The Big East Tournament is thriving | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Big East Tournament is thriving

Reaction Score
A question for my fellow UConn fans:
Why does anyone answer poster “zissou” ?

If you ignore him he may leave. Let’s hope. Thanks

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Not if you kept football in the AAC.

You’re dumb.

Fishy might be on to something here.

The AAC isn’t going to give UConn money to keep their football team in the league when they will have just spurned them by moving everything else to the Big East. Out of all the ridiculous ideas you have come up with here, this is the most ridiculous one of the bunch.

Reaction Score
As regards the almighty Big East vs AAC basketball, perhaps one needs to look at the 2019 NCAA results to date to clear their visions a bit: Big East 1 win and four losses with no one remaining. AAC 3 wins and 3 losses. with one team remaining.

Reaction Score
As regards the almighty Big East vs AAC basketball, perhaps one needs to look at the 2019 NCAA results to date to clear their visions a bit: Big East 1 win and four losses with no one remaining. AAC 3 wins and 3 losses. with one team remaining.
or look a the last 5 years

Reaction Score
But Villanova...I think...could be pretty good next year.

Great recruiting (three 5 stars in class)...only thing missing are Bigs.

And they will open up their season with closed scrimmages against UNC and Virginia...jump right in and test yourself with the big boys.

Seton Hall will have a great rim protector next season. Ike Obiago, a 7 foot shot blocking machine, transferred after a freshman season at FSU and sat out a year.

He averaged a block every five minutes on the floor (had 7 vs Boston College)....raw on offense but great timing on shot blocking.

Reaction Score
But Villanova...I think...could be pretty good next year.

Great recruiting (three 5 stars in class)...only thing missing are Bigs.

And they will open up their season with closed scrimmages against UNC and Virginia...jump right in and test yourself with the big boys.

Seton Hall will have a great rim protector next season. Ike Obiago, a 7 foot shot blocking machine, transferred after a freshman season at FSU and sat out a year.

He averaged a block every five minutes on the floor (had 7 vs Boston College)....raw on offense but great timing on shot blocking.

I agree the big is critical.

In the 2016 title run we had Ochefu playing at a high level.

In 2017, Omari Spellman (5 star) had to sit as the NCAA didn't like his 8th grade private school transfer. That cost us the 3-peat.

The 2018 title run was one of the, if not the most, dominant of all time. Omari was key.

We had 4 drafted players last year that all had eligibility remaining - Brunson, Bridges, Divencenzo, & Spellman (3 years remaining). With only Spellman staying we still would have had the balance in the front court.

Next year Jeremiah Robinson-Earl will fill that big role, and Bryan Antoine adds to the 5 star back court. Add Justin Moore and Eric Dixon and we have a great Freshman class.

Nova should be good for a long time.

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
I agree the big is critical.

In the 2016 title run we had Ochefu playing at a high level.

In 2017, Omari Spellman (5 star) had to sit as the NCAA didn't like his 8th grade private school transfer. That cost us the 3-peat.

The 2018 title run was one of the, if not the most, dominant of all time. Omari was key.

We had 4 drafted players last year that all had eligibility remaining - Brunson, Bridges, Divencenzo, & Spellman (3 years remaining). With only Spellman staying we still would have had the balance in the front court.

Next year Jeremiah Robinson-Earl will fill that big role, and Bryan Antoine adds to the 5 star back court. Add Justin Moore and Eric Dixon and we have a great Freshman class.

Nova should be good for a long time.

As long as Jay Wright is there, Nova will be a force. College sports are so coach dependent that even the best programs will flounder once a great coach leaves. Michigan fans were looking forward to the day that Lloyd Carr left so they could upgrade to a “modern” offense. Everybody saw how that has turned out.

The issue here is that one program doesn’t make a conference great. While Nova has been extraordinarily great the past few years, the rest of the Big East has been extraordinarily mediocre at best. They also suffer from a lack of recognition. Being from the Midwest, I have no clue how many teams are even in the Big East. I can name Nova, St. John’s, Georgetown and Providence off of the top of my head and the only reason I know Providence is in the Big East is my BiL is an alum. That’s it. Three of those four teams I named have not been good recently, at least that’s been my perception. Compared to the ACC and the Big10, the Big East as a whole has been down right bad.

I hope the Big East becomes more than Nova and everybody else before Jay Wright leaves. The more great conferences we have, the better off we fans are.

Reaction Score
Unfortunaly Sec and acc teams have tons of money to spend and they dont care. It is near impossible to compete against that.

Reaction Score
As long as Jay Wright is there, Nova will be a force. College sports are so coach dependent that even the best programs will flounder once a great coach leaves. Michigan fans were looking forward to the day that Lloyd Carr left so they could upgrade to a “modern” offense. Everybody saw how that has turned out.

The issue here is that one program doesn’t make a conference great. While Nova has been extraordinarily great the past few years, the rest of the Big East has been extraordinarily mediocre at best. They also suffer from a lack of recognition. Being from the Midwest, I have no clue how many teams are even in the Big East. I can name Nova, St. John’s, Georgetown and Providence off of the top of my head and the only reason I know Providence is in the Big East is my BiL is an alum. That’s it. Three of those four teams I named have not been good recently, at least that’s been my perception. Compared to the ACC and the Big10, the Big East as a whole has been down right bad.

I hope the Big East becomes more than Nova and everybody else before Jay Wright leaves. The more great conferences we have, the better off we fans are.

If you're a hoops fan from the Midwest, I'm surprised you don't know Marquette, Creighton, Butler, and Xavier as Big East. Seton Hall is an original member, but I can see forgetting them.

NCAA Bids:

OaE5G9I.png

Reaction Score
In the minds of 99.9% of the general sports watching public The Big East will forever be about the days of Uconn, Cuse, Gtown, Pitt, St Johns and others battling it out in MSG. Right now the conference is Villanova and bunch of schools that nobody except their alums care about or can even list.

Reaction Score
In the minds of 99.9% of the general sports watching public The Big East will forever be about the days of Uconn, Cuse, Gtown, Pitt, St Johns and others battling it out in MSG. Right now the conference is Villanova and bunch of schools that nobody except their alums care about or can even list.

They really got some bad advice when they did not choose a new name for the conference. It's like remaking a movie for the 4th or 5th time and changing the story line at the end. You have to re brand yourself. The title doesn't fit the story line anymore.

dayooper

Reaction Score
If you're a hoops fan from the Midwest, I'm surprised you don't know Marquette, Creighton, Butler, and Xavier as Big East. Seton Hall is an original member, but I can see forgetting them.

NCAA Bids:

OaE5G9I.png

I know every single one of those schools. I know where most of them are located at. I even played against Butler their last year as a DII school in the MIFC (defunct football arm on the GLIAC). Here’s the thing, though. I don’t remember any of those schools joining the Big East. They just don’t register to me as Big East schools. To be honest with you, if it weren’t for Villinova’s success the past few years, I wouldn’t know that they were in the Big East. They could have been in the Atlantic 10 for all I remember.

The Big East to me will always be St. John’s, Georgetown, Cuse, BC, Miami, UConn and Pitt. That’s what I remember. Georgetown and St. John’s have fallen off the map for me too. I know you will feel differently, but once the football schools left or were kicked out, my awareness on the Big East dropped off to zero. I used to love watching John Thopmson’s Hoyas battle ‘Cuse and UConn. It was must see. Now? I couldn’t tell you when a Big East team is playing, let alone actually watching them.

College basketball needs the Big East to be a strong, deep conference, pure and simple. There needs to be a recognizable basketball conference that isn’t a P5 powerhouse. The Big East and the AAC are really the only conferences able to carry the torch. Right now, they are not. Bids are one way of assessing strength, but I believe advancement once you get in is an even stronger criteria. Now I could be wrong here, but take away Nova and the Big East has struggled getting into the second weekend lately. For the betterment of college basketball, the Big East needs to be much better than they are now.

Reaction Score
We better not write off Buffalo for anything. If UConn doesn't get its house in order soon in men's BB and football, if there is an opening in the B10 or even the ACC, Buffalo could be a contender for the spot. They are member of AAU, a near requirement for B10, they have decent demographics for conference channels, located in a huge state, and sometimes they are competitive in sports.

Reaction Score
2019 BIG EAST Championship Caps Banner Attendance Week

The four sellouts in five sessions during the championship week are a first for the BIG EAST Conference.

The 2019 BIG EAST Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament – presented by Jeep – brought in nearly 100,000 fans over the tournament’s four-day run in New York City, with a total of 98,782. The tournament averaged 19,756 per session over the course of the week, and filled Madison Square Garden to 99.7 percent capacity.
I'm still trying to figure out why is a Villanova fan is trying to get a state University into a conference of Catholic schools! Big East is not going to make BB better. We need to get into either the Big Ten or the ACC, but I still think the ACC would accept a community college in Idaho before they invite us...

Reaction Score
We better not write off Buffalo for anything. If UConn doesn't get its house in order soon in men's BB and football, if there is an opening in the B10 or even the ACC, Buffalo could be a contender for the spot. They are member of AAU, a near requirement for B10, they have decent demographics for conference channels, located in a huge state, and sometimes they are competitive in sports.
Which is why they don't fit in the Big East.

Reaction Score
The obvious answer is buffalo is going to be chosen in addition to UConn to resolve the contiguous states thing.
Cant wait

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out why is a Villanova fan is trying to get a state University into a conference of Catholic schools! Big East is not going to make BB better. We need to get into either the Big Ten or the ACC, but I still think the ACC would accept a community college in Idaho before they invite us...

The Big East is a basketball-first conference. Butler isn't Catholic.

Of course UConn would take the ACC or Big Ten as the money is winning the lottery and it lands your football program. The problem is you don't get invited, so it's not a real option.

Reaction Score
The Big East is a basketball-first conference. Butler isn't Catholic.

Of course UConn would take the ACC or Big Ten as the money is winning the lottery and it lands your football program. The problem is you don't get invited, so it's not a real option.

While not Catholic, it did start as a Christian college ("North Western Christian University") and fits well with the other new Big East school in terms of size (4,500 student), urban (fringe area of Indianapolis) and historically a basketball school in a basketball-mad region. Thus, they are a good fit.

UConn as a State flagship university with 32,500 undergraduate students local in a rural area (due to agricultural roots like Penn State, Michigan St. Virginia Tech, etc.) and a major (D-1A) football team does not.

Reaction Score
While not Catholic, it did start as a Christian college ("North Western Christian University") and fits well with the other new Big East school in terms of size (4,500 student), urban (fringe area of Indianapolis) and historically a basketball school in a basketball-mad region. Thus, they are a good fit.

UConn as a State flagship university with 32,500 undergraduate students local in a rural area (due to agricultural roots like Penn State, Michigan St. Virginia Tech, etc.) and a major (D-1A) football team does not.

There are differences, sure, but also commonality and a shared history. We could emphasize either.

We could also make the case that UConn is more like UMass than the institutions you listed. Both New England Flagships trying to remake an identity. Unlike Penn State and Michigan State, not AAU. No long history of big time athletic success, although UConn is new money in basketball under 1 iconic coach and looking to rebuild.

Butler and Northwestern both started with religious affiliations. Maybe the Big 10 will take Nova as another private, less than 10,000 undergrad school. They can solidify the Philadelphia market. lol, I know I'm sounding like a UConn dreamer. Our place is in the Big East, sharing a home with the Sixers, competing in Madison Square Garden in March, and contending for championships. It's not P5 money, but it's a nice home with continuing Big East tradition.

Reaction Score
Nova is a niche school in a boutique league....great fit.

But, pretty soon, Nova could be another Loyola Chicago...an interesting occasional provision of tournament "color" as a Cinderella piece to write about.

Before the big boys take over the elite eight and final four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom