The 2018 New York Yankees Thread (and wow what a thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The 2018 New York Yankees Thread (and wow what a thread)

Reaction Score
While I'm concerned about the Montgomery injury, you've got to feel good about the way this season is shaping up. Sweep the Angels in Anaheim and then three out of four in Houston? I would not have predicted that. Starting pitching has been more than solid and the bullpen is starting to pitch like what we expected. Throw in real contributions from the youngsters and you've got the making of an exciting season.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Now 12 out of 13. Great game yesterday. Both teams played like champions - both sides going at it to the final out. Torres - cool and calm and only 21.

This season is shaping up to be lot of fun. CC goes tonight against the Tribe.

Reaction Score
And now I guess we can stop worrying about the Sox fast start, huh ? LOL!!! Yankees are rolling and Stanton still hasn't completely come around, with Greg Bird a few weeks away. And Sheffield getting the promotion to AAA.... Frazier and Drury are about ready to rejoin the ML roster.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Both the Sox and the Yanks have some flaws. Yankee pitching, at least starting is still suspect beyond Severino. Montgomery going down with elbow issues doesn't help. We'll see how German fills in. The bullpen is improving but Betances is still inconsistent and Kanhle is not back yet. Yanks do not have a true leadoff man. On the plus side, Sanchez is starting to hit as is Stanton. The two rookies have done very well.

For the Sox, Price is done as a starter. This is the third year he can't seem to deliver. Bullpen has been inconsistent. While the lineup boast some gaudy averages (Beets, Martinez, Bogaerts, Ramirez), the rest of the lineup is not that impressive. Also, not a lot of long ball punch.

Both teams should battle it out until the last week of the season. Injuries to key players will be a factor.

Reaction Score
Being a life-long Yankee fan I couldn’t be happier,at this point, in the season in regard to their performance and their future potential this year and beyond.
I have to admit that I was, however, disappointed with the outcome of the first game against the Astros when I heard Boone decided to “rest” Aaron Judge. I’m in no way opposed to giving everyday players a breather, but to rest one of your top players when faced with playing one of the best ( if not the best) team in Major League Baseball totally escape me. If Judge needed a rest...why not sit him during the preceding Twins series ( a team the Yankees have “owned” the last several years) or even against the Angels ( who lately were experiencing hard times). To “rest’” him against the normally high offensive Astros when playing them in their home park..simply seemed to court potential disaster. The fact that the Yankees lost 2-1 and that in his only pinch- hit at bat Judge got on base, only compounded the situation—-making one left to wonder what he might have done if he had come to bat some four times!! Boone is a rookie manager with no prior managerial experience, I wish he would have made a different decision in this instance and hope this isn’t a sign of his future playrer utilization “strategy” Thankful the Yanks won the next 3 games against the Astros ...but it could possibly have been a sweep had Judge been in the lineup the whole game. Strictly conjecture on my part, terrible second-guessing and unfair griping by a never satisfied Yankee fan—- not content to see them lose. I admit —guilty on all of those counts...but also hopeful Boone doesn’t turn into a Girardi when it comes to judging when it’s best ( and most team advantageous) to rest a key starter !! Boy..glad I got that off my chest..... and go Yankees!!!

Reaction Score
Should make for an awfully fun series against the Sox starting Tuesday. Not sure I see the Yankees pitching as "flawed", either. Severino is lights out, Tanaka has shown all you need to show, CC is discovering Pettitte's magic, Sonny Gray is coming around, and now, German looks like he'll do just fine as Monty's stand-in, assuming Montgomery's injury isn't serious, and he retakes that job, at all.

And Neil Walker is coming around as well.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Trying to remember the last time the Yankees lost...

Nope. Can't remember when.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
17 out of the last 18. As a friend said, we are witnessing MountCrushmore!

The first 2 games have been exciting and fun to watch. Now on to the sweep!

Reaction Score
Impressive outing by Severino. Whether it was due to the delayed start or not, he obviously did not have his best stuff, but still managed to get big outs when he had to. That's how aces pitch.

Reaction Score
I saw that Nathan Eovaldi had a very successful return to MLB with six no-hit innings. He seemed to be on the verge of figuring out how to pitch before he went down for that second Tommy John surgery. Hope it works out for him as he always seemed to try hard for the Yankees. Also saw an ESPN article saying that Francisco Cervelli has a shot at being an All Star this season. Happy for him too. Can't say I saw it coming, but always appreciated his hustle and attitude when he wore the pinstripes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cervelli was a breath of fresh air.

Also...Mike Stanton has a mere 4 more ribbies than Gleyber Torres.

Reaction Score
Scary how bad they’ve been when not hitting HRs ..... let’s keep trotting Bird out until he’s below .100 because right now Mendoza is a stud at his line compared to Bird. What are they waiting for with Drury wtf? Awful weekend of baseball and coaching.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ench
Scary how bad they’ve been when not hitting HRs ..... let’s keep trotting Bird out until he’s below .100 because right now Mendoza is a stud at his line compared to Bird. What are they waiting for with Drury wtf? Awful weekend of baseball and coaching.

Can't argue with your assessment. Bird needs to go to the bench. He's doing more harm than good. I'd bench Sanchez too.

Cashman has to get get one decent arm somewhere. 3, 4 and 5 in the rotation are not getting it done.

Reaction Score
ench

Can't argue with your assessment. Bird needs to go to the bench. He's doing more harm than good. I'd bench Sanchez too.

Cashman has to get get one decent arm somewhere. 3, 4 and 5 in the rotation are not getting it done.

He is probably going on the DL. But Gary is leading all catchers in Runs and is second in HR and RBI's. Everything he hits is going at someone which is why he has a .194 BABIP which just shows how unlucky it has been.

Reaction Score
He is probably going on the DL. But Gary is leading all catchers in Runs and is second in HR and RBI's. Everything he hits is going at someone which is why he has a .194 BABIP which just shows how unlucky it has been.
His line drive percentage last year was 21.5%. This year it's down to 14.5%
His fly ball% has jumped from 36 to 45% while his infield Fly ball% has jumped from 10 to 20%.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
That was an interesting (as in Chinese curse) series. The games were over in the first or second inning without the bitter animosity we come to expect. Truly impressed with CC being able to negotiate the line-up like he did. I guess the Sox really have difficulty with southpaws for whatever reason.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yanks without Gleyber: 17-16

Yanks with Gleyber: 45-18

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Gary Sanchez is a freakin' dog. Aaron Boone better went down on his with a damned chainsaw tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom