The ACC is worse off without Maryland than the other way around - Washington Post | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The ACC is worse off without Maryland than the other way around - Washington Post

Reaction Score
Not at delivering a conference money, and that's what both of these schools were added to their respective sides to do.

When the Mission gets set to the side to chase cash, it doesn't always work out so well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With Rutgers, which is the upside? Basketball or Football?

It doesn’t actually matter.

You don’t add Rutgers for what they do on the field - historically, Rutgers has been awful at everything and often enough they’re actually historically bad at everything. But as soon as Nielsen drew up the designated market areas and lumped New Jersey in with New York City, the die was cast.

The Big Ten needs an entity in the market. I think Notre Dame’s influence is vastly overrated these days, but even if it wasn’t, adding them doesn’t affect carriage rates in the New York market because Notre Dame isn’t in it - the physical address is the only thing that matters.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t actually matter.

You don’t add Rutgers for what they do on the field - historically, Rutgers has been awful at everything and often enough they’re actually historically bad at everything. But as soon as Nielsen drew up the designated market areas and lumped New Jersey in with New York City, the die was cast.

The Big Ten needs an entity in the market. I think Notre Dame’s influence is vastly overrated these days, but even if it wasn’t, adding them doesn’t affect carriage rates in the New York market because Notre Dame isn’t in it - the physical address is the only thing that matters.

I understand why they did it, I just disagree that it was a good decision. They added a weak program while chasing a cable model that is likely late in its life cycle. The Rutgers membership is likely much longer in the end than the current subscription model. In the end they added a bottom feeder.

I think it's more of a brand dilution for the B1G than an add. Of course it's a lottery win for Rutgers.

Actual viewers may matter more in the future than the physical address of one outlier.

UConn would have been a better add.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall might be a better add than Rutgers. The Hall would have to suit up their soccer team to compete with Rutgers football, but other than that...

The comparison is picking Newark and Rutgers to claim the NYC market. Not quite a home run in my opinion. Like picking a school that is near, but not in, Chicago to claim the Chicago market. A school without much of an established winning athletic program.

Bro this isn't rocket science. Some things are what they are regardless of what your opinion is.

Reaction Score
Bro this isn't rocket science. Some things are what they are regardless of what your opinion is.
Referencing your map... NIU, like Rutgers, is outside of its famous city but within its DMA (TV market map).

I think this is over your head.

Reaction Score
Referencing your map... NIU, like Rutgers, is outside of its famous city but within its DMA (TV market map).

I think this is over your head.

LOL. I'll tell that to the boys I worked with at VNU for a decade. They'll get a nice chuckle out of that.

Reaction Score
LOL. I'll tell that to the boys I worked with at VNU for a decade. They'll get a nice chuckle out of that.
Then you understand the comparison? (and that your map provides no differentiation to the analogy).

Reaction Score
Then you understand the comparison? (and that your map provides no differentiation to the analogy).

No it proves that it is irrelevant that Rutgers is located in NJ. They get credit for being in the NYC DMA. Agree or not it doesn't matter. The B1G gets paid accordingly for adding them.

Reaction Score
No it proves that it is irrelevant that Rutgers is located in NJ. They get credit for being in the NYC DMA. Agree or not it doesn't matter. The B1G gets paid accordingly for adding them.
Then it's like adding NIU to get the Chicago market. I get it now. It took me a second.

Reaction Score
I lived in DC too. They love their Redskins, that is for sure. After that, the next big thing is the Caps and Bullets.... I mean Wizards. But the later two are not nearly as bg IMO. In pockets of the ritzy upper NW, you will see some GTown fans/people with gear, but not often. You tend to see people with hats and jerseys from around the country: Not uncommon to see Michigan, USC, Florida, Cuse, etc. in the span of minutes. So with that said, not a heck of a lot of people cared too much about UMaryland. Yah, when I got out into the farflung places of the green line or Silver Spring/R'ville on the red you would see some stuff, but not a lot.
You have been away a long time. Redskins #1 but Nats right behind then caps/wiz

Reaction Score
Then it's like adding NIU to get the Chicago market. I get it now. It took me a second.

Sure they would probably qualify as being in that DMA. That said you still have to negotiate actual deals with the cable companies in those markets. Good luck getting them to pay up for the addition. There's a reason why conferences don't actually do what you are suggesting.

Reaction Score
Sure they would probably qualify as being in that DMA. That said you still have to negotiate actual deals with the cable companies in those markets. Good luck getting them to pay up for the addition. There's a reason why conferences don't actually do what you are suggesting.

Right, which is why I think Rutgers is a bad deal. They are technically in the DMA. They will get some cash, in the near term anyway, but they are not a home run. They dilute the brand by adding an inferior program at the bottom.

They married Rutgers for short term cash and there is not a divorce escape hatch.

Reaction Score
You have been away a long time. Redskins #1 but Nats right behind then caps/wiz
No, I was not thinking about baseball. Yah, the Nats when they are good and redskins are about equal. Skins in PG are HUGE, #1 for sure. Among young frats boys in the NW and SW, nats are BIG.

Reaction Score
Right, which is why I think Rutgers is a bad deal. They are technically in the DMA. They will get some cash, in the near term anyway, but they are not a home run. They dilute the brand by adding an inferior program at the bottom.

They married Rutgers for short term cash and there is not a divorce escape hatch.

Your opinion that adding Rutgers was a bad deal for The B1G is just that, an opinion. Rutgers as a university met all of the metrics that the conference was looking for as an expansion candidate.

Large Land Grant State University.
AAU
Contiguous to a current conference member.
Located in a targeted media market.
Desirable area for recruiting both students and student athletes.
Large and diversified athletic dept. 30+ sponsored teams.

The fact that under the current media deals they were able to leverage providers for favorable deals made it all the better.

There were very few programs that met all of the desired metrics for conference membership and were looking for a home in a new conference when expansion was happening. The only schools I would put above Rutgers as desired expansion candidates for The B1G back in 2012 were ND, Texas, UNC and maybe UVA. None of those schools were truly available. It made sense to add RU Then and it still does now.

Reaction Score
Your opinion that adding Rutgers was a bad deal for The B1G is just that, an opinion.
Obviously yes, that is just my opinion. It's opposite of your's I guess, which is still just an opinion.

Reaction Score
Rutgers doesn't actually bring anything to the table in terms of sports success. They've had losing seasons in 17 out of the 26 seasons since they joined the Big East for football and in 18 out of the 22 seasons since they joined for basketball. They have long been (and, per all available evidence, will continue to be) mediocre.

Even the Big 10 -not exactly known for bringing home hardware in the sports that matter- was made worse by adding them.

Reaction Score
They only wanted their cable boxes. Winning or losing didn't matter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"We didn't want them in,'' DeFilippo told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.''

And it worked like a charm. UConn is down so low we lost any semblance of self respect and gave BC one of our home games.​

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

And it worked like a charm. UConn is down so low we lost any semblance of self respect and gave BC one of our home games.​
No we were offered a million dollwrs to play a home game in pro stadium. That's a very different thing.

Reaction Score
Obviously yes, that is just my opinion. It's opposite of your's I guess, which is still just an opinion.

My opinion like yours is irrelevant. I don't care about Rutgers one way or the other. The B1G on the other hand cared quite a bit, thus here we are today with them as a member. Ultimately success is defined by those who are taking the risk. In terms of what the conference hoped to achieve by adding them they have been a huge success. Winning games is up to Rutgers to build toward.

Reaction Score

For once I agree with you. If Delaney could take back adding Rutgers he would do it in a heartbeat. Adding UCONN would have been the smartest addition for all parties involved.

Reaction Score
For once I agree with you. If Delaney could take back adding Rutgers he would do it in a heartbeat. Adding UCONN would have been the smartest addition for all parties involved.

Delany would not take back adding Rutgers. Their inclusion has accomplished everything he hoped for and more. UConn may be considered for future expansion, and I hope they are, but at the time Rutgers was added they were not up for a spot versus Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Delany would not take back adding Rutgers. Their inclusion has accomplished everything he hoped for and more. UConn may be considered for future expansion, and I hope they are, but at the time Rutgers was added they were not up for a spot versus Rutgers.
Hey news flash Ldandy, cable boxes are going the way of the vacuum tube TV set. Delaney made some easy bucks but what does Rutgers offer the B1G right now? NOTHING!!! Except a ball and chain. UConn offers much much more.

Reaction Score
Hey news flash Ldandy, cable boxes are going the way of the vacuum tube TV set. Delaney made some easy bucks but what does Rutgers offer the B1G right now? NOTHING!!! Except a ball and chain. UConn offers much much more.
You really are dumb. He explained the many qualifications that RU had for admission to the B1G in a few statements above. Where does UConn stand in that check list? I see UConn satisfying 4 out of the six metrics that he described and the most important of all, AAU membership is not one of them. Rutgers knew they were going to the Big Ten before the breakup of the old Big East. It did not come as a surprise to them or anyone else for that matter. Don't count on previous national championships in men's and women's basketball to matter. Clearly, athletic success did not matter at that time. If it matters now, the UConn has a long way to go to improve men's sports. UConn is now a school for women's athletic championships, it seems to me. I don't doubt that even with cable cutting the P5 cartel will survive with or without UConn.

Reaction Score

That's absurd. Rutgers offers the other Big 10 teams an annual conference win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom