The Carlton watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Carlton watch

Reaction Score
How dumb is Larrier for leaving? He wudda helped so much this year. I always forget about him

Reaction Score
I can't remember Josh getting the ball on the blocks even once. Either he couldn't carve out space or they just didn't go inside. All his points came on put backs.

There were a couple times where he posted up wanting the ball but smith passed the ball on the perimeter. Probably because Carlton didn’t seem to have great position.

Reaction Score
He's a Top 100 player because of his athleticism and length. Rankings are based on projections of what could be. Not necessarily who's the best, most fundamentally sound basketball player.

He's got huge upside. We all knew he was a bit raw in certain skillsets.

Bear in mind, the kid's got 14 collegiate games under his belt. If we are talking minutes alone, he's got roughly 8-10 games.

Wilson had that nice drive early that showed what he can do. I think playing him out of position at the 4 isn't helping him at all. He's often over-matched physically. It highlights how we lack any depth at the 4 & 5. Even with that, he has a lot of work to do on the defensive end. But he does seem like the kind of guy that makes a very nice 3 if he can add/improve his mid-range jumper. And he should slide over to the 3 next year with Akok and Polley (hopefully beefed up) serving as stretch 4's.

Reaction Score
If this is the case, we are screwed.

Not in the least. We need a good backup, but I think Carlton will be an above average AAC big next year. He's shown a much more physical and effective style over the past several games. Players take time to develop, especially bigs, and Carlton's developing. As others have pointed out, the bigger question is what happens at the 4.

Reaction Score
Wilson had that nice drive early that showed what he can do. I think playing him out of position at the 4 isn't helping him at all. He's often over-matched physically. It highlights how we lack any depth at the 4 & 5. Even with that, he has a lot of work to do on the defensive end. But he does seem like the kind of guy that makes a very nice 3 if he can add/improve his mid-range jumper. And he should slide over to the 3 next year with Akok and Polley (hopefully beefed up) serving as stretch 4's.

The most frustrating thing about Sid is how uncomfortable he looks. Sometimes he shoots bad midrange shots not because he’s selfish but because he doesn’t know what else to do. He has ability to put ball on the floor but most of the time he’s too hesitant. Then on offense, too often he’s just standing in the corner and doesn’t seem to really want the ball. With his athleticism and talent you would think he would play with more confidence but his demeanor is more like Polley last season, who was so hesitant.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There were a couple times where he posted up wanting the ball but smith passed the ball on the perimeter. Probably because Carlton didn’t seem to have great position.

He had good position a few times but the guards were in no position to get him the ball.

Can’t even get that In Synch. Just a frustrating time.

Reaction Score
We do not have a player on the roster who is a starting 4 on a NCAA tournament team. That's the biggest problem right now.

Reaction Score
3 guards is ok but would love to have a larger, real 3 and a much better 4. Just nothing to show at the 4 and Wilson has a ways to go to be a 3 or a 4, for now not a ver good basketball player.

Josh had another good game he's fine. Tough match up to score, had his chances had misses but the 11 boards tells me he's toughening up which is the biggest steps he's taken and they're huge.

We win that game with Gilbert nonetheless.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Cobb had that brutal sequence where he hedged out too far/hard committed a foul then gave up an and 1 a minute later. Not good
He got beat for the board leading to the and1 too

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How dumb is Larrier for leaving? He wudda helped so much this year. I always forget about him
The guy had already been in college like 8 years and graduated despite having a year of eligibility left. It is weird though. I don’t think he’s getting paid to play on any level right now and he’s still dating Megan Walker on the women’s team.

Reaction Score
Don’t know if you even give Emeka the ball on the block against Tacko Fall.

UCF is a matchup nightmare for us. Their 3-5 steal our lunch money and then sit on us while they eat it. They’re HUGE.

Ps. Very hard to beat a team 3 times in a row, so the AAC tourney could have a great opportunity waiting...

The way things are going, we may be 0-2 against a lot of the teams above us so we'll have plenty of "third" games in the tournament and thus an excellent chance to win it all!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not in the least. We need a good backup, but I think Carlton will be an above average AAC big next year. He's shown a much more physical and effective style over the past several games. Players take time to develop, especially bigs, and Carlton's developing. As others have pointed out, the bigger question is what happens at the 4.

We have a good back in Carlton. We need a good starter. A guy who'll challenge for All-AAC team*. We're a very bad team right now. We want to be a very good team. Can you imagine Carlton starting on one of the Top 15 teams? I can't.

*I recognize we aren't getting that guy next year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Yes, totally agree. Especially with his current build. I think I mentioned the same before, but if I didn't, I should have.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wilson and Polley were atrocious. Lack of production out of the 4 spot is killing us.
I swear it's just killing us. Other teams kill is in the paint at the 4.

Wilson should not be playing at the 4. He needs to be on the wing full time. Akok can't get here fast enough.

3 guards is ok but would love to have a larger, real 3 and a much better 4. Just nothing to show at the 4 and Wilson has a ways to go to be a 3 or a 4, for now not a ver good basketball player.

I don't disagree with that, but he would look a lot better on the wing consistantly full time. He's just not a down low guy (at his current size/skillset).

Having Akok and him on the floor at the same time next year will pay dividends.

the Q

Reaction Score
Wilson should not be playing at the 4. He needs to be on the wing full time. Akok can't get here fast enough.

I don't disagree with that, but he would look a lot better on the wing consistantly full time. He's just not a down low guy (at his current size/skillset).

Having Akok and him on the floor at the same time next year will pay dividends.

I agree. Give can play 3 guards when 1) one of them can rebound and defend like vital, and/or 2) you can get real size at the 4, or at least enough that you can get the d and rebounding out of it you need.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree. Give can play 3 guards when 1) one of them can rebound and defend like vital, and/or 2) you can get real size at the 4, or at least enough that you can get the d and rebounding out of it you need.

I'm also psyched about the length/rebounding of a Wilson/Akok pairing. Provided Wilson makes the soph leap I expect him to.

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm also psyched about the length/rebounding of a Wilson/Akok pairing. Provided Wilson makes the soph leap I expect him to.

It would have to be a heck of a leap. He’s been atrocious offensively.

Ironically he and Whaley are two of our best defenders.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It would have to be a heck of a leap. He’s been atrocious offensively.

Ironically he and Whaley are two of our best defenders.

As I said above, he's 8-10 games into his college career minutes-wise. I'm kinda surprised people have been crushing a kid so early on.

Reaction Score
Josh had his chances tonight. He was in position to make plays and now he just needs to come through more often. A good 4 would help a lot. He should be a good player his last 2 years.
Agree! a good 4 would open things up for carlton. he is steadily improving and showing more confidence. the guards are doing a better job looking to give him the ball inside. there will be better looks for a 3 when our 5 becomes a factor

Reaction Score
Cobb is one of/ if not the worst defensive center to ever wear a UConn uniform. That lazy non existence box out on the missed free throw and an atrocious defensive play in the interior that led to a layup are prime examples why his playing time plummeted

Why do you think he was recruited to replace Enoch?

the Q

Reaction Score
As I said above, he's 8-10 games into his college career minutes-wise. I'm kinda surprised people have been crushing a kid so early on.

I’m certainly not picking up a shovel yet, just showing how far he has to go.

Reaction Score
The guy had already been in college like 8 years and graduated despite having a year of eligibility left. It is weird though. I don’t think he’s getting paid to play on any level right now and he’s still dating Megan Walker on the women’s team.

larrier was actually at the game against wichita. when they put the women's team up on the jumbotron, he was sitting with megan walker. pretty bizarre that he's not playing professionally anywhere, despite leaving a year "early."

if hurley could have gotten him to play harder defense, he'd be putting up numbers for us right now...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom