, and is now going to become a punching bag for banal midwesterners. Do you even realize that B1G fans are livid at your inclusion?

Do you even realize that every decent football team in the ACC will leave if they ever added UConn?...... exhibit A- LOUISVILLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom