The ACC is worse off without Maryland than the other way around - Washington Post | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The ACC is worse off without Maryland than the other way around - Washington Post

Reaction Score
There’s no question that the ACC is weaker and more compromised without Maryland.

Have you see what Louisville has been up to since they got into the ACC?

They’re a crime spree masquerading as a community college.

Plus the ACC now has a gaping hole in their footprint that goes from Virginia to Boston. Adding a few zip codes in Kentucky doesn’t change the math there.
A crime spree masquerading as a community college.. That's funny...

Reaction Score
Regional rivalries are what drives fan interest and attention IMO. It's important to have them and to promote them in both cases. Both sides tune in to follow what the rival side is doing. BC's DeFilippo didn't think that important, but I think he's wrong. I don't think BC can represent all of New England. Louisville does have theirs, and I think they value it and get mileage out of it.
Regional rivalries are what drives fan interest and attention. This point is too often missed in CR.

Reaction Score
Maryland is worse off - no rivalries.
ACC is worse off. Add Ville to UNC and Cuse, and there goes the neighborhood.

The B1G is better off with Maryland, but they also took Rutgers, so overall the B1G is worse off.

Reaction Score
Maryland is worse off - no rivalries.
ACC is worse off. Add Ville to UNC and Cuse, and there goes the neighborhood.

The B1G is better off with Maryland, but they also took Rutgers, so overall the B1G is worse off.

Yeah it sucks for schools like Iowa, Minnesota and Wisonsin to get additional exposure in the largest media market in te world. That and cashing 50 million dollar checks. Yep The Rutgers addition was a real killer.

Reaction Score
Yeah it sucks for schools like Iowa, Minnesota and Wisonsin to get additional exposure in the largest media market in te world. That and cashing 50 million dollar checks. Yep The Rutgers addition was a real killer.
If you read the media out there in Minnesota land, they're not seeing that the extra dollars in the check are worth it. They want the Midwest conference they are used to. Not much interest in being in the east at all. In fact more complaints.

Muddled Big Ten basketball schedule a result of Jim Delany's meddling

Rutgers, Maryland so wrong for Big Ten

Rutgers has been embarrassment since being added to Big Ten

It will be interesting to see if the fans leave the Midwest in droves to attend the basketball tournament in New York. They didn't in Washington, DC last year.

Big Ten hoops tournament attendance craters on East Coast | 2017-03-14 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

Reaction Score
Rutgers has been such an embarrassment that a prominent figure privately stated that he wonders if the Big Ten presidents wish they can have a do-over and choose UConn instead. :D

Reaction Score
If you read the media out there in Minnesota land, they're not seeing that the extra dollars in the check are worth it. They want the Midwest conference they are used to. Not much interest in being in the east at all. In fact more complaints.

Muddled Big Ten basketball schedule a result of Jim Delany's meddling

Rutgers, Maryland so wrong for Big Ten

Rutgers has been embarrassment since being added to Big Ten

It will be interesting to see if the fans leave the Midwest in droves to attend the basketball tournament in New York. They didn't in Washington, DC last year.

Big Ten hoops tournament attendance craters on East Coast | 2017-03-14 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

Cry me a river. What fans want doesn't mean jack. I'm sure Minnesota's AD is not complaining when they are cashing their conference pay out check. Nobody expects Minnesota or Iowa fans to travel in numbers to Jersey, Maryland or wherever on the East Coast. It doesn't change the fact that it is a great benefit for the athletic teams and universities to get exposure there. The academics also enjoy the benefits of associating with two additional high caliber universities. Conferences are a compromise. Nobody gets everything that they want. Do you think given the choice that Florida State Fans would want to be in a conference with Boston College or Syracuse?

Reaction Score
NYC is all a buzz when Minnesota plays at Rutgers. The city empties into NJ for the spectacle.

Reaction Score
NYC is all a buzz when Minnesota plays at Rutgers. The city empties into NJ for the spectacle.

I'd tell you that what you wrote has nothing to do with what I posted, but you already knew that.

Reaction Score
I'd tell you that what you wrote has nothing to do with what I posted, but you already knew that.

IMO, Rutgers is not a great path to the NYC media market. Notre Dame would be a better path to the NYC market.

Since you were replying to me with your statement, I'll be more direct and less sarcastic.

"Yeah it sucks for schools like Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin to get additional exposure in the largest media market in the world."

My opinion is that Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin do not get great exposure to the NYC Media Market through Rutgers. I hope that is clear enough to connect the dots to your original reply.

I'll stand by my original statement (to which you replied):
"The B1G is better off with Maryland, but they also took Rutgers, so overall the B1G is worse off".

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
IMO, Rutgers is not a great path to the NYC media market. Notre Dame would be a better path to the NYC market.

Since you were replying to me with your statement, I'll be more direct and less sarcastic.

"Yeah it sucks for schools like Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin to get additional exposure in the largest media market in the world."

My opinion is that Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin do not get great exposure to the NYC Media Market through Rutgers. I hope that is clear enough to connect the dots to your original reply.

"The B1G is better off with Maryland, but they also took Rutgers, so overall the B1G is worse off".

Ehh . . . Rutgers is a net neutral. There are quite a few Big10 alumni in NYC, it give them an oppurtunity to see games and donate money. As far as exposure goes, Michigan, OSU and PSU playing Rutgers does bring a lot of exposure which, in turn, brings a degree of exposure to the rest of the Big10. It's all about association. Is it worth it? I really don't know since I'm stuck here in the freaking tundra that is Michigan the past few weeks. It is to the alumni that live in the area.

Rutgers athletics has been pretty rough, but they do spark a glimmer of hope every now anger again. Their record doesn't show it, but their bball team looks improved. They took MSU into overtime last week. Then they got hammered by OSU. Who knows?

Reaction Score
With Rutgers, which is the upside? Basketball or Football?

dayooper

Reaction Score
With Rutgers, which is the upside? Basketball or Football?

Are talking exposure or teams. I think that football always will give the best exposure for the Big10, no matter market. Athletically, they have. The most potential in football just because of the talent in the state. Not sure Ash is the guy to get the job done.

Reaction Score
Are talking exposure or teams. I think that football always will give the best exposure for the Big10, no matter market. Athletically, they have. The most potential in football just because of the talent in the state. Not sure Ash is the guy to get the job done.
I just see them historically bad in both, and not bringing much to the B1G. Penn State was a get. Nebraska, yes. Maryland, sure.
Rutgers?

dayooper

Reaction Score
I just see them historically bad in both, and not bringing much to the B1G. Penn State was a get. Nebraska, yes. Maryland, sure.
Rutgers?

They were most definitely not taken for athletics. They were taken for their market assets and alumni location (as was Maryland, but they at least have some basketball and football tradition). They do the job they were intended for: provide exposure in the NYC corridor, give the many Big10 alumni a game to go to every other year (many PSU, UM, OSU and Indiana alumni in the NYC area) and be in a great football recruiting area. Football will be a tough go in the Big10 East with four very good teams.

As far as being horrrible in sports, each division has to have teams at the bottom. As far as a doormat goes, you can't get much better than being the flagship school in a state of 9 million people in the largest market in the US. Yes, I would prefer a UConn over Rutgers, but I don't get to make that call and I understand why the Big10 did.

Reaction Score
They were most definitely not taken for athletics. They were taken for their market assets and alumni location (as was Maryland, but they at least have some basketball and football tradition). They do the job they were intended for: provide exposure in the NYC corridor, give the many Big10 alumni a game to go to every other year (many PSU, UM, OSU and Indiana alumni in the NYC area) and be in a great football recruiting area. Football will be a tough go in the Big10 East with four very good teams.

As far as being horrrible in sports, each division has to have teams at the bottom. As far as a doormat goes, you can't get much better than being the flagship school in a state of 9 million people in the largest market in the US. Yes, I would prefer a UConn over Rutgers, but I don't get to make that call and I understand why the Big10 did.

I just think they missed the boat. Like picking up NIU if want to claim the Chicago market.

Reaction Score
I just think they missed the boat. Like picking up NIU if want to claim the Chicago market.
Are you seriously that daft? You know more people live along the coast than the Corn Belt, including freaking Chicago, which is on water, too, ironically?

Is Seton Hall a better add than Rutgers in your mind? The Big 10 also added John Hopkins. Were they supposed to pick Georgetown?? Freaking online psych ward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You miss the bigger picture. Prior to the inclusion of Rutgers in The Big Ten, The BTN was on the lowest tier of cable packages in NYC and on middle to lower tiers in the state of NJ. With Rutgers inclusion in the conference, The BTN jumped to a significantly higher tier in NYC, and onto some of the highest tiers in NJ. Programs like Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin that previously had little to no exposure in these markets suddenly had an outlet where their teams could be showcased to tens of millions of new viewers. Schools like those mentioned above were suddenly far more visible to millions of perspective students and student athletes that these schools are interested in recruiting. Whether or not Rutgers is terrible makes minimal difference here.

While the B1G would have loved to have Notre Dame, there is no evidence that their inclusion would have made The B1G more money under the current cable subscriber format that is in place. Maybe Delany could have leveraged NYC or NJ for a few more dollars but there was no guarantee. They could just as easily been counted as representing Indiana. That said they would certainly deliver value in any future Tier 1 Rights negotiation the conference would be involved in.

Reaction Score
Rutgers?

Quick multiple choice question for you.

Please select the answer that best describes The SEC's Inclusion of Missouri.

A)They wanted to add The Tigers above average football program.

B)They needed their middling basketball team to bring up the bottom third of the conference.

C)The conference desired to have the most schools with the nickname Tigers in the P5.

D)They wanted to add a good size media market to the conference footprint prior to the roll out of The SEC Network.

Reaction Score
Quick multiple choice question for you.

Please select the answer that best describes The SEC's Inclusion of Missouri.

A)They wanted to add The Tigers above average football program.

B)They needed their middling basketball team to bring up the bottom third of the conference.

C)The conference desired to have the most schools with the nickname Tigers in the P5.

D)They wanted to add a good size media market to the conference footprint prior to the roll out of The SEC Network.
Rutgers<<<<Mizzou

Reaction Score
Are you seriously that daft? You know more people live along the coast than the Corn Belt, including freaking Chicago, which is on water, too, ironically?

Is Seton Hall a better add than Rutgers in your mind? The Big 10 also added John Hopkins. Were they supposed to pick Georgetown?? Freaking online psych ward.
Seton Hall might be a better add than Rutgers. The Hall would have to suit up their soccer team to compete with Rutgers football, but other than that...

The comparison is picking Newark and Rutgers to claim the NYC market. Not quite a home run in my opinion. Like picking a school that is near, but not in, Chicago to claim the Chicago market. A school without much of an established winning athletic program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom