The B1G adding Rutgers & Maryland could be a major problem when cable dies. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The B1G adding Rutgers & Maryland could be a major problem when cable dies.

Reaction Score
What does UMD's all time record against FSU in football have to do with the stats that the poster listed? I won't bother to look it up, but I'd wager most ACC Members outside of Miami have a ****** all time record against FSU in football. UMD's head to head record with FSU in one sport doesn't discredit the stats he listed or change the fact that UMD has a very strong all around athletic department.

While true that Maryland's record against Florida St. in football was atrotious, they have held their own and more against Florida St. in other sports. Billybud has mentioned the football record many times before. Rufus post clearly did not say football only, so I'm assuming Billybud's post wasn't made to challenge Rufus's post, but rather another opportunity to take a pointless cheap shot. Just like it would be if I stupidly and inappropriately posted Maryland's record against Florida St. in other sports countless times on a UConn board.

Reaction Score
I have always hated having Maryland on the football schedule....a non game. I am consistent in that feeling.

When you mention Maryland, that is the thought that most Noles have right off the bat. First and foremost.

It may anger some...but most FSU guys did not like Maryland on the schedule. It is what it is.

Basketball, at FSU, has seldom been a sport that has been competitive in the ACC.

Football is the driver sport down here..FSU doesn't even sport a men's soccer team nor lacrosse teams. Or wrestling, field hockey etc.

Baseball? Who keeps track of over all baseball records? The only thing that I remember about Maryland and baseball is that it was at Maryland that the all time record for home runs was set...at any level, high school, college, or pro.

Marshall McDougall hit six home runs and had 16 RBI's and 25 total bases in a nine inning game at Maryland. All NCAA records. It has a place in our lore.

Glad that Maryland is having success in men's soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey....

Reaction Score
In fairness to the Maryland basketball fan...they probably weren't thrilled with playing FSU (8-25 against the Terps) either.

Reaction Score
I have always hated having Maryland on the football schedule....a non game. I am consistent in that feeling.

When you mention Maryland, that is the thought that most Noles have right off the bat. First and foremost.

It may anger some...but most FSU guys did not like Maryland on the schedule. It is what it is.

Basketball, at FSU, has seldom been a sport that has been competitive in the ACC.

Football is the driver sport down here..FSU doesn't even sport a men's soccer team nor lacrosse teams. Or wrestling, field hockey etc.

Baseball? Who keeps track of over all baseball records? The only thing that I remember about Maryland and baseball is that it was at Maryland that the all time record for home runs was set...at any level, high school, college, or pro.

Marshall McDougall hit six home runs and had 16 RBI's and 25 total bases in a nine inning game at Maryland. All NCAA records. It has a place in our lore.

Glad that Maryland is having success in men's soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey....

Until Clemson woke from their near 30 year slumber and decided to play football again, FSU was the biggest outlier in all of college athletics. Sports you clearly don't care about such as basketball, soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey all matter to the majority of both old guard ACC Members, and to the majority of the new additions as well. That original member UMD values those sports and has historically been pretty good at them should be no surprise. What their H2H Football Record against FSU had to do with this discussion is something only you'll understand I guess.

Reaction Score
UMD will also make far more $$$ in the B1G than FSU can ever make in the ACC.

Reaction Score
So will Rutgers....

The Big 12 members also make more money than FSU, Duke, UNC, etc.

When they give championships out for revenue...Texas will win the NC every year.

But FSU does bring in more athletic department revenue than the majority of Big Ten teams....

Reaction Score
Until Clemson woke from their near 30 year slumber and decided to play football again, FSU was the biggest outlier in all of college athletics. Sports you clearly don't care about such as basketball, soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey all matter to the majority of both old guard ACC Members, and to the majority of the new additions as well. That original member UMD values those sports and has historically been pretty good at them should be no surprise. What their H2H Football Record against FSU had to do with this discussion is something only you'll understand I guess.

Ldandy...there is a sports divide in the ACC...the "old guard" that you mentioned versus some others...the southernmost group.

FSU, Clemson, Miami, and GT do not have men's soccer, nor do they field lacrosse or field hockey teams...so, little to no interest in those NCAA sports.

Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and other SEC schools also do not offer men's soccer, or lacrosse or field hockey....there is a regional difference in sports and their emphasis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ldandy...there is a sports divide in the ACC...the "old guard" that you mentioned versus some others...the southernmost group.

FSU, Clemson, Miami, and GT do not have men's soccer, nor do they field lacrosse or field hockey teams...so, little to no interest in those NCAA sports.

Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and other SEC schools also do not offer men's soccer, or lacrosse or field hockey....there is a regional difference in sports and their emphasis.
Clemson does have a men's soccer team but your overall point is true in that you have schools with a broad based athletic philosophy similar to the P12 & football centric schools more like the SEC

Reaction Score
In fairness to the Maryland basketball fan...they probably weren't thrilled with playing FSU (8-25 against the Terps) either.

First of all I have no problem with my team play different levels of competition, but that is completely beside the point. Even if it were true, I wouldn't pollute another school's board and choose irrelevant times to make the point for the umpteenth time. Your talking points might be appropriate on a Florida St., but I don't think I'm going out on a limb in guessing that you had to be told by fellow Noles fans to turn it down a few notches.

Reaction Score
Way out on a limb...wrong there.

FSU guys still bag on Maryland's awful football.

Reaction Score
Clemson does have a men's soccer team but your overall point is true in that you have schools with a broad based athletic philosophy similar to the P12 & football centric schools more like the SEC

LOL......My bad...I meant to say that Clemson had a men's soccer team but no field hockey...

Yes...the southernmost ACC teams are more akin to the SEC than they are to Tobacco Road re AD philosophy.

Some do not realize that part of the tension that built up around 2012 was caused by that split among the ACC.

Reaction Score
Way out on a limb...wrong there.

FSU guys still bag on Maryland's awful football.

I'm sure they do, but once again, you completely missed the point. It's more about how to conduct oneself on a board like this. My guess is you are just as clueless there as well.

Reaction Score
If the subject is Maryland...what does a UConn board have to do with Maryland's record in the Big 10?

I guess I can see a link.

If someone brags about Maryland's success in such sports as soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey...sports non existent in some of the deep south schools...and a ACC poster basically responds that football is the el supremo index to these southern schools...does this have anything to do with UConn?

Maybe it it does now and has in the past.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If the subject is Maryland...what does a UConn board have to do with Maryland's record in the Big 10?

I guess I can see a link.

If someone brags about Maryland's success in such sports as soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey...sports non existent in some of the deep south schools...and a ACC poster basically responds that football is the el supremo index to these southern schools...does this have anything to do with UConn?

Maybe it it does now and has in the past.

This is a conference realignment board. There is talk of what may happen in the world of CR. The article this thread started on was based on the fact that, due to the way sports is being broadcast, the Big10 may have made a mistake in bringing in Rutgers and Maryland. The changing media impacts who potentially could be added. This is completley involves UConn as they are looking to get into a better conference and their basketball tradition and media market are their tickets. Their athletic success, both in the ACC and the Big10 were discussed, albeit briefly. The article even said that Marylands athletic department is horrible and this was a rebuttal to that point. Bringing up their issues in football was a valid point.

What doesn't involve UConn is your repeated boasting how great FSU football was against Maryland and how much you loathed playing them. You are flinging your poo in someone else's house. You don't continue an arguemet with your wife in someone else's house. You also don't go eat at someone's house and say your cooking is way better than theirs, even though it might be. It's rude and annoying. This is UConn's house, not FSU's or Maryland's. If the natives are telling you to cool it, than be respectful and do as they ask.

Reaction Score
LOL.My bad...I meant to say that Clemson had a men's soccer team but no field hockey...

Yes...the southernmost ACC teams are more akin to the SEC than they are to Tobacco Road re AD philosophy.

Some do not realize that part of the tension that built up around 2012 was caused by that split among the ACC.

I think most people who even casually follow college athletics understand why both the ACC and Big 12 have consistently come up as targets in conference realignment. Unlike The B1G and SEC, two conferences composed almost entirely of like institutions with similar academic and athletic departments, The ACC is a cobbled together Frankenstein's Monster with many differing academic/athletic visions. The 2017 ACC is essentially The Old Big East + The Legacy ACC + FSU. Over the last few years Clemson has drifted away from Tobacco Road to be more in line with The Noles. On some level I feel bad for FSU and Clemson Fans who's schools are in every way SEC Programs stuck in The ACC. That said I'm sure they don't hate b*** slapping a Duke or North Carolina in their conference championship game instead of having to square off with Alabama or LSU for a shot at the playoff.

Reaction Score
I think most people who even casually follow college athletics understand why both the ACC and Big 12 have consistently come up as targets in conference realignment. Unlike The B1G and SEC, two conferences composed almost entirely of like institutions with similar academic and athletic departments, The ACC is a cobbled together Frankenstein's Monster with many differing academic/athletic visions. The 2017 ACC is essentially The Old Big East + The Legacy ACC + FSU. Over the last few years Clemson has drifted away from Tobacco Road to be more in line with The Noles. On some level I feel bad for FSU and Clemson Fans who's schools are in every way SEC Programs stuck in The ACC. That said I'm sure they don't hate b*** slapping a Duke or North Carolina in their conference championship game instead of having to square off with Alabama or LSU for a shot at the playoff.

So Rutgers and Northwestern are like the rest of the B1G? There's no bigger loser in college sports than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I'm sure FSU and Clemson fans will appreciate the pity while they all walk around with Football National Champions t-shirts from the past 4 years, and those Duke and North Carolina fans will do the same with NCAA Men's Basketball Champions t-shirts from the past 3 years. It may let them get over losing the ACC football championships. They will have to settle for ACC Coastal Division Champions shirts. The Frankenstein Monster has put the two like institution groups in the back seat in this decade. The diversity is what gives the ACC its strength. Diversity in public vs private. Diversity in North vs South geography. Diversity in large vs small. It's what enables the ACC to win national championships across a wide variety of sports competition: football, basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, golf, cross country, field hockey, track & field, etc. and even have a member who wins in ice hockey outside the league. Those of us inside the league like the diversity and will enjoy the trophies while accepting pity from the outside.

The sports that Maryland has been racking up Big Ten Championships are sports the ACC is strong in, and Maryland put together strong programs in those to compete in the ACC. Now that they have moved to lesser competition in their new league, they are dominating in those in that new league. It should not be surprising. Either the Big Ten will catch up to Maryland, or Maryland will fade to Big Ten competition levels. The Big Ten has improved in lacrosse. We'll have to see about the others.

Reaction Score
While the ACC is somewhat of a Frankenstein, schools like UNC for example don't fit either the B1G or SEC perfectly. UNC is not a huge land grant & has no plans to be a large 50,000 plus campus. In many ways UNC operates like a private school

dayooper

Reaction Score
I'm sure FSU and Clemson fans will appreciate the pity while they all walk around with Football National Champions t-shirts from the past 4 years, and those Duke and North Carolina fans will do the same with NCAA Men's Basketball Champions t-shirts from the past 3 years. It may let them get over losing the ACC football championships. They will have to settle for ACC Coastal Division Champions shirts. The Frankenstein Monster has put the two like institution groups in the back seat in this decade. The diversity is what gives the ACC its strength. Diversity in public vs private. Diversity in North vs South geography. Diversity in large vs small. It's what enables the ACC to win national championships across a wide variety of sports competition: football, basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, golf, cross country, field hockey, track & field, etc. and even have a member who wins in ice hockey outside the league. Those of us inside the league like the diversity and will enjoy the trophies while accepting pity from the outside.

The sports that Maryland has been racking up Big Ten Championships are sports the ACC is strong in, and Maryland put together strong programs in those to compete in the ACC. Now that they have moved to lesser competition in their new league, they are dominating in those in that new league. It should not be surprising. Either the Big Ten will catch up to Maryland, or Maryland will fade to Big Ten competition levels. The Big Ten has improved in lacrosse. We'll have to see about the others.

The biggest asset to the ACC, IMO is the East Coast location. They have the largest population base with the greatest mix of sports. They have very well positioned schools in recruiting hotbeds for many sports. FSU will always be tough in football. They sit in the catbirds seat in a great recruiting ground with in state competition from really only one other power, Florida. UNC and Duke will always be tough in basketball. They can attract the top coaches and will pay to keep them. Virginia is an Olympic sports monster because they sit right in the middle of so many great recruiting areas for lacrosse, soccer and even baseball.

I give the ACC power schools as much credit as I can for staying great in their respective sports. They do this in spite of being a public/private, large/small and football/basketball Frankenstein conference. Having powers in the two major revenue sports is a big help, but the conference is very top heavy.

I do believe that ESPN plays a large role in their success. ESPN has chosen the ACC over the Big12 and they are running with it. They are promoting the ACC and will force them to succeed.

dayooper

Reaction Score
While the ACC is somewhat of a Frankenstein, schools like UNC for example don't fit either the B1G or SEC perfectly. UNC is not a huge land grant & has no plans to be a large 50,000 plus campus. In many ways UNC operates like a private school

I agree whole heartedly. While I believe UVA would fit in great with the Big10, they fit best where they are at now. In fact, the school ACC school I think fit the Big10 the best is Virginia Tech. I think UConn, Kansas, Oklahoma and even Texas would also fit well in the Big10, better than any ACC school this side of VT.

Reaction Score
Now that they [Maryland] have moved to lesser competition in their new league, they are dominating in those in that new league. It should not be surprising.

That 2017 Maryland NCAA Women's lacrosse championship? 23-0. Fluke.

The 14 conference trophies in the last 2 years (tied with Michigan for best). Michigan should be ashamed to a let a low-budget Maryland team slip in there.

Maryland Womens' #4 Cap One Cup ranking... Best in the ACC and Big Ten.

In the Cap One rankings, your could argue that the ACC men hold a slight advantage, while the Big Ten dominates on the Women's side. Thank your conference partner, Notre Dame, for making it close.

http://www.capitalonecup.com/docs/complete-capital-one-cup-standings.pdf

Lesser competition?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Look at @btstimpy all representing and what not.
Well played.

Reaction Score
This is UConn's house, not FSU's or Maryland's. If the natives are telling you to cool it, than be respectful and do as they ask.

One would think that a military man, with a profile post that reads "Sitting at the table doesn't make you a diner, unless you eat some of what's on that plate," would understand that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom