That will do it. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

That will do it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The thing that may get lost in all of this is UConn never imposed a postseason ban on itself. They are either:

1) confident there is nothing serious that will come of the investgation
2) idiots

At this point, who cares? We will never again reach post season play while Ollie is the coach. So if they can't find a way to change that, then nothing else matters. It's like a drowning man worrying about skin cancer.

Reaction Score
At this point, who cares? We will never again reach post season play while Ollie is the coach. So if they can't find a way to change that, then nothing else matters. It's like a drowning man worrying about skin cancer.

It matters for the next guy who comes in. I would rather UConn apply that penalty then give the NCAA opportunity to apply a postseason ban in year 1 for a new coach and potential scholarship losses or whatever else they could come up with. There may be nothing of the investigation, but if there is something it could make the job significantly less appealing should these penalties take hold next season.

Reaction Score

I thought this was already know that there was going to be turnover whether KO stayed or not? It was posted on the boneyard as a quote from reporter a few weeks ago. I guess this is just confirmation of it happening.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
if the money was too large to make someone "un-fireable" we should never have offered it in first place.

Yes, yet another epic fail on the part of the school administration. Nobody in a decision making capacity seems to have any clue about how to run the AD.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I thought this was already know that there was going to be turnover whether KO stayed or not? It was posted on the boneyard as a quote from reporter a few weeks ago. I guess this is just confirmation of it happening.

Ollie publicly acknowledging it is a step beyond that.

Reaction Score
Taken at its core, this wreaks of program out of control. Coach should be the one determining who stays, not the players perhaps letting him know if he's lucky.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've had similar hallucinations, including a certain poster saying that Ollie going to West Hartford was a sign of how bad he had become...

...West Hartford...

...15 minutes from his house... :eek:

What's so bad about going to WH? You can't make this kind of garbage up. Wait, maybe you can?

Reaction Score
Oh jeez, let’s get all weepy because a guy who is getting $ 3 million/year and failed is getting fired. He’s a basketball coach. He was well paid and he wore out his welcome. He needs to go away. Just like Dom Perno needed to go in a less touchy feely era.
This has nothing to do with being weepy. Other posters were calling for a public shaming type of event, and I think that is gravely wrong given Kevin is part of the family. One of the only differentiators Uconn has over other higher performing schools at this point is a large # of successful basketball players who still support the team in one way or another. A new coach may need to rely on that at some point. Having a Rip/Ray/Kemba/Shabazz type of player come to the school for a recruit's trip, or otherwise. If we callously discard a man who is a part of this family, it makes others feel like it is not so much of a family...

How our fan base handles this crisis will be understood by the kids who come in and try to turn the program around. We should handle this like adults...

Reaction Score
I have gone back and forth multiple times on the KO debate. I am equally as appalled as anyone in here. Its been at least three years since I first told my brother that KO had major deficiencies in his coaching (scheme, substitution patterns, time/score decisions) and that was coming off of a national championship. He promptly told me to shut up we just won a national championship. So I listened because he was right. I still admired KO for his passion at the time and his ability to recruit and connect with the young athlete and the truth was he was still a very green head coach (lots of head coaches struggle early in their careers). I subsequently continued to try and ignore many of the same mistakes I had seen over and over in the following years. I made some excuses here and there (conference, injuries, divorce, young team due to defections, etc.) all the while knowing that KO wasn't progressing, wasn't learning from his mistakes, wasn't improvising, wasn't teaching and progressing his players, and wasn't working to his players skill sets, rather forcing the square peg into the round hole. It reached a gross breaking point for me this year as I watched his disgusting demeanor on the bench, first perpetually confused and the second half of the season finished with complete pathetic apathy. It was as if he even gave up on motivating his own players. This year has clearly culminated in the lowest of the lows. As a UConn fan from the mid 90's I've never seen the program in this disarray. He seems to have lost certain players (not all, at least he gets public support from many), lost the desire to be fiery, lost the ability to take a suggestion (if he is getting them, and if he ever did). He is, simply put, not getting better.

With all of that said, I think for this NEXT year and only this next year, the best, albeit seemingly highly improbable case scenario, is that KO learns, puts forth more effort, brings in quality assistants or listens to his assistants, becomes a better game manager and while doing this keeps this roster together. This roster who although isn't nearly the best or even a top 20 roster we have had is SOMEWHAT talented of a roster. Now I have little to no faith left that he does any of that but next year will only be worse or equally as dismal if we lose our young core players (some have shown gains and potential-- Tyler Phommachanh, JC, CV) combined with Akinjo and JA due to his firing. The last thing I want to see is a squad full of transfers next year and D2 quality players.

Now, in order for this to happen he truly needs his Come to Jesus moment, a moment of career path clairvoyance maybe, or deep enlightenment or perhaps a transcendent awakening. He must think critically about himself and his staff and have a major self-reflecting purge. If his post game press conferences aren't a blatant sign that he needs this then I don't know what is.

The way I see it though, is if we keep KO and none of our top 7 or so returning players transfer, with the additions that we have coming in and barring injuries we can only be better. The players leaving are all net minuses (DO, AA, TL,). Even if AG can't perform or is limited Akinjo is going to be better than AA. Kisunas better than DO. And I will even say EM as a freshman will probably show way more hustle energy and defensive IQ than TL ever did. You also add a highly skilled, and somewhat highly ranked Sid Wilson to the mix and if you take into effect gains from other players as they get older and stronger. Yes these gains more than likely will be minimal due to KO but you should at least see a stronger and slightly more confident JC, IW, and Tyler Phommachanh. If AG does come back healthy than it could actually be a top 4 AAC team (big, whoop, yea I know I get it).

So I get the arguments coming my way. It's a band-aid for the year and not a long term plan. The decision on my part obviously is heavily financially motivated as if his contract were up I would say cut him loose in a heart beat. But I also see it more likely that if we can win 20-22 games next year (in the AAC big whoop, yea I know I get it) with a low performing coach, if we seek to fire him next year, it will cost a whole lot less, and it might mean we have a better chance at keeping our key pieces around after experiencing some success and realizing their future potential is high.

What it comes down to is I just don't see any immediate gain in firing him this year unless there is another mass exodus of guys not named (EC, KW, IW). Or maybe an outside shot of a major coach bringing in a slew of top recruits. Now if JA leaves or a combo of Tyler Phommachanh, JC, MD, CV, AG decide to leave than go ahead and break it down and start over.

A big question for me would be: Would I rather be rooting for a 14-16 somewhat overachieving team coached by a good coach with grad transfers and D2 level players next year or would I rather be rooting for KO and a 20-12 under achieving squad. Both give you hope for different reasons. Both drive you nuts at times. I guess in the latter case with KO, I'm hoping that the players will bring their own energy and fire and play for the team name on their jersey. KO clearly has struggled with establishing a tough nosed, blue collar culture, I just hope he has started to recruit it (signs point towards......maybe).

I will say that I never thought it could get this bad. But if you told me a couple of years ago that a handful of players with big egos or dads with big egos, chemistry stunters, me-first players, guys who had a warped sense of their value or skill level, or guys missing heart especially defensively were going to be unidentified as such in the recruiting process and they would snake their way in and it was going to knock us down a peg I would've told you I could picture that scenario. KO recruited them yes but sometimes attitude chameleons are tough to pick when recruiting. They will say anything to get the schollys they want. Regardless KO handled them and the situations poorly. So for the money he makes he should endure the criticism.

I don't know. Just my two cents. I know the pitchfork crew will not like this take and trust me I get you guys. I have been there and might even be there again soon enough. I honestly would totally understand if he was let go tomorrow and I wouldn't fuss. I just go back and forth on what I want for next year because I can't stand another season of this crap.

Reaction Score
Here's the quote on roster turnover with proper context, it doesn't sound as bad here IMO:

Might be the first time I've ever seen him use the word "unacceptable". Too bad it's about 3 years too late.

mr xxx

Faithful to the bitter end!
Reaction Score
There are 10 million reasons why he’s not going anywhere. Get ready for 2 more years!
Did you see the crowd for the BE? They had just a few more fans than the AAC. This is where DB should focus his attention!

mr xxx

Faithful to the bitter end!
Reaction Score
I’d rather pay the BE 10 million to let us in!

Reaction Score
Here's the quote on roster turnover with proper context, it doesn't sound as bad here IMO:

Kind of damning that he talks about the players as far as "who is staying and who isn't". Kind of a matter-of-fact way to talk about the roster that you typically don't expect to change that much.

Reaction Score
The thing that may get lost in all of this is UConn never imposed a postseason ban on itself. They are either:

1) confident there is nothing serious that will come of the investgation
2) idiots
1)unc proved that fighting it will prove your innocence. Everyone else self imposed and suffered.

Reaction Score
I can 100% assure you that if there is something I really don't care about - it's how many players off this current team stay or go.

I'd love to hang onto a few of them if it's possible, but the whole team top to bottom is replaceable.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Well there are players who clearly aren’t going anywhere, regardless - Adams, Gilbert and Wilson. That’s three.

The recruits if Ollie is back aren’t leaving - NLOI. That’s three more. If he’s fired, you’ve got to re-recruit them, and hope you limit the loss by waving 4 rings in front of them. Tough call.

The next group is this year’s new players - Carlton, Whaley, Polley, Williams, Cobb. You wouldn’t be shocked if Cobb is encouraged to seek his fortune elsewhere; Williams may want to, but as an older player may not want to sit out. Of the other three, I see all three more inclined to stay with a new coach, hoping to be used more appropriately without losing a year.

That leaves Vital and Diarra. I doubt either leave, but Vital would be most likely, as Diarra has already sat out a year.

Reaction Score
When your players are good enough to nearly erase multiple 20 point deficits...yeah that ain’t right
When your players are bad enough to fall into multiple 20 point deficits...yeah that ain't right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom