Texas OLmen to get 50k each | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Texas OLmen to get 50k each

Reaction Score
So what about me working as an apprentice electrician wiring your house or hvac or any trade school so your house doesn’t burn to the ground from shotty work… I’m not being paid my worth either I have to put in the time to get the next level to be paid my worth
No argument from me. But I won't under value athletes because society under values your profession. It should be a race to the top, not a race to the bottom.

I can't wire a candle, so you have my respect. But there is a higher probability of success in training me to do your job than there is in making me a 315 left tackle with great hands and footwork. I tried D-I Football..I wasn't nearly good enough.

Reaction Score
No argument from me. But I won't under value athletes because society under values your profession. It should be a race to the top, not a race to the bottom.

I can't wire a candle, so you have my respect. But there is a higher probability of success in training me to do your job than there is in making me a 315 left tackle with great hands and footwork. I tried D-I Football..I wasn't nearly good enough.
Baseball and golf is more difficult than football those athletes aren’t getting paid

Btw I’m not an electrician I build tennis courts/basketball/pickleball/golf greens/any sports surface. But I know a lot of people in trade school/unions and they get paid crap while being very good at their profession until they meet the 1000 hour or whatever it is to be licensed and paid accordingly

College football is an apprenticeship no different. Put in your time and you will be rewarded

Reaction Score
Baseball and golf is more difficult than football those athletes aren’t getting paid

Btw I’m not an electrician I build tennis courts/basketball/pickleball/golf greens/any sports surface. But I know a lot of people in trade school/unions and they get paid crap while being very good at their profession until they meet the 1000 hour or whatever it is to be licensed and paid accordingly

College football is an apprenticeship no different. Put in your time and you will be rewarded
The argument is that high school was the apprentice period.

Reaction Score

Baseball and golf don’t have nearly the audience and basically always lose money. Not sure what that has to do with football. You’re thinking about football as a minor league to the NFL but that is a distant secondary goal. It is first and foremost its own entertainment product. These guys aren’t apprentices.

Reaction Score
The argument is that high school was the apprentice period.
And these people don’t get that without the fans (who could careless about the players it’s about their fandom, supporting their school, community) there’s none of this money, there’s no tv contracts. The players didn’t get the eyeballs or fans coming they were already watching/attending regardless

Reaction Score

If an apprentice could get paid a, he would. It isn't an act of nobility, it is a requirement. Go offer an trades person a 50k bonus during their training and see if they turn it down.

Again, if they weren't worth it, no one would be paying.

Reaction Score
Exactly...how much are the linemen at Villanova or Wyoming being paid?

Reaction Score

Well, we damn sure knew you weren't an economist :)

Reaction Score
You can have scrubs playing and fans, alumni, community is still filling the stadiums it has nothing to do with the players. That’s what you’re missing

They should be able to profit off their likeness but there is a threshold and then they should have to pay their own way (they are already being given well over 60k upwards of 100k) and their scholarship should go to another more deserving student

The players aren’t the ones bringing the money in it’s the fans, alumni, community who supports and watches them
How can you say the players aren't bringing in the money? They are literally the only reason anyone one spends the money they do in regards to the sport. Remove the players and there is no team to watch and there is nothing to spend money on.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
For me this all boils down to the following questions: If we accept the premise that these are adults who have the right to profit from the use of their names and likeness because of their athletic prowess, which I do, if/when athletes make enough to support themselves why should an academic institution bother having athletics, never mind supporting athletes financially with scholarships, etc.? Why would any fan of College athletics be interested in watching a paid development league with University logo slapped on their unis? Its such a tortured, contrived model it's nauseating.

And another thing- how do the NBA and NFL get away with benefiting from Universities-As-Developmental-Leagues system without paying a dime? Other sports have to support development.

A solution I could live with would be to make a reasonable calculation of the average income for an undergrad is for a year from their part-time/ summer jobs. This after all is the opportunity cost of being a full-time student athlete. Make that the ceiling that any college athlete can be paid. Then let the pro leagues pay it to the athletes who play their respective sports.

-End Rant-

Reaction Score
And these people don’t get that without the fans (who could careless about the players it’s about their fandom, supporting their school, community) there’s none of this money, there’s no tv contracts. The players didn’t get the eyeballs or fans coming they were already watching/attending regardless

Do games at the Rent look the same today as they did in 2010? No. Where are the fans? They're waiting for better players to show up at the school, then they'll return to games at the Rent.

Reaction Score
Do games at the Rent look the same today as they did in 2010? No. Where are the fans? They're waiting for better players to show up at the school, then they'll return to games at the Rent.
We are talking about big time football it has nothing to do with the players at schools in the south or Ohio st/Michigan/notre dame. That’s a way of life, it’s a religion they are packing the stadiums regardless

In the northeast we don’t care unless they are good we are the most fickle bandwagon fans in the nation

Reaction Score
How can you say the players aren't bringing in the money? They are literally the only reason anyone one spends the money they do in regards to the sport. Remove the players and there is no team to watch and there is nothing to spend money on.
You can find players anywhere is what I’m saying. It has nothing to do with Zion Williams or Trevor Lawrence’s of the sporting world in college

Reaction Score
We are talking about big time football it has nothing to do with the players at schools in the south or Ohio st/Michigan/notre dame. That’s a way of life, it’s a religion they are packing the stadiums regardless

In the northeast we don’t care unless they are good we are the most fickle bandwagon fans in the nation
Getting in the new years six game, the playoffs or winning a national championship isn't worth something?

Reaction Score
Guys, he thinks a guy who can learn to wire a double-pole double-throw switch has the same value in the free market as someone who can compete at the highest levels of football. Why bother arguing?

Reaction Score

You're moving the goal posts. So we should pay players at UConn, but not at Texas because the players are more valuable to making money in one place than the other?

Reaction Score
You're moving the goal posts. So we should pay players at UConn, but not at Texas because the players are more valuable to making money in one place than the other?
No I’ve already said they should be able to profit off their likeness but at a certain point the scholarship should be pulled and they should pay their own way

The only reason those players are more valuable is the school and fans

Reaction Score
No I’ve already said they should be able to profit off their likeness but at a certain point the scholarship should be pulled and they should pay their own way

The only reason those players are more valuable is the school and fans
This is an asinine argument and it’s not getting any better. Why pay pro players? I mean fans would show up at a Yankees game regardless of which player is there, right?

Reaction Score
This is an asinine argument and it’s not getting any better. Why pay pro players? I mean fans would show up at a Yankees game regardless of which player is there, right?
You just answered your own question PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES

These are college athletes. Go pro or take another route but just like any trade school there is an apprenticeship period set/mandated by the NFL

Reaction Score

These are college athletes. Go pro or take another route but just like any trade school there is an apprenticeship period set/mandated by the NFL
NCAA football is not an apprenticeship period for anything. I’m not sure why you keep using that incorrect argument. It doesn’t get more valid the more times you say it.

Reaction Score

College is the apprenticeship. Texas is paying them to do the work as apprentices, not professionals. They play football for Texas and they learn to play for the pros. Every industry gets paid for an apprenticeship. You get marginal money compared to the real deal and these guys are getting marginal money compared to the real deal. What is you point? Just because a football apprenticeship pays huge dollars compared to a plumbers apprentice? Well a pro football player gets paid a lot more than a pro plumber.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This has been happening for years in the SEC, and schools like Oklahoma, Texas, OSU, USC and many others.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
No athletic scholarships at all? That's a rational position to take. The fact remains no one has rationally argued why the Texas linemen should forfeit their scholarships.
What I meant was real STUDENT athletes.

Reaction Score
Well that solves that… :cool:

It Is Not A Sham!

maxresdefault.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members