The ACC is worse off without Maryland than the other way around - Washington Post | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The ACC is worse off without Maryland than the other way around - Washington Post

Reaction Score
A lot of Rutgers talk here... And hate. Im not surprised. But hey....It's all good. Anywho, I'm sure we'll improve this upcoming season. It'll take time.

Reaction Score
A lot of Rutgers talk here... And hate. Im not surprised. But hey....It's all good. Anywho, I'm sure we'll improve this upcoming season. It'll take time.
There is always a next year

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah. I know. But a next year in the Big ten is a lot better and we can dare to dream.
Pikiell is doing good work with you guys. He was a great hire for you.

Reaction Score
Pikiell is doing good work with you guys. He was a great hire for you.
Pikiell was a great hire for them but he still has a lot of work to do. That being said, RU's football team still sucks, and as we all know it is football that drives the bus and revenue for the athletic department. Rutgers needs to hire a crackerjack football coach and I don't see that happening anytime soon as it's an uphill battle. It's really a laughing stock. Rutgers football has more decommits and transfers than any P5 team out there.

Reaction Score
Pikiell was a great hire for them but he still has a lot of work to do. That being said, RU's football team still sucks, and as we all know it is football that drives the bus and revenue for the athletic department. Rutgers needs to hire a crackerjack football coach and I don't see that happening anytime soon as it's an uphill battle. It's really a laughing stock. Rutgers football has more decommits and transfers than any P5 team out there.
I don't think Rutgers is a laughing stock. They are light years ahead of UConn football, would have crushed UConn over the last 4 years and they won the CR lottery! Not exactly a laughing stock. A laughing stock would be a school that finishes near or at the bottom of a G5 conference and is essentially noncompetitive against P5 opponents, not to mention most of its own conference, and whose crown jewel program is frequently surrounded by controversy and investigation.

Reaction Score
PS: They would probably be a laughing stock if the didn't get the B1G invite, but that alone surpasses everything else.

Reaction Score
I don't think Rutgers is a laughing stock. They are light years ahead of UConn football, would have crushed UConn over the last 4 years and they won the CR lottery! Not exactly a laughing stock. A laughing stock would be a school that finishes near or at the bottom of a G5 conference and is essentially noncompetitive against P5 opponents, not to mention most of its own conference, and whose crown jewel program is frequently surrounded by controversy and investigation.
Yes they are ahead of UConn football, but since Randy Edsall has taken control of the program, I would say they are not ahead by much. As for being a laughing stock, if the P5 has one, Rutgers is it. Like I said, Rutgers needs a really good football coach to rescue that program, they already have the other necessary tools, but they still suck and lose out on recruits to many G5 programs, including UConn.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yes they are ahead of UConn football, but since Randy Edsall has taken control of the program, I would say they are not ahead by much. As for being a laughing stock, if the P5 has one, Rutgers is it. Like I said, Rutgers needs a really good football coach to rescue that program, they already have the other necessary tools.

In my opinion, Wake Forest is much more of a laughingstock than Rutgers. They are an original P5 school and have done very little in Football and, recently, basketball. Even BC should be much better than they are. Rutgers is a newcomer to the world of P5 athletics and still doesn’t have the money that the other P5 schools have. I know they were in old Big East, but that still wasn’t in the same category as the others.

Even though I would love to have UConn in the Big10, excepting men’s and women’s basketball and maybe hockey, you all would struggle in most sports at first too. Now, Rutgers has shown some life in basketball this year, but I don’t think Ash is the answer for their football coach. They need someone from the area with a great relationship with the local coaches. I do think Edsall has his work cut out for him, but he’ll do well do you all.

Reaction Score
When you have 30 or 40 three, four, or five star kids on a team and only 11 can play as the number one on the depth chart you are going to have that. Some kids don't like competition and keeping those kids in the fold by a coaching staff in flux is difficult. The high profile decommits and transfers from Rutgers by what few top recruits they have is for completely different reasons. Just ask Travis Jones.

Reaction Score
The high profile decommits and transfers from Rutgers by what few top recruits they have is for completely different reasons. Just ask Travis Jones.

Travis Jones didn’t know how to effectively say “no - not yet” when pressed for a commit on his visit... he’s not a good example.

Kids @ Rutgers are being recruited over... the previous two/three years they had negligible decommits/transfers compared to other schools w/ a coaching change.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
One more win than us against a Big 10 schedule... tough for us to be throwing stones. Wins against Perdue, Illinois, and Maryland (and Morgan St.).

Reaction Score
In my opinion, Wake Forest is much more of a laughingstock than Rutgers. They are an original P5 school and have done very little in Football and, recently, basketball. Even BC should be much better than they are. Rutgers is a newcomer to the world of P5 athletics and still doesn’t have the money that the other P5 schools have. I know they were in old Big East, but that still wasn’t in the same category as the others.

Even though I would love to have UConn in the Big10, excepting men’s and women’s basketball and maybe hockey, you all would struggle in most sports at first too. Now, Rutgers has shown some life in basketball this year, but I don’t think Ash is the answer for their football coach. They need someone from the area with a great relationship with the local coaches. I do think Edsall has his work cut out for him, but he’ll do well do you all.
I don't know what you are smoking to think Wake Forest football is a laughing stock??? First of all they are a tiny tiny school, yet they were 8-4 last year, played a very tough schedule and unlike Rutgers were not blown out by anyone. Their four losses were relatively close.

Reaction Score
One more win than us against a Big 10 schedule... tough for us to be throwing stones. Wins against Perdue, Illinois, and Maryland (and Morgan St.).
Would have been interesting to see AAC Uconn with a new coach play a 5-7 Eastern Michigan team? Lol

CL82

Reaction Score
Would have been interesting to see AAC Uconn with a new coach play a 5-7 Eastern Michigan team? Lol
Was there a point in that post?

Reaction Score
I don't know what you are smoking to think Wake Forest football is a laughing stock??? First of all they are a tiny tiny school, yet they were 8-4 last year, played a very tough schedule and unlike Rutgers were not blown out by anyone. Their four losses were relatively close.
Wake also has a much better hoops history.

dayooper

Reaction Score

Rutgers first year in the Big10 they were 7-5 to go along with a crushing on UNC in their bowl game 41-10. Wake Forest is constantly described by those here as dragging down the ACC and don’t deserve to be in the P5. They have won two ACC football championships in 64 years. They have had 64 years to do something and they have done little. Does it matter they are tiny? Nope. If they want to play the game, they need to step up. At least Rutgers provides the Big10 with something. The only reason WF is in the ACC is beacause UNC wants them there. No other reason. In fact, they drag the ACC down.

Rutgers is the butt of all jokes (and they should be) but to say they will always suck when thrown into the fire from the AAC/Big East to the Big10 all the while being hamstrung with having to build up their facilities while getting a fraction of what the rest of the Big10 is a bit disingenuous, in my opinion. I have said I want a UConn in the Big10, but you would struggle in most sports, much like Rutgers does.

Reaction Score
Rutgers first year in the Big10 they were 7-5 to go along with a crushing on UNC in their bowl game 41-10. Wake Forest is constantly described by those here as dragging down the ACC and don’t deserve to be in the P5. They have won two ACC football championships in 64 years. They have had 64 years to do something and they have done little. Does it matter they are tiny? Nope. If they want to play the game, they need to step up. At least Rutgers provides the Big10 with something. The only reason WF is in the ACC is beacause UNC wants them there. No other reason. In fact, they drag the ACC down.

Rutgers is the butt of all jokes (and they should be) but to say they will always suck when thrown into the fire from the AAC/Big East to the Big10 all the while being hamstrung with having to build up their facilities while getting a fraction of what the rest of the Big10 is a bit disingenuous, in my opinion. I have said I want a UConn in the Big10, but you would struggle in most sports, much like Rutgers does.
OK

Reaction Score

Wake Forest has 8 NCAA team championships in 4 different sports. Wake Forest is 8-4 in bowl games, and defeated Texas A&M last month. Wake Forest is 28-23 in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament with 23 appearances including 2017. These are not laughing stock records.

Wake Forest would probably not be invited to the ACC today not because of the quality of their athletics programs, but because of their size and television not wanting too many teams from the same state. Having 4 teams from North Carolina was good in 1953, but it would not be the approach today. But Rutgers has a long way to go to put together an athletics department of the quality of Wake Forest.

Reaction Score
Wake Forest has 8 NCAA team championships in 4 different sports. Wake Forest is 8-4 in bowl games, and defeated Texas A&M last month. Wake Forest is 28-23 in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament with 23 appearances including 2017. These are not laughing stock records.

Wake Forest would probably not be invited to the ACC today not because of the quality of their athletics programs, but because of their size and television not wanting too many teams from the same state. Having 4 teams from North Carolina was good in 1953, but it would not be the approach today. But Rutgers has a long way to go to put together an athletics department of the quality of Wake Forest.
There was also a time, before current, when there was a level of academic excellence projected by a conference. Wake is head and shoulders above Rutgers and Wake added to the ACC reputation.

That projection of excellence is no longer. Cash is the only driver now.

Wake is an elite member of P5 schools that are small and private, and they are still able to compete at the highest levels. Most of these schools are high end academic institutions. Wake, Duke, Vandy, Northwestern, BC, ND*, Stanford, TCU...

dayooper

Reaction Score

I actually like WF. The Rutgers bashing by some on this board is a little much, though.

Reaction Score

Rutgers is learning to do it without the cash. Much of our new upgrades is through fundraising and private donations, especially with the right Athletic Director with clout that Hobbs brings. The previous AD (Hermann), was a joke.

Mist of us Rutgers fans knew this was going to be one hell of a growing pain. And quite honestly, we're hearing it from everybody. Is it a big deal? You're damned right it is? And we're hearing it from everybody in the conference. We're hearing it from sadexcuse, Temple fans (For whatever reasons), and finally from you guys.

Look I get it. Until we smack someone in the mouth we'll always get it. But it's not like we haven't tried. And it's not like if you were in the same position as us, you would not be doing that much better.

Reaction Score
And it's not like if you were in the same position as us, you would not be doing that much better.
Hmm...it's catchy. I like it!

Wy5o66F.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom