The Catholic league is... | The Boneyard

The Catholic league is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
a joke. I can't believe more people don't agree with me. The league is garbage and they will get no $. Georgetown is a name brand but other than that forget it. The next best programs are Villanova and Marquette. Nova is in the worst shape it's been in 15-20 years. Marquette is a sweet 16 team in their best year. The rest of the schools are commuter schools. Butler and Dayton will not make this religious conference more desirable. UConn's **ty conference of Memphis, Temple, and Cincy is still much better.

Reaction Score

BCU fans never knew much about basketball. Not surprised that the move to the ACC hasn't increased your knowledge.

He's right. UConn, Cincy, Memphis and Temple are more relevant basketball wise than G'Town, Nova and Marquette.

You poll anyone who knows anything about basketball, and they will tell you the exact same thing. 99% of bball fans would agree with that.

But you're a BCU fan, what would you know about it?

0-27.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
We're stuck with them for a bit longer

Big East spokesperson John Paquette told ESPN.com the seven schools will leave on June 30, 2015, per conference bylaws

Reaction Score
We're stuck with them for a bit longer

Big East spokesperson John Paquette told ESPN.com the seven schools will leave on June 30, 2015, per conference bylaws

It's not a bad thing for several reasons.

1. It forces them to negotiate their way out if they want out sooner.
2. It gives the new schools incentive to join (i.e. NCAA credit money)
3. It keeps bball intact for the new arriving recruits which allows Ollie to keep things going bball wise
4. It keeps the status quo as UConn waits for teams to leave the ACC.

I'm not saying that things can't go horribly wrong but one of the worst things right now was the picture of UConn with a severely weakened BBall schedule, the western schools refusing to join and then joining MWC instead, and effectively no conference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's not a bad thing for several reasons.

1. It forces them to negotiate their way out if they want out sooner.
2. It gives the new schools incentive to join (i.e. NCAA credit money)
3. It keeps bball intact for the new arriving recruits which allows Ollie to keep things going bball wise
4. It keeps the status quo as UConn waits for teams to leave the ACC.

I'm not saying that things can't go horribly wrong but one of the worst things right now was the picture of UConn with a severely weakened BBall schedule, the western schools refusing to join and then joining MWC instead, and effectively no conference.
Exactly. Since they announced their intentions this is the best possible outcome for the three remaining football schools. I was afraid they were going to be nasty about things. The major issue will be the BE name and MSG.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Since they announced their intentions this is the best possible outcome for the three remaining football schools. I was afraid they were going to be nasty about things. The major issue will be the BE name and MSG.

They left. How is that an issue? They couldn't dissolve the league.
MSG may be an issue, but I'm sure there are other venues for this league as well. MSG may go Catholic, but really, none of those schools show up.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
[quote="UConn's **ty conference of Memphis, Temple, and Cincy is still much better.[/quote]

It gives me hope to know that they make alcohol or pharmaceuticals strong enough to cause someone to make this assertion.

Watching UConn regularly play South Florida, Central Florida, Tulane and SMU has the same appeal to me as watching other people's kids perform two-hour dance recitals at the Klein Auditorium in Bridgeport once or twice a week every winter for the rest of my life. The PA announcer might be saying "And the starting line-up for Southern Methodist University is . . ." but what I'll be hearing is "Let's give a warm welcome to the Wednesday 3pm Li'l Tumblers." I may need to start drinking right now to prepare for this.

Reaction Score
I can't be certain but this article indicates the possibility of a controversy with the name. http://mobile.philly.com/sports/?wss=/philly/sports/colleges/&id=183450971&viewAll=y#more

That article seems to have been written prior to today's events, so that all those things were still in negotiation.

It's my assumption now that there willbe no splitting of assets because the exit fees will have been paid out by 2015, and separating NCAA credits in 2015 after the arrival of the new schools will be as difficult as the separation of assets when countries split into 2 or when states leave currency unions. By 2015, most of the 2011 and pre- credits will have been paid out, and anything earned after the fact (after the addition of new members for 2013) will belong to the new membership.

Reaction Score
[quote="UConn's **ty conference of Memphis, Temple, and Cincy is still much better.

It gives me hope to know that they make alcohol or pharmaceuticals strong enough to cause someone to make this assertion.

Watching UConn regularly play South Florida, Central Florida, Tulane and SMU has the same appeal to me as watching other people's kids perform two-hour dance recitals at the Klein Auditorium in Bridgeport once or twice a week every winter for the rest of my life. The PA announcer might be saying "And the starting line-up for Southern Methodist University is . . ." but what I'll be hearing is "Let's give a warm welcome to the Wednesday 3pm Li'l Tumblers." I may need to start drinking right now to prepare for this.[/quote]

Glad to see you are so enthusiastic about Seton Hall and DePaul and Dayton and the like.

You totally twisted the argument here. We were comparing the tops of the conferences, but if you compare the bottom ones, there are as many stinkers in the CYO camp as in the BE camp. He did say conference, didn't he? And besides, you may want to take a look at the recruiting classes for SMU and Houston recently.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That article seems to have been written prior to today's events, so that all those things were still in negotiation.

It's my assumption now that there willbe no splitting of assets because the exit fees will have been paid out by 2015, and separating NCAA credits in 2015 after the arrival of the new schools will be as difficult as the separation of assets when countries split into 2 or when states leave currency unions. By 2015, most of the 2011 and pre- credits will have been paid out, and anything earned after the fact (after the addition of new members for 2013) will belong to the new membership.
So the only issue is the BE name. Aresco made it sound like the remaining football schools retain the name. And leave it to you to talk about complicated world economic matters when discussing athletics.

Reaction Score
So the only issue is the BE name. Aresco made it sound like the remaining football schools retain the name. And leave it to you to talk about complicated world economic matters when discussing athletics.

Well, it's part of the logic. The league earns the NCAA credits, not the schools, because your NCAA bid took away my bid, and my losses to you wouldn't have happened if you weren't in the league, and therefore a portion of your NCAA credits is rightfully mine!!

It's just like currency unions. For there to be a surplus country, there has to be a deficit country.

Look at the Denver Broncos and their AFC West division.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Well, it's part of the logic. The league earns the NCAA credits, not the schools, because your NCAA bid took away my bid, and my losses to you wouldn't have happened if you weren't in the league, and therefore a portion of your NCAA credits is rightfully mine!!

It's just like currency unions. For there to be a surplus country, there has to be a deficit country.

Look at the Denver Broncos and their AFC West division.
If I understand you correctly the NCAA calculates all of the situations a conference earns credits for a given year and distributes 1/6th of that total each year to the conference. Does the conference than distribute an equal portion to each school in the conference regardless of how many credits they earned for the conference/

Reaction Score
Wonder if networks will drop their Newtown mass murder tragedy coverage to show an all Cahtolic league press conference. Yes, excellent timing by the Catholic schools. :(

Reaction Score

Watching UConn regularly play South Florida, Central Florida, Tulane and SMU has the same appeal to me as watching other people's kids perform two-hour dance recitals at the Klein Auditorium in Bridgeport once or twice a week every winter for the rest of my life. The PA announcer might be saying "And the starting line-up for Southern Methodist University is . . ." but what I'll be hearing is "Let's give a warm welcome to the Wednesday 3pm Li'l Tumblers." I may need to start drinking right now to prepare for this.

Glad to see you are so enthusiastic about Seton Hall and DePaul and Dayton and the like.

You totally twisted the argument here. We were comparing the tops of the conferences, but if you compare the bottom ones, there are as many stinkers in the CYO camp as in the BE camp. He did say ****ty conference, didn't he? And besides, you may want to take a look at the recruiting classes for SMU and Houston recently.[/quote]

"We" weren't actually comparing the tops of conferences: the OP made a laughable assertion about the relative strength of the conferences and I responded. But since the sandbox monitor has decided that what we are now doing is comparing the tops of the conferences, the Catholic conference is still better than ours. UConn is better than Georgetown, Marquette or Villanova. No other team in UConn's new conference is better than those three and you cannot point to a single piece of empirical evidence that would indicate otherwise. Cincinnati has made the NCAA tournament twice in the last seven years, Temple has won one NCAA tournament game in 11 years, and Memphis hasn't won any NCAA tournament games since John Calipari left.

Reaction Score
If I understand you correctly the NCAA calculates all of the situations a conference earns credits for a given year and distributes 1/6th of that total each year to the conference. Does the conference than distribute an equal portion to each school in the conference regardless of how many credits they earned for the conference/

Yes, they do. No one has dibs on that money unless the BE outlined that beforehand. I doubt they did. That money has always been pooled, not separated. This is why they are staying until 2015.

I just read that the Catholics want the name BE.

Pony up, that will cost you a ton of money!!

Reaction Score

You totally twisted the argument here. We were comparing the tops of the conferences, but if you compare the bottom ones, there are as many stinkers in the CYO camp as in the BE camp. He did say ****ty conference, didn't he? And besides, you may want to take a look at the recruiting classes for SMU and Houston recently.

"We" weren't actually comparing the tops of conferences: the OP made a laughable assertion about the relative strength of the conferences and I responded. But since the sandbox monitor has decided that what we are now doing is comparing the tops of the conferences, the Catholic conference is still better than ours. UConn is better than Georgetown, Marquette or Villanova. No other team in UConn's new conference is better than those three and you cannot point to a single piece of empirical evidence that would indicate otherwise. Cincinnati has made the NCAA tournament twice in the last seven years, Temple has won one NCAA tournament game in 11 years, and Memphis hasn't won any NCAA tournament games since John Calipari left.[/quote]

Temple and Memphis are not playing bball inside the BE, which has its advantages. The bottom of the CYO is as bad as the bottom of the BE. There's no difference. Look at who our bottom schools are losing to so far this year. They are struggling with NJIT. Cincy has as much if not more history than all of the schools you mention, and a very enthusiastic fanbase for bball. But even better, going forward, the ACC is about the suck the talent away from all those Catholic schools. The ACC is going to be the best conference in the USA, and where once players were lured to the BE CYOs because of teams like UConn and Cuse and Louisville, those days are gone. Wake Forest and BC are going to be the benefactors now, along with other piddling ACC teams. UConn will be hurt by this too, but UConn is UConn. Temple never recruited at that level anyway so it likely won't bother them. Cincy may be effected because they dip into NYC quite bit. This won't bother Memphis at all because they compete in the south.

Reaction Score
By that logic, I should discredit your football arguments

Go ahead. No one here is actually making football arguments. We're bad. Just a little better than Pitt and Cuse, your conference's recent additions.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yes, they do. No one has dibs on that money unless the BE outlined that beforehand. I doubt they did. That money has always been pooled, not separated. This is why they are staying until 2015.

I just read that the Catholics want the name BE.

Pony up, that will cost you a ton of money!!
Link to that naming issue?

Reaction Score
"We" weren't actually comparing the tops of conferences: the OP made a laughable assertion about the relative strength of the conferences and I responded. But since the sandbox monitor has decided that what we are now doing is comparing the tops of the conferences, the Catholic conference is still better than ours. UConn is better than Georgetown, Marquette or Villanova. No other team in UConn's new conference is better than those three and you cannot point to a single piece of empirical evidence that would indicate otherwise. Cincinnati has made the NCAA tournament twice in the last seven years, Temple has won one NCAA tournament game in 11 years, and Memphis hasn't won any NCAA tournament games since John Calipari left.

Temple and Memphis are not playing bball inside the BE, which has its advantages. The bottom of the CYO is as bad as the bottom of the BE. There's no difference. Look at who our bottom schools are losing to so far this year. They are struggling with NJIT. Cincy has as much if not more history than all of the schools you mention, and a very enthusiastic fanbase for bball. But even better, going forward, the ACC is about the suck the talent away from all those Catholic schools. The ACC is going to be the best conference in the USA, and where once players were lured to the BE CYOs because of teams like UConn and Cuse and Louisville, those days are gone. Wake Forest and BC are going to be the benefactors now, along with other piddling ACC teams. UConn will be hurt by this too, but UConn is UConn. Temple never recruited at that level anyway so it likely won't bother them. Cincy may be effected because they dip into NYC quite bit. This won't bother Memphis at all because they compete in the south.[/quote]

I thought we were discussing the material world in which we all live and the actual events that occur there. I didn't realize that we are giving equal or greater weight to predictions of a future world that you are pulling out of your colon.

Should I be paying attention to who the bottom schools are losing to or who they are struggling against? I would argue that St. John's didn't struggle as much in their win against NJIT as you struggle hundreds of times a week attempting to make coherent arguments with fellow Bonetards. Do you actually think that kids go to play at Georgetown and Villanova because they want to play against Syracuse and Louisville? On what basis? And this phenomenon of wanting to play for schools because of their competition won't affect UConn because "UConn is UConn" and Memphis, a mediocre program on the downswing, doesn't have to worry about recruiting because they recruit in the south? You're like a tennis-ball cannon of illogic set on "rapid-fire".

As for Cincinnati, one trip the Sweet Sixteen in the last 12 years plus all the enthusiasm stickers you want to hand out to their fanbase don't outweigh the fact that Villanova and Georgetown have each made the Final Four within the last five years.

Reaction Score
Temple and Memphis are not playing bball inside the BE, which has its advantages. The bottom of the CYO is as bad as the bottom of the BE. There's no difference. Look at who our bottom schools are losing to so far this year. They are struggling with NJIT. Cincy has as much if not more history than all of the schools you mention, and a very enthusiastic fanbase for bball. But even better, going forward, the ACC is about the suck the talent away from all those Catholic schools. The ACC is going to be the best conference in the USA, and where once players were lured to the BE CYOs because of teams like UConn and Cuse and Louisville, those days are gone. Wake Forest and BC are going to be the benefactors now, along with other piddling ACC teams. UConn will be hurt by this too, but UConn is UConn. Temple never recruited at that level anyway so it likely won't bother them. Cincy may be effected because they dip into NYC quite bit. This won't bother Memphis at all because they compete in the south.

I thought we were discussing the material world in which we all live and the actual events that occur there. I didn't realize that we are giving equal or greater weight to predictions of a future world that you are pulling out of your colon.

Should I be paying attention to who the bottom schools are losing to or who they are struggling against? I would argue that St. John's didn't struggle as much in their win against NJIT as you struggle hundreds of times a week attempting to make coherent arguments with fellow Bonetards. Do you actually think that kids go to play at Georgetown and Villanova because they want to play against Syracuse and Louisville? On what basis? And this phenomenon of wanting to play for schools because of their competition won't affect UConn because "UConn is UConn" and Memphis, a mediocre program on the downswing, doesn't have to worry about recruiting because they recruit in the south? You're like a tennis-ball cannon of illogic set on "rapid-fire".

As for Cincinnati, one trip the Sweet Sixteen in the last 12 years plus all the enthusiasm stickers you want to hand out to their fanbase don't outweigh the fact that Villanova and Georgetown have each made the Final Four within the last five years.[/quote]

Thank you for your suckage

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well in a nice glimpse of our future conference SMU got blown out today by URI, not exactly one of the stronger teams in the A-10.

The Catholic league will be damned good and much much better than the pile of vomit UConn looks to be in. Hope that invite comes eventually.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Well in a nice glimpse of our future conference SMU got blown out today by URI, not exactly one of the stronger teams in the A-10.

The Catholic league will be damned good and much much better than the pile of vomit UConn looks to be in. Hope that invite comes eventually.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You really don't want to go there, do you? Because you haven't been watching so far if you think this is notable.

Villanova lost to Columbia. Columbia!!!!!!!!!! Another one of these vaunted schools went to OT with something called the Technological Institute of New Jersey! DePaul lost by double digits to Gardner-Webb! And to top it off, they threw one to awful West Kentucky. St. John's didn't want to be outdone, so they lost badly by 16 to San Francisco (not the 49ers) and by 15 pts to Murray State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom