That will do it. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

That will do it.

Reaction Score
1)unc proved that fighting it will prove your innocence. Everyone else self imposed and suffered.

Apples & oranges comparison. Your Louisville, Syracuse, & SMU as examples pulled recruiting violations, which is a clear red flag and knew no matter what they were going to have to suffer so better to control it yourself.

UNC, while what they did was worse in every way, shape, and form, was involved in cheating from an academic standpoint and changed the conversation to revolve around the NCAA's involvement in academics.

From everything we know, if UConn is guilty of anything, it's in the former camp. Has there ever been a case where the NCAA has inquired in recruiting violations for a particular school and not found violations? I don't know, but UConn better know what they are doing here or KO will be the head coach next year and we'll be lucky to win 10 games when we have to run out 5 guard lineups since the whole frontcourt transferred out due to coaching incompetence.

Reaction Score
Well there are players who clearly aren’t going anywhere, regardless - Adams, Gilbert and Wilson. That’s three.

The recruits if Ollie is back aren’t leaving - NLOI. That’s three more. If he’s fired, you’ve got to re-recruit them, and hope you limit the loss by waving 4 rings in front of them. Tough call.

The next group is this year’s new players - Carlton, Whaley, Polley, Williams, Cobb. You wouldn’t be shocked if Cobb is encouraged to seek his fortune elsewhere; Williams may want to, but as an older player may not want to sit out. Of the other three, I see all three more inclined to stay with a new coach, hoping to be used more appropriately without losing a year.

That leaves Vital and Diarra. I doubt either leave, but Vital would be most likely, as Diarra has already sat out a year.

Good analysis. Leave it to a guy named Dr. Hoop to deliver the goods.

I have some thoughts on this.

Reaction Score
I still think that Carlton will be that guy. We got hurt a lot this year by the fact that none of our 5s could play D. If that part of Carlton's game can improve, we'll see much better performances on the court...

You also said Larrier could play himself into the first round with another year at uconn so this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
Because of the reasons willie said. And I think he can coach a team that he puts together much better than he has the last 2 years and I would like to see him do it. I don’t see any college basketball programs firing coaches and becoming great for years. I don’t know that there is a replacement coach that I wish we had right now. Just my opinion.
He had 4 seasons. And, in each of the past 4 seasons season our roster talent ranked higher than any other team in the American ( even after factoring in the injuries), yet just 1 tournament appearance in 4 seasons. And, we were only a game or two away from missing the dance in that 1 season we did make it. I think that’s good enough sample size to make firm conclusions. And I won’t even discuss the fact that our team has National ranking of about 177, and back to back losing seasons, more 20point blowouts in school history, etc. I respect your opinion, I just don’t agree with you and the few others who feel he should be back.

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with being weepy. Other posters were calling for a public shaming type of event, and I think that is gravely wrong given Kevin is part of the family. One of the only differentiators Uconn has over other higher performing schools at this point is a large # of successful basketball players who still support the team in one way or another. A new coach may need to rely on that at some point. Having a Rip/Ray/Kemba/Shabazz type of player come to the school for a recruit's trip, or otherwise. If we callously discard a man who is a part of this family, it makes others feel like it is not so much of a family...

How our fan base handles this crisis will be understood by the kids who come in and try to turn the program around. We should handle this like adults...

Too much emotion right now and maybe too much competition for who can be the first to make the right call. The AD showed he could handle the changes that needed to be made with football so we should have some level of confidence he can make the right decision about basketball.
And you're absolutely right that how the AD manages the review, and how he treats Kevin if he decides to make a change, will say a lot about how UConn treats its family. Kevin was viewed as an example of how much a player can develop and succeed in life because of how he grew during his time at UConn and should not be mistreated because of either his actual or perceived incompetence. Life is a negotiation and let's hope the AD and Kevin honestly discuss where UConn is and how it got here, plus whether he's the guy to bring it back to where it's been the last 30 years.

Reaction Score
Taken at its core, this wreaks of program out of control. Coach should be the one determining who stays, not the players perhaps letting him know if he's lucky.
this will be the third season where we have a revolving door in the off-season? does anyone else think that maybe part of the issue?

Reaction Score
Well yes. In hindsight, winning vs. Cincy and then going on that mini-run through the conference tourney got us out of the first round. With a more favorable draw, I think that a S16 berth wouldn't have been out of the question; people will flame me as some sort of apologist for saying this, but that was a 3-game stretch of pretty gutsy basketball we played. Had we lost vs. Cincy, especially on a 3OT buzzer-beating 3, I think the team would've gone home after one game.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't an important game. I'm arguing against the clear statement that we would not have made the tournament were it not for that shot.

You are splitting hairs though. In a 4 year stretch, the high water mark is being one of the final at large teams if it had gone that way. That just not a strong season, amd its far better than any of the other three. Its not just the records either. Its the eye test and the general lack of discipline and chemistry.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You also said Larrier could play himself into the first round with another year at uconn so this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yup. I said that if he came back for another year and improved his handle, he could do that. Because his handle is what holds him back.

Now, is this superjohn that you have about that statement done yet? Do you have anything else to add about anything at all? Or is that the only show in the showballot?

Reaction Score
It's a message board. As far as I can remember, 99% of the "fire KO" crowd have focused mostly on the basketball related reasons - and there are many at this point - that he should be let go, and haven't gotten nasty at all.
Ollie's ex-wife is in a no lose situation.

Just another example. His ex-wife should NOT be brought into this if your statement is correct. Following this someone even posted a picture of her.

Reaction Score
Just another example. His ex-wife should NOT be brought into this if your statement is correct. Following this someone even posted a picture of her.
Are you the wife? Hoping for a big lump sum buyout? Daughter? Some other relative? Tell Jalen we miss him.

Reaction Score
Are you the wife? Hoping for a big lump sum buyout? Daughter? Some other relative? Tell Jalen we miss him.
Why whenever I make a comment a certain few of you jump on that bandwagon. Your question doesn't deserve an answer. Any discussion of whether he should be fired/paid buyout/etc should be about him and his job. Family should be off limits. I don't think you would like it if people insinuated things about your family when discussing your performance.

Reaction Score
this will be the third season where we have a revolving door in the off-season? does anyone else think that maybe part of the issue?
What would be even more telling is the ratio of players staying if Ollie stays as coach vs players staying if he leaves.

Reaction Score
Taken at its core, this wreaks of program out of control. Coach should be the one determining who stays, not the players perhaps letting him know if he's lucky.

So kids and families can't make the decision themselves. Is this slavery? 'You will stay or leave as I as your coach decide?

Reaction Score
So kids and families can't make the decision themselves. Is this slavery? 'You will stay or leave as I as your coach decide?
No. He's saying that random mass player exodus and roster turnover is not normal and that the coach should have a plan to keep who he wants and nudge others out the door if necessary.

Reaction Score
Why whenever I make a comment a certain few of you jump on that bandwagon. Your question doesn't deserve an answer. Any discussion of whether he should be fired/paid buyout/etc should be about him and his job. Family should be off limits. I don't think you would like it if people insinuated things about your family when discussing your performance.
Because of you, I hope the buyout is zero.

Reaction Score

The coach should be in control of the program and a player who transfers should be an outlier, not part of an expected group year after year.

Kids should feel like they are a valued part of the program. If they feel valued, they won't be apt to leave. If you looked up and down the bench this season, there weren't many smiles to be seen on the players or coaches faces. Most guys looked unhappy or overwhelmed. That isn't a culture kids want to be part of. This shouldn't be difficult for you to see.

Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed how the number of players transferring across college basketball including P5 svhools has grown over the last few years? I think it has alot to due with players not happy with playing time or being raised in an enviornment where their egos are stroked from such a young age that earning playing time is not what their used to. If JC were still coaching on this level I think his transfer rate would have grown also

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with being weepy. Other posters were calling for a public shaming type of event, and I think that is gravely wrong given Kevin is part of the family. One of the only differentiators Uconn has over other higher performing schools at this point is a large # of successful basketball players who still support the team in one way or another. A new coach may need to rely on that at some point. Having a Rip/Ray/Kemba/Shabazz type of player come to the school for a recruit's trip, or otherwise. If we callously discard a man who is a part of this family, it makes others feel like it is not so much of a family...

How our fan base handles this crisis will be understood by the kids who come in and try to turn the program around. We should handle this like adults...

I'm past this now. Is he part of the family? Sure. But he's also the guy who is destroying the family. If he does the right thing, and moves on so the family can heal, he remains a hero. If he stays, so he can collect a lot of money while destroying the program, then that's not excusable or forgivable. Family member or not. If he loves UConn, he needs to do the right thing, negotiate a buyout, and move on.

Reaction Score
Yeah, a third straight losing season looks real good. Sign me up.
I am sure someone will point out that a third losing season is inevitable. What you should say is, "a third season in a row with no hope for a better future." That's worse than losing.

Reaction Score
I'm past this now. Is he part of the family? Sure. But he's also the guy who is destroying the family. If he does the right thing, and moves on so the family can heal, he remains a hero. If he stays, so he can collect a lot of money while destroying the program, then that's not excusable or forgivable. Family member or not. If he loves UConn, he needs to do the right thing, negotiate a buyout, and move on.
Well said. It amazes me that people don't get this. And I am not sure what "public shaming event" he is referring to? I don't recall anyone calling for that. If he means people saying that the AD should bring up the off-the-court personal stuff to support a "cause" case, well, if KO tries to play hard ball and not do what is in the best interests if both parties then, yeah, it is fair game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am sure someone will point out that a third losing season is inevitable. What you should say is, "a third season in a row with no hope for a better future." That's worse than losing.

The few that still support KO somehow think there is still hope with him. Based on nothing, of course. For months now I have asked the KO supporters what it is he does well. I have yet to receive an answer that contains anything of substance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom