Texas OLmen to get 50k each | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Texas OLmen to get 50k each

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
There is a bit more here (… and yea, proof will in the projects completed not in a press release). $50k of value is quite a bit.

-> In exchange the student athletes will be expected to participate in activities that will benefit various charities. For example, Horns with Heart might choose a Habitat for Humanity group to support and take the entire offensive line to build a house. Another example would be a flag football tournament to benefit a youth sports charity. <-
Yeah right. Just like they go to class. Student athletes. What a joke.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
How would what you are proposing work? Most college football players won't earn much or anything in NIL, so I assume you don't want them to give up their scholarships. How is it decided who is required to give it up, then? As you said above, the $50k these linemen are receiving doesn't even cover their expenses for attending and living at school, so the line must be even higher than $50k. At that point, you are talking about such a small number of students that it would seem ridiculous to worry about it.

Furthermore, why should a person be prohibited from accepting benefits that are legally provided to them in exchange for the recipient doing something legal. If a guy convinces a school to provide education, room, board, food, and swag in exchange for playing football, good for him. If the same guy is also able to get an offer from someone else for NIL, also good for him. I grant you the morals and legalities in the second scenario can get murky pretty quickly, but in no case does it make sense to me to ever take away a players scholarship just because he got some other benefit somewhere else. Should every athlete from a wealthy family have their scholarship revoked?

I can't believe this "ThEy ShOuLd PaY ThEiR oWn Way!!" meme is even treated with any amount of respect. It is impractical, irrational, and, although I can't put my finger on it, I think it speaks to a moral or at least logical flaw in the proponents of the idea.
I think the Ivy League has the right idea.

Reaction Score
I think the Ivy League has the right idea.
No athletic scholarships at all? That's a rational position to take. The fact remains no one has rationally argued why the Texas linemen should forfeit their scholarships.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Another angle about non profits.... don't take me the wrong way, there are plenty of legit non profits (most are legit), but ever think because they hang the 5.01c3 status on their door that everything they touch is pure heart driven public benefit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another angle about non profits.... don't take me the wrong way, there are plenty of legit non profits (most are legit), but ever think because they hang the 5.01c3 status on their door that everything they touch is pure heart driven public benefit.

The IRS could very likely see this in a very different way than the donors do and it could become an issue for them.

Reaction Score
No athletic scholarships at all? That's a rational position to take. The fact remains no one has rationally argued why the Texas linemen should forfeit their scholarships.
You also have made the statement that everyone paying tuition is wealthy which is untrue

Reaction Score
All this money pumped into the texas program just for them to go 7-5 every year

Reaction Score
It’s not nativity, it’s just being wrong. It’s clearly payments from boosters well above any semblance of market value (for the “service” they’ll provide specifically within this deal) but it’s objectively not being paid for by the school.
You’re correct, it’s not nativity.

Reaction Score
You also have made the statement that everyone paying tuition is wealthy which is untrue
Are you serious? Besides being irrelevant to the argument, I can't believe you even think I said that. Even if you misread my statement to mean that, surely you would think to yourself, "I must be misreading this. No one would claim that all students paying tuition are wealthy."

So, back to my original question: Should already-wealthy students be ineligible for football scholarships? If not, what is the difference between them and previously-non-wealthy students receiving NIL?

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Besides being irrelevant to the argument, I can't believe you even think I said that. Even if you misread my statement to mean that, surely you would think to yourself, "I must be misreading this. No one would claim that all students paying tuition are wealthy."

So, back to my original question: Should already-wealthy students be ineligible for football scholarships? If not, what is the difference between them and previously-non-wealthy students receiving NIL?
Being wealthy is unrelated to their football playing at Texas. Getting 50k from a donor is directly related to the fact they play at Texas, which is the place giving the scholarship.

Reaction Score
Being wealthy is unrelated to their football playing at Texas. Getting 50k from a donor is directly related to the fact they play at Texas, which is the place giving the scholarship.
Ok. So why should a student that can afford to pay for school because his mom is a millionaire be allowed to take a scholarship, while a middle class or poor kid who can afford to pay for school with NIL money is not allowed? Let's also keep in mind that the latter case will probably be vanishingly rare, or, in any case, does not apply to the example at hand, if we agree that $50k before taxes is not enough for tuition, room, board, and expenses.

Reaction Score
Ok. So why should a student that can afford to pay for school because his mom is a millionaire be allowed to take a scholarship, while a middle class or poor kid who can afford to pay for school with NIL money is not allowed? Let's also keep in mind that the latter case will probably be vanishingly rare, or, in any case, does not apply to the example at hand, if we agree that $50k before taxes is not enough for tuition, room, board, and expenses.
I haven't taken a side in the whole thing, I was just pointing out that Tuition and 50k are related to his football playing and the rich kid scenario is something that is completely different as his wealth has zero to do with his football playing. Not saying either deserves or doesn't deserve to play, just that comparing them, it's two absolutely different scenarios.

Reaction Score

Football scholarships are supposedly "merit based"...the merit being based on playing ability.

Just as one can receive a merit based academic scholarship regardless of the student's family's wealth.

The only real difference in the NIL is that the ability to offer athletes chunks of money will be disparate among schools and recruiting will tilt even heavier in one direction..

Right now..2011-2021...Alabama and Georgia have signed more five stars than the entire Big Ten....throw in LSU and it is over double that of the Big Ten...if it wasn't for Ohio State, the difference would be vast.

And in 2022, already Texas A&M has commits from three of the 247 Top Ten players.

Reaction Score
I haven't taken a side in the whole thing, I was just pointing out that Tuition and 50k are related to his football playing and the rich kid scenario is something that is completely different as his wealth has zero to do with his football playing. Not saying either deserves or doesn't deserve to play, just that comparing them, it's two absolutely different scenarios.
I don't agree with you, but as long as you aren't advocating for taking away scholarships I don't care enough to argue.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
There is a bit more here (… and yea, proof will in the projects completed not in a press release). $50k of value is quite a bit.

-> In exchange the student athletes will be expected to participate in activities that will benefit various charities. For example, Horns with Heart might choose a Habitat for Humanity group to support and take the entire offensive line to build a house. Another example would be a flag football tournament to benefit a youth sports charity. <-
Wait wait wait... so this is a "newly formed" "charity" that raised $800,000 that coincidentally is the exact payout to the Texas lineman? This is a Ponzi scheme to hide who is really paying the athletes and so the donors to get a tax write off. Amazing.

Reaction Score
Tuition also generates money for schools. They should have to pay their own way and give up the scholarship.

A person in my industry was equipment manager for 4 years at Florida. Worked 85 hours a week doing that along with doing their own class work and going to classes and paid their own way through college. Athletes already receive well over $60k/yr factoring in tuition,room, board, all the free gear, meals, books, school supplies, laptop,the list goes on. Yes they deserve to profit off their likeness but at this point they should learn a real life lesson and also pay their own way if they are receiving all those extra benefits
85,000 people didn't pay money every other Saturday to watch the equipment manager.

They are learning a valuable life lesson: know your worth. If they weren't worth this money, no one would be paying. UT is happy to fork over those scholarships.

Reaction Score
85,000 people didn't pay money every other Saturday to watch the equipment manager.

They are learning a valuable life lesson: know your worth. If they weren't worth this money, no one would be paying. UT is happy to fork over those scholarships.
So what about me working as an apprentice electrician wiring your house or hvac or any trade school so your house doesn’t burn to the ground from shotty work… I’m not being paid my worth either I have to put in the time to get the next level to be paid my worth

Reaction Score
So what about me working as an apprentice electrician wiring your house or hvac or any trade school so your house doesn’t burn to the ground from shotty work… I’m not being paid my worth either I have to put in the time to get the next level to be paid my worth
You literally are being paid your worth. If you were worth more, you'd be offered it by someone else and you'd take it.

Reaction Score
You literally are being paid your worth. If you were worth more, you'd be offered it by someone else and you'd take it.
Lol actually no. You have to put in so many hours first before you can. I can be the best ever Michael Jordan but until I meet that hour mark I’m being paid as an apprentice

Thanks for proving your naivety

Reaction Score
"Worth" will be ultimately decided by fandom and what monetary emphasis a school puts on winning.....and the market is opened up with NIL.

NIL has replaced the bagmen of old, but there are some differences now.

Bagmen and those who filled the bags were willing to do so even though it was against the rules. Many boosters, fans and businesses were not involved in that and likely didn't even know how to get involved even if they wanted to. It was a very small percentage of a program's supporters and big money ones at that.

NIL is legal and is out in the open, so there's an opportunity for everyone to get involved, to include the non-big money folks. That includes businesses who aren't even fans of the programs in certain situations, but want to back a star player and/or program to legitimately try to boost their sales.

What a school/booster organization needs to be doing is creating a NIL system for their school and marketing the hell out of it to get as many want to be/would-be supporters to join the cause. A known one-stop-shop.

And that is occurring...at UConn and everywhere.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Dec. 7, 2021) – Two former members of the Executive Board of Directors of the Seminole Boosters announced the formation of Rising Spear, a new platform to develop Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) opportunities for Florida State University student-athletes. Rising Spear is a third-party entity not affiliated with Florida State University. The new organization will provide a platform to create and develop NIL opportunities for FSU student-athletes in cooperation with businesses and sponsors. Rising Spear will consist of two options – Gold Standard, representing for profit opportunities supported by local and national businesses, and Garnet Spirit, a not-for-profit platform creating opportunities to engage FSU student-athletes through appearance fees to help meet the needs of local communities through clinics, fundraising, community service projects and events supporting underserved communities.

Fans, supporters and friends of programs like Bama, the Aggies, Ohio State will be able to assemble much larger payola packages than the same at FSU, UConn, etc.

Reaction Score
Lol actually no. You have to put in so many hours first before you can. I can be the best ever Michael Jordan but until I meet that hour mark I’m being paid as an apprentice

Thanks for proving your naivety
You are not understanding what I'm saying, but your response helps explain why you hold the original opinion with which I disagreed.

Anyway, it's all good. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
You are not understanding what I'm saying, but your response helps explain why you hold the original opinion with which I disagreed.

Anyway, it's all good. Go Huskies!
You can have scrubs playing and fans, alumni, community is still filling the stadiums it has nothing to do with the players. That’s what you’re missing

They should be able to profit off their likeness but there is a threshold and then they should have to pay their own way (they are already being given well over 60k upwards of 100k) and their scholarship should go to another more deserving student

The players aren’t the ones bringing the money in it’s the fans, alumni, community who supports and watches them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom