The B1G adding Rutgers & Maryland could be a major problem when cable dies. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The B1G adding Rutgers & Maryland could be a major problem when cable dies.

Reaction Score
That 2017 Maryland NCAA Women's lacrosse championship? 23-0. Fluke.

The 14 conference trophies in the last 2 years (tied with Michigan for best). Michigan should be ashamed to a let a low-budget Maryland team slip in there.

Maryland Womens' #4 Cap One Cup ranking... Best in the ACC and Big Ten.

In the Cap One rankings, your could argue that the ACC men hold a slight advantage, while the Big Ten dominates on the Women's side. Thank your conference partner, Notre Dame, for making it close.

http://www.capitalonecup.com/docs/complete-capital-one-cup-standings.pdf

Lesser competition?
Maryland winning Women's Lacrosse Championships isn't much of a fluke. They have something like 20 of them. If Michigan is excited about having that in the league, feature women's lacrosse more on the BTN. Debbie Yow built Maryland into a women's sports power. Show more of women's sports on the Big Ten channel if you want to watch women's sports. I'm sure Maryland fans would like that.

I don't see what you're talking about regarding Big Ten dominating women's sports. That is not a traditional focus for the Big Ten. Outside of Maryland I can't find who else is doing it. I don't even see Notre Dame at all in the Women's Sports standings. Since Women's Lacrosse is a Group B sport in the Capital One Cup, winning it gives Maryland 60 of their 75 points. Good enough for 4th place. Over in the Director's Cup the 200 points from men's and women's Lacrosse puts Maryland into the top 50. They'll probably finish in the top 50. They were in a baseball regional as well.

Reaction Score
Maryland winning Women's Lacrosse Championships isn't much of a fluke. They have something like 20 of them. If Michigan is excited about having that in the league, feature women's lacrosse more on the BTN. Debbie Yow built Maryland into a women's sports power. Show more of women's sports on the Big Ten channel if you want to watch women's sports. I'm sure Maryland fans would like that.

I don't see what you're talking about regarding Big Ten dominating women's sports.

I tossed in some heavy sarcasm there.

In the top 25 on the women's side of the Cap One, there are 7 Big Ten schools and 3 ACC schools (Notre Dame being one). ND has been doing well lately, football notwithstanding.

The Big Ten is typically fairly deep. The mid tier will beat you if you have an off day.

Reaction Score
I'm sure FSU and Clemson fans will appreciate the pity while they all walk around with Football National Champions t-shirts from the past 4 years, and those Duke and North Carolina fans will do the same with NCAA Men's Basketball Champions t-shirts from the past 3 years. It may let them get over losing the ACC football championships. They will have to settle for ACC Coastal Division Champions shirts. The Frankenstein Monster has put the two like institution groups in the back seat in this decade. The diversity is what gives the ACC its strength. Diversity in public vs private. Diversity in North vs South geography. Diversity in large vs small. It's what enables the ACC to win national championships across a wide variety of sports competition: football, basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, golf, cross country, field hockey, track & field, etc. and even have a member who wins in ice hockey outside the league. Those of us inside the league like the diversity and will enjoy the trophies while accepting pity from the outside.

The sports that Maryland has been racking up Big Ten Championships are sports the ACC is strong in, and Maryland put together strong programs in those to compete in the ACC. Now that they have moved to lesser competition in their new league, they are dominating in those in that new league. It should not be surprising. Either the Big Ten will catch up to Maryland, or Maryland will fade to Big Ten competition levels. The Big Ten has improved in lacrosse. We'll have to see about the others.

Wow do you actually believe this tripe? Nothing you wrote in this dissertation changes the fact that Clemson and FSU belong in The SEC, the "diversity" which you believe makes The ACC Great is what also makes it potentially vulnerable, and UMD didn't have to put together teams to compete with The ACC as only UNC had more national or conference championships in conference than they did. If anything your schools needed to do a better job competing with them. As for your humble brag about all the national titles The ACC wins across a multitude of sports save that for someone else. Color me not impressed.

Top 25 All Time Team National Championships
B1G- 7 Schools
ACC-2 Schools

Stretch it to top 50 and it gets worse. The B1G gets to 11 Schools before The ACC gets to 3 including their half brother Notre Dame. Add Uconn to The B1G and that number jumps to 12. Add Texas or Oklahoma and it would be embarrassing.

Reaction Score
So Rutgers and Northwestern are like the rest of the B1G? There's no bigger loser in college sports than Rutgers.

The fact that Rutgers is terrible at the majority of sports doesn't change the fact that their profile as a large land grant university with quality academics is a match to 12 out of 13 of the other members of the conference. Northwestern much like Vandy in The SEC is the one outlier.

Reaction Score
While the ACC is somewhat of a Frankenstein, schools like UNC for example don't fit either the B1G or SEC perfectly. UNC is not a huge land grant & has no plans to be a large 50,000 plus campus. In many ways UNC operates like a private school

UNC is The ACC. That is where they belong. While some fans daydream about The Heels in The B1G or The SEC, They are in the best situation for them.

Reaction Score
Wow do you actually believe this tripe? Nothing you wrote in this dissertation changes the fact that Clemson and FSU belong in The SEC, the "diversity" which you believe makes The ACC Great is what also makes it potentially vulnerable, and UMD didn't have to put together teams to compete with The ACC as only UNC had more national or conference championships in conference than they did. If anything your schools needed to do a better job competing with them. As for your humble brag about all the national titles The ACC wins across a multitude of sports save that for someone else. Color me not impressed.

Top 25 All Time Team National Championships
B1G- 7 Schools
ACC-2 Schools

Stretch it to top 50 and it gets worse. The B1G gets to 11 Schools before The ACC gets to 3 including their half brother Notre Dame. Add UConn to The B1G and that number jumps to 12. Add Texas or Oklahoma and it would be embarrassing.
Not only believe it. I'm watching it play out. Throwing B1G national championship numbers out is like the Ivy League claiming the most football national championships. They have the most. But when you have to go back 50 years to find them, what difference does it make? Same with the B1G.

Reaction Score
Not only believe it. I'm watching it play out..

Then please do us the favor of supporting your claims so we can use numbers you might find pertinent when responding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom