The Big East Tournament is thriving | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Big East Tournament is thriving

TJT

Reaction Score
That is great for the Big East. This is not what we need to focus on, now!! We need to encourage the new president and governor to start the process of rebuilding UConn men's BB and FB programs. If necessary start with a task force that includes Jim Calhoun and some college football bigwig, maybe who works for ESPN or NBC Sports and lives in the state, and others -- I like the idea of Lou Holtz and Kevin Gilbride. Another member may be former President John Casteen who was also UVA president. The task force should issue a report soon with specific goals and a plan how to get there. It should get the governor's and Republican's blessings and explain why the success of UConn sports is essential to the success of the state's economy. The rebirth of UConn sports needs to start soon, as we also support the new president's plan to double federal research dollars. (I would hope for triple.) Ned Lamont mentioned he would like to see UConn in ACC -- during the campaign. Let's hold him to his campaign promise!!!

You seem to have your priorities way out of whack. The Governor and the rest of CT state government should be focusing on the local economy, transportation, education, and state budget issues. The success of UConn athletics should not be their concern. Improving athletics at UConn is the responsibility of the administrators in Storrs.

Reaction Score
You seem to have your priorities way out of whack. The Governor and the rest of CT state government should be focusing on the local economy, transportation, education, and state budget issues. The success of UConn athletics should not be their concern. Improving athletics at UConn is the responsibility of the administrators in Storrs.
I assume you know Virginia Tech got into the ACC after pressure from then Gov. Mark Warner. Virginia Tech's unique journey to the ACC :: WRALSportsFan.com And Baylor Texas Tech got into B12 after then Gov. Ann Richards "made it clear that UT-Austin and A&M would face dire consequences if they didn’t take Baylor and Tech with them to their new conference." Inside UH's Political Push to Join the Big 12

Reaction Score
Big East History. Phil Booth this year is an all time great on the list of great MVPs. Only 4 MVPs are from teams that didn't win the BET - the Pearl, Alonzo, Victor Page, and Jonny Flynn.

There are legends that are not on this list. A.I. and Ray Allen are first to come to mind.

Only 3 two-time winners - Josh Hart, Peyton Silva, and Patrick

Craig Shelton, GU
Leo Rautins, SU
Eric Floyd, GU
Chris Mullin, St. John's
Patrick Ewing, GU
Patrick Ewing, GU
Dwayne Washington, SU
Reggie Williams, GU
Sherman Douglas, SU
Charles Smith, GU
Chris Smith, UConn
Oliver Taylor, SH
Alonzo Mourning, GU
Terry Dehere, SH
Michael Smith, PC
Kerry Kittles, VU
Victor Page, GU
Scoonie Penn, BC
Khalid El-Amin, UConn
Kevin Freeman, UConn
Bootsy Thornton, SJU
Troy Bell, BC
Caron Butler, UConn
Julius Page, Pitt
Ben Gordon, UConn
Hakim Warrick, SU
Gerry McNamara, SU
Jeff Green, GU
Sam Young, Pitt
Jonny Flynn, SU
Da'Sean Butler, West Virginia
Kemba Walker, UConn
Peyton Siva, Louisville
Peyton Siva, Louisville
Bryce Cotton, Providence
Josh Hart, Villanova
Isaiah Whitehead, SH
Josh Hart, Villanova
Mikal Bridges, Villanova
Phil Booth, Villanova
So what’s your point. Surely you’re not suggesting that today’s BE comes close to the OBE? Look, we get it. Nova’s now the big fish in the smaller pond NBE. But again, the vacuum that was created lifted you guys over the top & somewhat resurrected PC, SJU, & the Hall. If the OBE was still intact, i seriously doubt that would be the case.
In any case, i guarantee you, the OBE would dominate both ratings and attendance. Nationally.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe we don't have as much national appeal. Maybe our nationally televised games aren't between other ESPN broadcast games. The Big East is still thriving, when many of you believed the Requiem for the Big East had already been written.

The Big East hasn’t been seeded this poorly in the NCAA tournament in 30 years.

The headwinds are start to take their toll. It really is just Nova, Georgetown’s corpse and then a bunch of mid-majory programs.

Reaction Score
The Big East hasn’t been seeded this poorly in the NCAA tournament in 30 years.

The headwinds are start to take their toll. It really is just Nova, Georgetown’s corpse and then a bunch of mid-majory programs.

Fans of the Big East and the AAC are passengers on board the Lusitania and Hindenburg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fans of the Big East and the AAC are passengers on board the Lusitania and Hindenburg

Life outside of the P5 is a terminal illness.

The Big East's future looks a lot like the Atlantic 10 back in the day.

The entire Big East should take out a life insurance policy on Jay Wright because he has been the only thing between them and the abyss.

Reaction Score
Nova’s now the big fish in the smaller pond NBE. But again, the vacuum that was created lifted you guys over the top

We have done well in the smaller conference pond, and in the NCAA Ocean. You can dismiss the conference, but the Nattys?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No one ever has to apologize for a national title. Except Jim Boeheim...that 2003 title was ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Watch the NCAA tourney games today and tomorrow. Count how many of the games are sold out. Then come back here and continue to bang your head against the wall about the importance of sold-out arenas.
Looked like a good turnout at the XL for Nova tonight!

Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament may be thriving. But the Big East certainly isn't in the NCAA's!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big East has shat the bed.

The second best team in the Big East might be Seton Hall.

That’s not good.

Reaction Score
All I know is if I'm Villanova I'm talking to the acc for a way out. Some bad seasons by nova, and you know the rest of the dwarves aren't doing anything,and the big east is out the first day and a mid major going forward

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Looked like a good turnout at the XL for Nova tonight!

More importantly, how did Atlantic 10 schools draw? That's the real true measuring stick, I heard.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
All I know is if I'm Villanova I'm talking to the acc for a way out. Some bad seasons by nova, and you know the rest of the dwarves aren't doing anything,and the big east is out the first day and a mid major going forward

There are literally dozens of schools that the ACC would consider before even thinking about Villanova. ACC has a network now and if/when they add anyone, it will be solely based on eyeballs potential.

Reaction Score
More importantly, how did Atlantic 10 schools draw? That's the real true measuring stick, I heard.

Any conference, even high schools, would fill up arenas in NYC. Except the Big East did, and the A10 didn't.

Only TV matters, watch how the first round doesn't fill arenas. Then Nova fills YOUR arena.

Maybe any tournament would fill the XL. Except UConn hosted the AAC there and couldn't fill it.

Keep talking in circles, Dooley.

th

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Only TV matters, watch how the first round doesn't fill arenas. Then Nova fills YOUR arena.

Vermont had double the fans Villanova did.

Reaction Score
Vermont had double the fans Villanova did.
Another Flagship university from New England.

The building was full. What more do you want? Concessions?

Reaction Score
ACC for Nova? Nope.

Villanova does not have the home attendance in football to be a ACC team...or a Div. I team.

They averaged less than 5,000 at Villanova Stadium in 2017...

Reaction Score
ACC for Nova? Nope.

Villanova does not have the home attendance in football to be a ACC team...or a Div. I team.

They averaged less than 5,000 at Villanova Stadium in 2017...

Agreed

Reaction Score
(Don't tell him that.) He's having too much fun desperately trying to troll us when nobody here cares about him or Villanova or the Big East.

Trolling you? No.

Promoting the Big East as an option for UConn? Yes.

Pushing back against your ridiculous statements? Sure, why not.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Trolling you? No.

Promoting the Big East as an option for UConn? Yes.

Pushing back against your ridiculous statements? Sure, why not.

You absolutely can stop.

I promise you - UConn is not even in the orbit of considering a return to the Big East.

If it ever happens, both of us will be a whole lot older than we are now and it will mean that things have gone very, very poorly for all of the schools involved.

Reaction Score
You absolutely can stop.

I promise you - UConn is not even in the orbit of considering a return to the Big East.

If it ever happens, both of us will be a whole lot older than we are now and it will mean that things have gone very, very poorly for all of the schools involved.
I'm a UConn to Big East guy and realize it probably won't happen. But if it were to happen it would probably be in the next few years.

Reaction Score
You absolutely can stop.

Maybe time for a throat punch?

Reaction Score
I'm a UConn to Big East guy and realize it probably won't happen. But if it were to happen it would probably be in the next few years.
Nope - there’s likely going to be another round of conference realignment that takes place in the 2020s, and then the ripple effects will happen for a few years after. Hopefully UConn will land on its feet and in a power conference when that happens, though I’m certainly not holding my breath.

If UConn ever starts seeking a return to the Big East, it probably means they had to drop football along the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom