The Black Hole of Sports | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Black Hole of Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This. MLS has made huge strides over the years, but it is still nowhere close to top tier soccer. You can't judge soccer's popularity on MLS ratings.

English Premier League ratings average 414,000 against basically no sport competition when they are aired. To say that soccer or NHL is any threat to overtake MLB in U.S. is absurd. Especially considering baseball revenue was a record $9 Billion in 2014, up 13% from year before.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Baseball is alive and thriving in Pittsburgh. Wasn't but 6-7 years ago when you'd find 8K in the stands and if they were wearing team colors, it was a Steelers jersey.

Not now. And plenty of desired demographics in the stands and watching on one screen or another.

Regarding some of baseball's issues, it's become a regional sport. There are no "national" teams anymore, thus the decline in WS ratings, which on a whole, is fairly meaningless. If it weren't for the NHL, MLB would be considered the worst major league for promoting its stars. But owners print money. MLB Advanced Media has done a great job creating mobile revenue streams. And MLB "The Show" is constantly a top selling video game.

As far as young blacks not being interested, Andrew McCutchen is gonna fix that for you.

Just keep the DH away from the NL and the sport will be fine.

Otherwise, I'll watch US Open and Wimbledon finals, the Majors and the occasional soccer or rugby game. But summer is for being outside. Or at PNC Park.

And for me, the dead time is between the WS and start of UConn hoops. I turned my back on the NFL a few years ago, no regrets.

Reaction Score
Actually Nishikori beat Djoker in last year's US Open semis. Stan beat Djoker in last year's Aussie Open quarters on his way to the title.
Yup, knew I should have looked it up.

Reaction Score
This. MLS has made huge strides over the years, but it is still nowhere close to top tier soccer.

Over 41 million tickets were sold to minor league baseball games in 2013. Is that top tier baseball?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Yup, knew I should have looked it up.
Hah, I watch way too much tennis. At this point it's probably my 2nd favorite sport after college basketball.

Reaction Score
English Premier League ratings average 414,000 against basically no sport competition when they are aired. To say that soccer or NHL is any threat to overtake MLB in U.S. is absurd. Especially considering baseball revenue was a record $9 Billion in 2014, up 13% from year before.
Baseball's revenue #'s last year is deceiving and is just a bandaid for it's problems.

Reaction Score
Hah, I watch way too much tennis. At this point it's probably my 2nd favorite sport after college basketball.
I love tennis, it doesn't seem as popular as it was when I was a kid, probably due to the lack of good Americans. Fed, Nadal and Djoker are as good as it gets.

Reaction Score
Over 41 million tickets were sold to minor league baseball games in 2013. Is that top tier baseball?

42.4 million tickets bought in 2014, third highest total ever,

Baseball's revenue #'s last year is deceiving and is just a bandaid for it's problems.

obviously. 2014, Record revenues, # 7 all time in MLB attendance, #3 all time minor league attendance. It's over.

Reaction Score
I'd wager that there is a big divide regarding the perception of baseballs popularity between demographics. Everybody understands that baseball is a sport watched primarily by older, white people at this point, but I don't get the sense that everybody understands just how diminished the sport's presence has become among the 15-25 crowd. In many regions in the northeast, baseball has fallen behind not only soccer, but lacrosse as well.

Me, I'll still watch baseball, but not nearly as much as I used to. Basketball and football are my favorite sports, but I have grown to love hockey in recent years. I think if ESPN promoted the NHL like they did the other sports, it would surpass baseball relatively quickly. It is a great sport that has some of the same problems baseball is having, but I think the fast-paced nature of the sport makes it more equipped to gain popularity moving forward.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I love tennis, it doesn't seem as popular as it was when I was a kid, probably due to the lack of good Americans. Fed, Nadal and Djoker are as good as it gets.
The lack of any good Americans since Sampras and Agassi has probably hurt the sport in the US, but I think the Williams sisters along with the greatness of Fed/Rafa have helped evened things out to a degree.

Nadal and Federer are probably the 2 greatest players of all time, and Djoker is already top 10, and will arguably end up top 5 of all time. And Serena is the greatest ever in the women's game. It is certainly a golden age in tennis that we probably won't see again for a long time (if ever).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The lack of any good Americans since Sampras and Agassi has probably hurt the sport in the US, but I think the Williams sisters along with the greatness of Fed/Rafa have helped evened things out to a degree.

Nadal and Federer are probably the 2 greatest players of all time, and Djoker is already top 10, and will arguably end up top 5 of all time. And Serena is the greatest ever in the women's game. It is certainly a golden age in tennis that we will probably won't see again for a long time (if ever).
Agreed

Reaction Score
If baseball and the MLB are declining, then what do you consider the NHL? Yes it's been in our face the past few weeks, but the regular season is brutally boring. I watched every second of every Rangers playoff game, but watched maybe 7/82 regular season games. If you want to take your weird vendetta to a sport, don't point it at my pastime! ;)

On the baseball/soccer argument, I grew up playing baseball, and followed the Yanks harder than anything. I missed maybe 75-100 of their ~1200 games from 2005-2013. Now, due to college and having a life/job, I catch about 60% of their games. However, soccer is quickly catching up. I discovered it in 2010, and by 2014 I was all in. It's now 3rd place, by a large margin both ways, in which sports I follow the hardest (MLB, CBB, FIFA, NFL, NBA, etc). Still, when I try to talk sports with friends, the vast majority know baseball a helluva lot better than soccer. It is no doubt on a swift rise, but maybe not with as much celerity as you'd like.

Reaction Score
If baseball and the MLB are declining, then what do you consider the NHL? Yes it's been in our face the past few weeks, but the regular season is brutally boring. I watched every second of every Rangers playoff game, but watched maybe 7/82 regular season games. If you want to take your weird vendetta to a sport, don't point it at my pastime! ;)

On the baseball/soccer argument, I grew up playing baseball, and followed the Yanks harder than anything. I missed maybe 75-100 of their ~1200 games from 2005-2013. Now, due to college and having a life/job, I catch about 60% of their games. However, soccer is quickly catching up. I discovered it in 2010, and by 2014 I was all in. It's now 3rd place, by a large margin both ways, in which sports I follow the hardest (MLB, CBB, FIFA, NFL, NBA, etc). Still, when I try to talk sports with friends, the vast majority know baseball a helluva lot better than soccer. It is no doubt on a swift rise, but maybe not with as much celerity as you'd like.
I doubt anyone has a vendetta against a sport, I used to love baseball but as I've gotten older I find it more boring. I don't see how some people don't recognize there are problems facing baseball. Baseball used to be America's pastime but that time has long since passed. America is crazy about football and the big four sports have always been football, baseball, basketball and hockey a way distant fourth. It's very similar to tennis with Federer, Nadal, Djokovic with Murray a way distant fourth.

Reaction Score
I doubt anyone has a vendetta against a sport, I used to love baseball but as I've gotten older I find it more boring. I don't see how some people don't recognize there are problems facing baseball. Baseball used to be America's pastime but that time has long since passed. America is crazy about football and the big four sports have always been football, baseball, basketball and hockey a way distant fourth. It's very similar to tennis with Federer, Nadal, Djokovic with Murray a way distant fourth.
Fair enough. There are definitely issues; for every friend I can have a good conversation about baseball with, I have one that considers the game too boring to be worth their time. I for one don't see that, because I appreciate all the little nuances that are involved in every single pitch. To most people, and even the casual fan, there's just not enough action. They have tried to correct these issues, and the speed up rules this season have been a good start.

Reaction Score
I'm sure you mean revenue. So, MLB teams (singular) are signing multi-BILLION dollar deals for their broadcast rights, and you see this as a counter to my argument?
Yes, meant revenue. TV execs always pay too much for TV rights and teams are always overvalued. Just look at the TV deal the NBA signed last year for $24 billion, more than three times per year than the previous contract. Also look at Ballmer buying the Clippers for 2 billion, now every franchise sticker just went way up. As for ratings there is no denying that nationally things are declining, six of the last seven World Series have been the lowest.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Baseball isn't dying - it's actually doing rather well.

Ratings are terrific on regional networks even if national games are seeing the same kind of viewership declines that even the NFL is beginning to suffer. They sold about 74M tickets last year and revenue is growing at a very healthy rate. (Baseball is much less reliant on national television money than is, say, the NFL - baseball gets less than 10% of their revenue from the national networks, so claiming that their revenue is a function of television's overly optimistic deal-making is basically bunk.)

If you took the NBA's revenue and added it to the NHL's revenue and then threw in MSL and the CFL, you'd basically have baseball.

Reaction Score
Golf and baseball kinda - but the dead period started a long time ago for me, like after the Huskies season ended. The hockey playoffs keep me alive until the Lightning took out my Rangers and now it's hope the Yankees continue to use smoke and mirrors to somehow stay near the top of the east, although it's still not all that exciting since heating became so relevant.

3 majors makes golf worth while, especially Chambers Bay coming up real soon. That course is so unlike a US Open course it should be a fun watch. I wonder if an American can win on a European type venue?

But really October 15th or whenever practice begins can't get here fast enough.

Tennis? I get watching tennis is great but tennis to me is like women's golf. Are we ever going to have an American worthy of competing at that high of a level again or are we accepting we suck?

Reaction Score
I love the guys who passionately try to convince you that NOW soccer is REALLY gaining popularity in the US. Beckham signed here! Freddy Adu is the future!

Americans are never, ever, ever going to fall for this sport, it's flopping and their 1-0, 1-1, 0-0 scores.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The only demographic MLB is losing ground in is grade school kids. And baseball is not unique in that trend.

When I was a third grader, most of the boys had favorite teams in baseball and football, and actively followed them. Any sports talk immediately brought many participants.

That kind of thing only happens if you mention Minecraft these days.

Reaction Score
anyone watching the women's world cup? I watched some of the colombia vs mexico game the other day, and it's just bad...

I love soccer, but I still can't even get myself to watch most of the women's games. With the exception of maybe 3 or 4 teams it's just terrible

I disagree. You watched 2 of the worst teams. Typically I tend to think women's college soccer is unwatchable, but I have been shocked at how good these women are. Even Canada v Korea was played at a veery high level. The best team to my eyes is Brazil. They play a much better game than US college men's game, with the skill levels similar though at a slower level for the women. I've only watched 4 games tho.

Reaction Score
The only demographic MLB is losing ground in is grade school kids. And baseball is not unique in that trend.

When I was a third grader, most of the boys had favorite teams in baseball and football, and actively followed them. Any sports talk immediately brought many participants.

That kind of thing only happens if you mention Minecraft these days.

Back to the lacrosse thing, I just don't get the madness around this sport. Are we going to see pro leagues on TV in primetime in 20-30 years when I'm an old man?

and back to the start of the post, I know it already started but I'll be watching Ninja Warrior as it goes, that's kind of a sport...

Baseball is definitely losing steam, when I was a kid 15-20 years ago, in my town basically everyone played baseball and half or a bit more played soccer. I don't know if it is always a regional thing, so if a town has a huge baseball league kids are more likely to just join since all the other kids are talking about it and signs are on the street, but I really hope that basketball remains popular.

More than baseball, hockey, most other athletic things, if you have a bit of driveway and a hoop and ball, you can entertain yourself all alone. If you live near a court, all you need is a ball, its such a great way to pass the time while getting your heart rate up.

Reaction Score
I don't feel that the problems with baseball are inherent to the major league game on the field. I feel that...

1) To play it as a kid, you have formal leagues like Babe Ruth and Little League but those are maybe 10 games a year for most kids. A neighborhood of kids today just doesn't gather in groups of 18-22 on an open field and play baseball for an afternoon anymore. Helicopter parenting doesn't let the kids take off for the day and kids are now involved in a ton of things. My daughter plays lacrosse, competes in gymnastics, is in Girl Scouts, plays an instrument in the band and is in a townwide chorus. When I was her age, I played Little League. That's it.

2) When I was 11? We had 3 channels. I watched the NBC Game of the Week on Saturday and TWIB before it......well, because there were no other games to watch. I think I have about 1,000 cable channels and my daughter follows all these "YouTubers" and their "channels" now. The general interest of any kid is just sprayed over a wider area.

Reaction Score
I'd wager that there is a big divide regarding the perception of baseballs popularity between demographics. Everybody understands that baseball is a sport watched primarily by older, white people at this point, but I don't get the sense that everybody understands just how diminished the sport's presence has become among the 15-25 crowd. In many regions in the northeast, baseball has fallen behind not only soccer, but lacrosse as well.

Me, I'll still watch baseball, but not nearly as much as I used to. Basketball and football are my favorite sports, but I have grown to love hockey in recent years. I think if ESPN promoted the NHL like they did the other sports, it would surpass baseball relatively quickly. It is a great sport that has some of the same problems baseball is having, but I think the fast-paced nature of the sport makes it more equipped to gain popularity moving forward.
As an early 20-something who grew up in Fairfield County and lives in NYC, I can say this is just patently false in my experience. Not one person I know has ever told me about going to or watching a lacrosse game and although there are quite a few friends of mine who are soccer fanatics (and tell EVERYONE about it), they're still heavily outweighed by baseball fans, though I will say that on average, the smaller number of soccer fans are much more diehard than the baseball fans. Total numbers though, it's not even in the same ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom