Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

Reaction Score
Which means ECU, Tulsa and Tulane are more important than 3-5 Big12 teams.
No it means that the above mentioned schools will be available at a fire sale price.
Creating a better conference out of the top AAC schools and the B12 remnants will cost ESPN more money.
Cost not quality is ESPN’s goal

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire
We don't need no water let the ****** burn!

Reaction Score
I think FSU's President's point in going public was to let folks know, including ESPN and other conferences, that FSU is going to explore options and be prepared...throwing Clemson's name out there as well was just plain sabre rattling.

Maybe so much bluster...but also maybe opening some negotiations.

Reaction Score
I think FSU's President's point in going public was to let folks know, including ESPN and other conferences, that FSU is going to explore options and be prepared...throwing Clemson's name out there as well was just plain sabre rattling.

Maybe so much bluster...but also maybe opening some negotiations.
The issue with FSU is that albatross of a contract. How would you get out of it? FSU would be smart to shop around, but they are stuck. Maybe if enough teams start saber rattling that can bring "some" pressure on ND.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
FSU better hustle. I don't know about anyone else, but their brand these days feels very 'meh.'

I'm also pretty sure their attendance has been dropping every year for almost 2 decades so they are probably feeling the pressure to get butts in seats.

Reaction Score
FSU better hustle. I don't know about anyone else, but their brand these days feels very 'meh.'

I'm also pretty sure their attendance has been dropping every year for almost 2 decades so they are probably feeling the pressure to get butts in seats.
Their fans very much feel the squeeze. One of the more insecure fanbases among the elite football schools. Also, one of the more deserving programs of a seat at the big boy table when all is said and done. I want to be a fan of FSU, I have a place in the area and much of my wife’s family is there, but it is hard to like a program other than UConn. It is especially hard for me due to my connections to UF as well. Nothing would please me more than FSU helping UConn get into the ACC.

Reaction Score

Attendance is complicated. Florida State, my alma mater, is the only school with a stadium capacity of more than 75 thousand that has less than 1 million instate people within a 100 mile radius. The stadium was way overbuilt (to more than 83 thousand) in the midst of Bowden's top four finish run. FSU administrators soon learned that coaxing fans off golf courses, beaches and boats near their homes some four to eight hours away is much easier when winning ten to twelve games is the expectation.

On top of that college football attendance has been declining nationally as more and more fans build mancaves with high definition theaters in their houses. Florida State response to this has been to begin gradually lowering capacity while adding more expensive luxury seating (clubs, suites, terraces, loges, etc.).

But no matter what their leadership does, attendance isn't going to trend way up until the expectations of winning do. And the problem there is that Fisher fell asleep at the wheel and Taggart applied the gas as the program sped toward a ditch. They'll be fine long term. But they're in a full multiyear rebuild and have a lot more short term lumps to take.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Anybody thinks its a coincidence that ESPN pushed this to happen this year, knowing the ACC might get antsy and knowing they can throw a little bit of extra cash at FSU/Clemson/UNC/UVA, to keep them away from Fox and the B1G? With a pumped up SEC and a hostage ACC under their thumb, ESPN's crooked fingers are all over this and pulling strings.

Reaction Score
B12 has GOR through 2025. This might also test all of those supposedly iron-clad contracts too.
Its that GoR that is behind ESPN trying to send the remaining 8 into G5 purgatory.....ESPN is attempting to force the Big 12 dissolution to escape massive monetary obligations. It won't work, because none of the 8 would leave unless it was for a P5 conference. If, for instance, WVU does not get an ACC invitation then we don't even consider leaving the Big 12 until after 2025.....we will bleed them of either vast sums of cash, or we will bleed them of 4 precious years of their lives and slightly less massive sums of cash. ;) Now WVU might have to eventually bless the AAC with our presence but it won't happen prior to 2025.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Reporter [to board member going into the meeting]:
"When do you think we hear about a decision?"

Board Member:
"20 Minutes"

Reporter [thinking to himself]:
I knew he was on the Boneyard.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors