The Carlton watch | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Carlton watch

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Josh will keep getting better. There was that play in the 2nd half where he fed the cutter (Vital?) for a lay-up. He saw the play before the cutter did.

Reaction Score
4 points, 11 rebounds, 2 blocks.

Josh is still moving in the right direction. He could have had a two or three more buckets but couldn't finish. Some of his fouls were a mystery to me.

One thing is clear. When he goes out, we become a complete donut.
I like the kid. I thought he regressed a little but has picked it up nicely. Id really like to see what he could do with another low post threat next to him who could rebound, block shots and score in the post. I think it opens things up for Josh even more. He could have a nice career by the time hes done here. I think the next two seasons he`s really going to help get this program moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
A lot of people have the "well, I wish Carlton could put up these numbers against better teams" argument, but I'd rather see consistency against weaker opponents and difficulty against stronger opponents than just all-around consistency, no matter who we play. Plus, those people forget that Carlton played very well against Cincy too.

If I'm a coach, at the end of the year I'm telling Carlton "remember those games you played great against ECU, Tulane and Wichita State? You keep this up, and you'll play like that against UCF, Houston and Cincy next season."

No, he's not our ideal starting center, but he's a good piece for this year and the next two.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Josh is flashing some old school back to the basket moves. Not many guys even use those anymore, most of them want to face up, hit jumpers and make explosive dunks. While that skill set is also helpful, it's not the way Josh is going to succeed.

He's going to need to keep working to get stronger, especially on defense and blocking out. But if he keeps improving his array of moves down low, he will score even against more talented front lines. He's playing old school basketball, and most players don't even really know how to defend it. We saw signs of offensive skill last year, but his D and rebounding were liabilities.

I'm very encouraged by this. A lineup with Gilbert, Vital, Boughknight and Gaffney who can all shoot from 3 (and Sid and Polley if they get more consistent) will either free up Josh or if they double him, will get a lot of clean looks outside. Add Akok to play that more athletic face-up post game and this team is going to be tough to defend.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Josh is flashing some old school back to the basket moves. Not many guys even use those anymore, most of them want to face up, hit jumpers and make explosive dunks. While that skill set is also helpful, it's not the way Josh is going to succeed.

He's going to need to keep working to get stronger, especially on defense and blocking out. But if he keeps improving his array of moves down low, he will score even against more talented front lines. He's playing old school basketball, and most players don't even really know how to defend it. We saw signs of offensive skill last year, but his D and rebounding were liabilities.

I'm very encouraged by this. A lineup with Gilbert, Vital, Boughknight and Gaffney who can all shoot from 3 (and Sid and Polley if they get more consistent) will either free up Josh or if they double him, will get a lot of clean looks outside. Add Akok to play that more athletic face-up post game and this team is going to be tough to defend.

Yes. Flashing is the best word.

He wasn’t traveling trying to do them yesterday either.

It was a good start

Reaction Score
I like the kid. I thought he regressed a little but has picked it up nicely. Id really like to see what he could do with another low post threat next to him who could rebound, block shots and score in the post. I think it opens things up for Josh even more. He could have a nice career by the time hes done here. I think the next two seasons he`s really going to help get this program moving in the right direction.

There is almost no chance this happens. Teams don't play with two posts anymore. Too many good shooters.

Reality is the 1v1 post up, no matter how good you are at it, is an inefficient shot in today's game.

I'm not as bought in as some coaches with the 3s and layups only trend (I think that ignores long rebounds off of jumpers), but it's still Hurley's goal.

Reaction Score

He's got the skills, it’s the confidence and strength that he needs. Hopefully the confidence continues to build through the end of the season. The strength is up to him but I really hope he commits to overhauling his body during the off-season.

the Q

Reaction Score
He's got the skills, it’s the confidence and strength that he needs. Hopefully the confidence continues to build through the end of the season. The strength is up to him but I really hope he commits to overhauling his body during the off-season.

I was wondering how much of his traveling was mental as well.

I’m hoping this is the start of a classic 2nd half breakout.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was wondering how much of his traveling was mental as well.

I’m hoping this is the start of a classic 2nd half breakout.

I really hate the way traveling is called. Any big with a minor shuffle gets called, but guards going to the rim get away with an extra step all the time. Guards also take steps as soon as they start to send the ball the floor, but before it gets there.

the Q

Reaction Score
I really hate the way traveling is called. Any big with a minor shuffle gets called, but guards going to the rim get away with an extra step all the time. Guards also take steps as soon as they start to send the ball the floor, but before it gets there.

You are preaching to the choir.

It’s laughbale how much wiggle guards get.

They are allowed 2 and even 3 steps at times. Even though the rule book doesn’t allow either

Reaction Score
Importantly, the development of Carlton can be used as proof that Hurley and staff can develop a big man and can use the bigs in the offense. The new staff had to prove this before they could be a real player with some highly rated bigs. This is just some of the baggage from the Ollie era that has to get tossed. Recent play has been a big step for both Carlton and the program

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Al, CV, Sid, Polley and Josh are our starting 5 next year. I think Danny liked what he saw out of those 5 in the second half yesterday

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Al, CV, Sid, Polley and Josh are our starting 5 next year. I think Danny liked what he saw out of those 5 in the second half yesterday

I think Akok will start. Whether Sid or Polley claims the 3 spot, or even Boughknight, remains to be seen. Every position on the court (except the 5 at the moment) is going to be competitive. They are going to be pushed.

Reaction Score
A lot of people have the "well, I wish Carlton could put up these numbers against better teams" argument, but I'd rather see consistency against weaker opponents and difficulty against stronger opponents than just all-around consistency, no matter who we play. Plus, those people forget that Carlton played very well against Cincy too.

If I'm a coach, at the end of the year I'm telling Carlton "remember those games you played great against ECU, Tulane and Wichita State? You keep this up, and you'll play like that against UCF, Houston and Cincy next season."

No, he's not our ideal starting center, but he's a good piece for this year and the next two.
Oh he's valuable for sure, and we are all encouraged, but he needs help pretty badly and only Hurley can get him that because it is not on the roster currently.

Reaction Score
I know the bar has been pretty low but;
Who was the last UConn big that was as good as Carlton?
Brimah probably defensively, but his lack of hands limited his rebounding and offense.
Certainly no one else in the AAC era. or the great desertion of 2012.
If he stays healthy he will be the first UConn big to average a double since Emeka.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If he stays healthy he will be the first UConn big to average a double since Emeka.

This is quite a stretch...he just posted his first career double-double yesterday, almost two years into his college career. Now he's going to average a double double?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is quite a stretch...he just posted his first career double-double yesterday, almost two years into his college career. Now he's going to average a double double?
Trend line!

Reaction Score
I know the bar has been pretty low but;
Who was the last UConn big that was as good as Carlton?
Brimah probably defensively, but his lack of hands limited his rebounding and offense.
Certainly no one else in the AAC era. or the great desertion of 2012.
Brimah didn't have a deep reserve of post moves, Carlton already has him edged there. But Brimah's ability to serve as a recipient of alley oops was super valuable - just watch @tcf_15's dunk compilations. That's not something Josh is capable of doing.

Reaction Score
You are preaching to the choir.

It’s laughbale how much wiggle guards get.

They are allowed 2 and even 3 steps at times. Even though the rule book doesn’t allow either
The game has shifted to be entirely focused on guards just like the NFL is entirely designed for the quarterback.

the Q

Reaction Score
The game has shifted to be entirely focused on guards just like the NFL is entirely designed for the quarterback.

That doesn’t mean you let them break the rules.

The rule book clearly says you can lift your pivot foot to only pass or shoot. Once it comes down, without that, that 2nd step is a travel.

Reaction Score
That doesn’t mean you let them break the rules.

The rule book clearly says you can lift your pivot foot to only pass or shoot. Once it comes down, without that, that 2nd step is a travel.
That's part of the way it's entirely shifted for the guards. They aren't going to change the travel rules because it would give an advantage to everyone they just let travels slide way more with guards than bigs. The NFL has actually chqnged the rules so the quarterbacks are nothing like every other player on the field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom