The 2017-2018 UCONN Bench will be a top 10 Team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The 2017-2018 UCONN Bench will be a top 10 Team

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hmmm. I really did not think SC played a particularly good game, especially since MsState duid not challenge them in any meaningful way at all (and it did not look to me as though MsState was rendered impotent by SC except, perhaps in the interior game, which was not how MsState was going to win anyway, if they were going to win). Anyway, just my observation.
No real disagreement. I questioned the statement that UConn would "kill" SC. I think we both believe UConn would win the game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No real disagreement. I questioned the statement that UConn would "kill" SC. I think we both believe UConn would win the game.

But... but.... would UCONN's bench next year have beaten Miss State or South Carolina this past season? :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is part of the reason why I think Crystal starts, despite Z's much-needed size and versatility:

"That remains to be seen," he said. "The four starters we have coming back who played a lot of minutes plus Crystal, you have a good idea of what's out there. That's a known and everyone else is an unknown. You don't know how everyone else will fit in."
This will be hotly debated until November. I'm with you, Mil, that Crystal starts, but we are in the minority, and it would not surprise me one bit to see Azura start and have Geno use a guard-light lineup with only Kia as the player on the floor with guard skills that can hold up under pressure...

I'm NOT saying that Gabby and KLS do not possess "guard skills", but their ball handling is inferior to Kia's and Crystal's.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn women believe. The out come was coming and they saw it--and worked to stop it--When it happened --it hurt--they may (I say MAY) have thought they let their team, coaches, fans down---as a day or 4 passed--they realized --what most Byer did--it was one heck of a season!!

A while back - few weeks - Geno said he was over it, but at least some of the team were still dealing with it. For me and I believe for many fans, the loss was one of those random probability events that had no effect at all on my view of the team or any players on it. I also suspect, without any empirical data, that that is how everyone professionally involved in WCBB views it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is ZERO chance that Auriemma told Chong to drive to the lane and leave time left on the clock. I am 100%, absolutely, positively sure that he told them to take the final shot at the buzzer and either win the game or go to another OT.
Well if you know me you know I know and if you dont know me you now know I know because when I know something for fact I post it. With my reputation on the line all the time I am careful to only post what I know as fact from reliable sources and I know what ever I post will be taken as fact so I dont post what I think I post what I know and I know the person to be fact or I wouldnt have posted it. Just for reference the 37 page violation by Tenn almost ruined me. I was once referred to as a walking NCAA violation of which Im not.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
A storm of unbelievable power is about to rain down on college woman's basketball. The next two years will be the greatest display of pure college basketball supremacy that the world has ever seen. The bench alone will be a power few will be able to compete against.

Here is Geno's comment on this fantasy. "Katie Lou was saying the other day how it will be nice to get a breather during the game every once in a while and not worry what it will look like out there. But little does she know ... It's not going to look as great as she thinks it will look."

The UCONN freshmen are freshmen. Crystall played like freshman. The incoming freshmen will play like a freshmen. The starting five have a minimum of 2 years playing DI b-ball, Crystal displayed flashes of goodness but now she must demonstrate consistency. Camara was a solid player at Kentucky. Hopefully she will be better at UCONN. The 2 sophomores, Irwin and Bent have to take many giant steps to be solid contributors. The freshmen will hopefully perform like crystal did and make decent subs. But as a whole I don't see any combination of non-starters competing as a top ten team ... at least not in the real world. When was the last time UCONN's second five could have competed as a top ten team? TASSK?

Reaction Score
Here is Geno's comment on this fantasy. "Katie Lou was saying the other day how it will be nice to get a breather during the game every once in a while and not worry what it will look like out there. But little does she know ... It's not going to look as great as she thinks it will look."

The UConn freshmen are freshmen. Crystall played like freshman. The incoming freshmen will play like a freshmen. The starting five have a minimum of 2 years playing DI b-ball, Crystal displayed flashes of goodness but now she must demonstrate consistency. Camara was a solid player at Kentucky. Hopefully she will be better at UConn. The 2 sophomores, Irwin and Bent have to take many giant steps to be solid contributors. The freshmen will hopefully perform like crystal did and make decent subs. But as a whole I don't see any combination of non-starters competing as a top ten team ... at least not in the real world. When was the last time UConn's second five could have competed as a top ten team? TASSK?
What about 2012-13 when you had Stewie, Tuck and Mo as part of the second team when they were freshmen?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What about 2012-13 when you had Stewie, Tuck and Mo as part of the second team when they were freshmen?

No! Jefferson was erratic. Stewie hit the frosh wall for most of the season until the playoffs which is too to make the top 10. Tuck play well ... for a freshman.

Reaction Score
No! Jefferson was erratic. Stewie hit the frosh wall for most of the season until the playoffs which is too to make the top 10. Tuck play well ... for a freshman.
Well if it's a no for when the big three were on that second team, then it's definitely a no for this second team.

Reaction Score
A "team" is about 7 players. So UConn's 1st team will be the 4 returning starters + Crystal, Azura, & Walker.

That puts the 2nd team as the other 3 frosh + Camara, Bent, Irwin.
If you want to bet on that team being top 20, go ahead. I have a house that I'd like to bet against you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This will be hotly debated until November. I'm with you, Mil, that Crystal starts, but we are in the minority, and it would not surprise me one bit to see Azura start and have Geno use a guard-light lineup with only Kia as the player on the floor with guard skills that can hold up under pressure...

I'm NOT saying that Gabby and KLS do not possess "guard skills", but their ball handling is inferior to Kia's and Crystal's.
We are in the minority, but I'm ok with that. Unlike some others, I'm not SURE. I agree that starting Z over Crystal is not a bad choice. But I think Coach starts Crystal in November. We'll know in time. I think both play about the same number of minutes. How much someone plays and when she plays are more important than whether or not she starts. I see us as having a core 6, with Mikayla and Megan trying to force their way in. Batouly may as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"About 90 percent of the teams we play in our non-conference schedule probably have a chance to go to the Final Four," Auriemma said. "That's a good thing. The more we do that the better it makes us, the better for our fans, the better for everyone. I don't know if it could get any stronger. It would be virtually impossible for us to have a better non-conference schedule than we have coming up. That's the way it is going to be from here on in."

That is a very strong statement. There are also some teams that figure to make the FF that are not on their schedule. Since there are only 4 invitations available for the last weekend, there will be an all out dog fight for them. Teams that have a legitimate chance of getting their ticket punched for the final weekend's activities, will no doubt sell out, and play all of their aces to get there.

Which is worse, to lose that final weekend, or fail to qualify for the final four? Many teams that feel they are good enough to go, and deserve to go, won't. UConn figures to be there. Who will the other three be? The usual invitees? i.e. Notre Dame, USCe, Maryland?, or other would be party crashers such as Baylor, Texas, Florida St, Louisville, Stanford, Miss St, Oregon St, UCLA, etc ? Baylor and Notre Dame where ranked in the top 4 all year, and failed to make the final four for the second year in a row. Will they slip on that banana peel, or stumble and fall once more as they approach the tape, and achieve the trifecta?

As interesting and competitive (and fun to watch) as last season was, this season should be even more interesting and competitive. Several teams that failed to live up to what could be considered moderate expectations, failed to do so. Teams that had an exceptional recruiting year, are looking to move beyond the log jam near the top, and position themselves to earn a top seed come March.

They want to make a statement and a strong one. Ten or so teams vying for 4 FF tickets. Teams once again, are going to be sent home during the tournament extremely disappointed, forced to regroup, and go back to square one. Who will they be?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well if you know me you know I know and if you dont know me you now know I know because when I know something for fact I post it. With my reputation on the line all the time I am careful to only post what I know as fact from reliable sources and I know what ever I post will be taken as fact so I dont post what I think I post what I know and I know the person to be fact or I wouldnt have posted it. Just for reference the 37 page violation by Tenn almost ruined me. I was once referred to as a walking NCAA violation of which Im not.
37 pages of garage "alleging" violations would be a more accurate description. No one deserved that.
So let's talk about something that you may or may not know. I've been meaning to get back to you about UCONN recruiting for 2018 class. When Danielle Cosgrove committed to ND you opined that since UCONN passed on Danielle UCONN "might" have other potential post in mind. I hoped it was ONO-might it still be? Do you know if Danielle Cosgrove ever visited UCONN?

Reaction Score
What if you split up the team into two squads..... could there be two top 25 teams? Put Gabby and Kia on one team and Pheesa and Lou on the other and build from there. Sorry, not trying to change the OP but I was just curious what some of you thought.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What if you split up the team into two squads..... could there be two top 25 teams? Put Gabby and Kia on one team and Pheesa and Lou on the other and build from there. Sorry, not trying to change the OP but I was just curious what some of you thought.

I think there is way too much Kool-Aid drinking. Just be thankful the team as a whole wins the NCAA championship.

Reaction Score
Good example of why UConn's current 2nd team not top 10. Stewie was inconsistent until playoffs and Tuck and Mo minor pieces. Who cares as long as team is #1 at end of year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
37 pages of garage "alleging" violations would be a more accurate description. No one deserved that.
So let's talk about something that you may or may not know. I've been meaning to get back to you about UConn recruiting for 2018 class. When Danielle Cosgrove committed to ND you opined that since UConn passed on Danielle UConn "might" have other potential post in mind. I hoped it was ONO-might it still be? Do you know if Danielle Cosgrove ever visited UConn?[/QUOT

Danielle Patterson I think is who you mean and she did not visit UConn.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
A storm of unbelievable power is about to rain down on college woman's basketball. The next two years will be the greatest display of pure college basketball supremacy that the world has ever seen. The bench alone will be a power few will be able to compete against.
I think you are being a wee bit, too optimistic. What do we know about Z and the Bat-girl? Are they big enough to dominate teams like Texas and Baylor? Who on this team is a proven scorer? Who can really knock down the 3 like Lou? I see a lot of unanswered questions, especially in our guards. Could we beat MissState this year if they run the clock down again on every play? What can we expect from Dangerfield? Stanford has good size at every position again. Notre Dame recruits well. I mean, will we really be that good? And what round will Pretty Boy Floyd take out McGregor? Can we really trust Geno to win another NC? C'mon, make me a believer why doncha.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you are being a wee bit, too optimistic. What do we know about Z and the Bat-girl? Are they big enough to dominate teams like Texas and Baylor? Who on this team is a proven scorer? Who can really knock down the 3 like Lou? I see a lot of unanswered questions, especially in our guards. Could we beat MissState this year if they run the clock down again on every play? What can we expect from Dangerfield? Stanford has good size at every position again. Notre Dame recruits well. I mean, will we really be that good? And what round will Pretty Boy Floyd take out McGregor? Can we really trust Geno to win another NC? C'mon, make me a believer why doncha.
Oh my! Must have been the soggy cheerios from this morning. :D
Answers:
Quite a bit-how much time you got?
Yes.
Everyone.
KLS is still eligible-FOR TWO MORE YEARS.
Yes.
A Sophomore leap.
Yes.
It will go the distance and he goes by Money Maker not Pretty Boy.
Yes.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with a lot of your specific concerns, and you seem to be doing just a bit of trolling here. This team is really, really loaded. Even Kara Lawson was in awe last year when watching UConn practicing (which included Z and Batouly), let alone with all the new talent that's come along subsequently. And now, it's not only loaded, but it's angry. Not sure the rest of WCBB should really have rejoiced at MissState's upset.

But, despite your trolling, I actually do agree with your overall tone. No one has played a moment of basketball yet. Stuff happens: injuries, attitudes (unlikely given how good the coaching staff is with the kids, but one never knows, especially since the bench might actually be too deep), cold shooting on a given night, emerging stars and defenses on other teams, etc. I loved last year, because it defied expectations. I'm less enthused about years in which fans are disgruntled with a 30 point win, and really don't like years in which fans have crowned the national champs before the first tip off. Which doesn't mean I don't love this team's prospects! :)

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Oh my! Must have been the soggy cheerios from this morning. :D
Answers:
Quite a bit-how much time you got?
Yes.
Everyone.
KLS is still eligible-FOR TWO MORE YEARS.
Yes.
A Sophomore leap.
Yes.
It will go the distance and he goes by Money Maker not Pretty Boy.
Yes.
I think Dove was referring to the OP/thread title, so only the second team counts, yes?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Dove was referring to the OP/thread title, so only the second team counts, yes?
Yes but.... there are a few BYers advocating that KLS or Gabby or Napheesa ( returning AA) would not start. Which is as silly as the OP/thread title.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Yes but.... there are a few BYers advocating that KLS or Gabby or Napheesa ( returning AA) would not start. Which is as silly as the OP/thread title.

Ridiculous people are going to be ridiculous and thinking that Geno won't start a returning All-American is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way---- This year there will be many games (if not all games) where the bench will get plenty of playing time in the 4th quarter, and I fully expect that unlike some years where the lead shrinks then, this year the bench will continue to build the lead. It will be partly pride, partly to prove something, partly to showcase their ability. Other teams, even the good ones, should not count on any let down from UCONN when the bench comes in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom