The Carlton watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Carlton watch

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
larrier was actually at the game against wichita. when they put the women's team up on the jumbotron, he was sitting with megan walker. pretty bizarre that he's not playing professionally anywhere, despite leaving a year "early."

He had a camp invite with the Mavs this year, but injured his ankle at the end of the summer. Mavs released him, and he's either recovering, or waiting to catch on somewhere new. Hard to jump in midseason anywhere unless you're a stud.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
larrier was actually at the game against wichita. when they put the women's team up on the jumbotron, he was sitting with megan walker. pretty bizarre that he's not playing professionally anywhere, despite leaving a year "early."

if hurley could have gotten him to play harder defense, he'd be putting up numbers for us right now...
Polley is basically a way worse version of him right now.

Reaction Score
He had a camp invite with the Mavs this year, but injured his ankle at the end of the summer. Mavs released him, and he's either recovering, or waiting to catch on somewhere new. Hard to jump in midseason anywhere unless you're a stud.

whelp, mavs don't need him now anyway. they have porzingis!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
whelp, mavs don't need him now anyway. they have porzingis!

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't making the team. Just an explanation why he isn't playing anywhere (that I know of) at the moment.

Reaction Score
Cobb doesn't play defense and commits dumb fouls. He gave us a spark early in the year, but he was never going to be the answer at the 5.
I can't remember Josh getting the ball on the blocks even once. Either he couldn't carve out space or they just didn't go inside. All his points came on put backs.

i do, one play he got it, tried to do a spin move through 2 defenders and got the ball stripped

Reaction Score
Cobb doesn't play defense and commits dumb fouls. He gave us a spark early in the year, but he was never going to be the answer at the 5.

The fact of the matter is we were more competitive then than we are now. Somebody was getting double doubles against better teams then for what ever reason. Now we're just hoping to get in the NIT. But whatever.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The fact of the matter is we were more competitive then than we are now. Somebody was getting double doubles against better teams then for what ever reason. Now we're just hoping to get in the NIT. But whatever.

I wouldn't say we were more competitive in those games than we are now. UCF is a good team and we played them tight on the road. Cincinnati is, along with Houston, the class of the conference and we took them to OT in their building (Cobb barely played). Cobb played great against Iowa, and we got destroyed. We've played two other current top 25 teams: Nova and FSU. Cobb didn't play against Villanova and we got blown out, but Yakwe played his minutes in that game and was maybe the only player on the team that showed up. Against FSU Cobb scored 3 points in 14 minutes and we played them pretty close. So he was essentially a non-factor in that game.

I don't think playing Eric Cobb is going to make much of a difference in what we're seeing on the court.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
i do, one play he got it, tried to do a spin move through 2 defenders and got the ball stripped

Carlton is not a guy to throw it into the post now. He needs to watch tape of senior year jameel Warney for how to use his body to score a lot

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Carlton can hit a mid-range jumper and have a face up game I think he'd be a better 4 than a 5. IMO he has a nice form and soft touch but needs to work on it. He's only a sophomore and I think he can work on his footspeed as well. He keeps trending in the right direction

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I can't remember Josh getting the ball on the blocks even once. Either he couldn't carve out space or they just didn't go inside. All his points came on put backs.
UCF did a great job denying him the ball. He was calling for it but never got it.

Reaction Score
Crucify me but I would like to see a lineup of Carlton, Cobb at 4, Wilson/Polley at 3, Gilbert and Jalen. Then you bring in CV to rest the starting guards. Cobb can pass, hit a 3 and rebound but he is not a 5 which is where we have been playing him. If Cobb and Carlton pick up fouls we would only have Whaley left to sub unless Diarra gets healthier. Against teams with size this would be worth a try IMHO.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One of the guys calling the game was marveling at Polley's defensive skills. My guess is he must usually do the play-by-play at bullfights.

I heard that and guffawed at the TV.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Crucify me but I would like to see a lineup of Carlton, Cobb at 4, Wilson/Polley at 3, Gilbert and Jalen. Then you bring in CV to rest the starting guards. Cobb can pass, hit a 3 and rebound but he is not a 5 which is where we have been playing him. If Cobb and Carlton pick up fouls we would only have Whaley left to sub unless Diarra gets healthier. Against teams with size this would be worth a try IMHO.

Cobb can't even defend mobile 5s, he would get absolutely torched if he played the 4.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's a Top 100 player because of his athleticism and length. Rankings are based on projections of what could be. Not necessarily who's the best, most fundamentally sound basketball player.

He's got huge upside. We all knew he was a bit raw in certain skillsets.

Bear in mind, the kid's got 14 collegiate games under his belt. If we are talking minutes alone, he's got roughly 8-10 games.

It’s amazing that people don’t get this. Only the top handful of guys have elite athleticism plus elite skill. The rest are lacking somethung. If you bring in elite athletes, you have to coach them up. If you bring in guys with advanced BB IQ, awareness and overall skill levels, they have a lower ceiling.

Sid is clearly in the need to be coached up category. I am little disappointed because he did have last year to practice. Didn’t gain much it seems.

Reaction Score
The guy had already been in college like 8 years and graduated despite having a year of eligibility left. It is weird though. I don’t think he’s getting paid to play on any level right now and he’s still dating Megan Walker on the women’s team.
What a shame. I remember how good he looked briefly for us before injuring his knee. He had explosiveness, length and interest from a lot of NBA scouts. He wasn’t the same guy afterwards. I completely forgot about him as well.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
4 points, 11 rebounds, 2 blocks.

Josh is still moving in the right direction. He could have had a two or three more buckets but couldn't finish. Some of his fouls were a mystery to me.

One thing is clear. When he goes out, we become a complete donut.
I was behind our bench with a close clear view.When our boys came down our way the second half, you would of seen those mystery calls worse. Polley was called for a foul. His fingertips were on the guys back. Pitiful.
AND, it wasn't Teddy Valentine calling the majority of the fouls.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hurley disagrees. He thinks we should throw it inside to Josh every third or fourth possession.

If you can get him the ball in good position sure.

But he also wasn’t doing much creating on his own today.

Reaction Score
Carlton is 59th in the country in offensive rebound %, 57th in block %, and 125th in 2-point %. I’m not saying he’s Emeka Okafor, but he’s a solid player who has improved a lot. He looked great today. ECU was very physical with him, but it wasn’t successful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom